• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airfares, ouch.

Smellytele

Maybe if the airlines just have fares that were not crazy. Maybe if it wasn't cheaper to fly from point A to B to C than just A to B then the site wouldn't exist. Stop screwing the customer then they will stop looking for ways to screw you.

xwhaler

Not realistically logistically feasible.
Explain why to me...I'm curious.
Say you had a 2 hr connection and set it up so that the passenger from A to B informed the flight they would not continuing on to C.
You could then: Possibly shift folks from a much later flight who may already be in the airport into that empty seat. This would then create a space at a later time (giving you time to sell last minute to someone else)
Or maybe you have people on standby you could service right away---thereby freeing up congestion further downstream in the network.
I realize there would have be lots of thinking involved in the logistics but not sure why at least some measure of this couldn't work?

To me the goal should be to maximize load capacity on every plane that takes off. Spread the fuel/fixed costs out amongst greatest # of unique bodies.

4aprice

Dude get over it. 398 is probably a bit below average for the slc to Boston flight, and maybe a couple bucks more than average into Denver. I make this flight six a year.

If these are sticker shock prices you should consider if you can afford the trip.

Yea Salt Lake City is always more expensive. Been trying to get the wife to fly into DIA then drive to SLC hitting a Colorado ski area in each direction, but she's not so into the driving part.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

Last time I was in Utah I was having a good time & decided I wanted to stay a few more days. Delta airlines charged me $180 just to change flights.

Right, they are already making $ off you not using your original seat----they should be sophisticated enough to make more $ when folks try and game them by getting off mid-itinerary.

VTKilarney

When you game the system and purchase that type of ticket you can't check a bag. So it's probably a non-starter.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

When you game the system and purchase that type of ticket you can't check a bag. So it's probably a non-starter.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

The only time I check a bag is a family vacation. I have not checked a bag for business travel since 1990 (when my bag and clothes got wet in the belly of a puddlejumper). I could travel Mon-TH in a half size carry on. If I was going to CO/Utah I would not check a bag. I'd rent skis and pack my usual lightness. Wear my coat. I pack based on size of item (no fleecy comfy jammies something paper thin). I'm a light packer - it's a skill that has saved me 1 million hours of aggravation over the years. So for me...non-issue.

Oh...and when they scare you into thinking the overhead compartments will be full? Total BS..those are flights with wide-open compartments b/c everyone checked their carry-on at gate.

BenedictGomez

Explain why to me...I'm curious.
Say you had a 2 hr connection and set it up so that the passenger from A to B informed the flight they would not continuing on to C.
You could then: Possibly shift folks from a much later flight who may already be in the airport into that empty seat. This would then create a space at a later time (giving you time to sell last minute to someone else)
Or maybe you have people on standby you could service right away---thereby freeing up congestion further downstream in the network.
I realize there would have be lots of thinking involved in the logistics but not sure why at least some measure of this couldn't work?

To me the goal should be to maximize load capacity on every plane that takes off. Spread the fuel/fixed costs out amongst greatest # of unique bodies.

You already explained in your first post a lot of the reasons why it would never work.

To add to that, it's completely unrealistic to think you'd find enough people who essentially have to "live on top of the airport" that would happen to want to take that given flight, at the last minute, with no bags, and which you just found out about. Then there's the additional IT infrastructure/buildout/maintenance etc. for that endeavor, and a whole host of other reasons why it's more $$$ and more complicated than you think. Last of which, the airlines dont have any motivation to help people to cut their throat just so they can make a few bucks on catching some of their own warm blood that drips out.

xwhaler

My point was really that if people are doing it regardless and it cant be stopped (the A to c, get off at B) the airlines may want to try and come up with some way to fill that un used B to C segment.
I'm sure it is logistically complicated but I think the airlines would be motivated to attempt to fill the seat.

Cannonball

You already explained in your first post a lot of the reasons why it would never work.

To add to that, it's completely unrealistic to think you'd find enough people who essentially have to "live on top of the airport" that would happen to want to take that given flight, at the last minute, with no bags, and which you just found out about.

Every single flight that I'm ever on (which is a LOT per year) has standbys, requests bumps, etc. So it seems like there'd be a lot of potential takers.

Domeskier

Every single flight that I'm ever on (which is a LOT per year) has standbys, requests bumps, etc. So it seems like there'd be a lot of potential takers.

I think this is more about airlines overbooking flights than about impromptu vacationers...

Cannonball

I think this is more about airlines overbooking flights than about impromptu vacationers...

Agreed. But it's an indication of the fact that airlines can and will try to fill every seat. Including some very complex logistics. If you free up an empty seat by not going to 'point C' there's definitely an opportunity and a motivation for the airlines to fill that seat. I'm sure they can pull it off.

BenedictGomez

Exactly.

The "I'm already here at this gate to travel from Orlando to Portland" scenario is a whole lot different than the, "hey a guy who booked from Orlando to Portland got off here in Cleveland instead, lets see if we can quickly find someone who can get here to Cleveland International who also wants to go to Portand (on a whim, and without any baggage of course) in the next 20 minutes" scenario.

jaytrem

I know I've said this a number of times, but if you want to fly for free just work the credit card offers. There are even some cards that work with almost every airline (I think Southwest is often excluded). Example is Chase Sapphire, the standard bonus is 40,000 points (more if they "like" you). That equals $500 to use on any flight (or flights). That deal works well for my wife to fly to warm places, since those are typically cheap flights. I tend to use the actual airline miles for my ski trips since those flights are often higher priced. As long as you have good credit you can totally abuse the credit card companies, and the more you abuse them the better deals they offer you.

Time for me to go apply for the United Card, 55,000 miles and I'll keep it just over a year so I can get free baggage for this year and next and not pay a fee. :) EASY MONEY!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
My point was really that if people are doing it regardless and it cant be stopped (the A to c, get off at B) the airlines may want to try and come up with some way to fill that un used B to C segment.
I'm sure it is logistically complicated but I think the airlines would be motivated to attempt to fill the seat.

Maybe, but being interested in filling seats last minute seems to be a non-priority for airlines I've flown lately. US AIR in particular.

Twice in the past year I've arrived at the airport early for either my original flight or connecting flight where there is an earlier flight available. In both situations I have asked if I can wait on standby and board the earlier flight. Both scenarios the answer was no unless I was willing to pay a $150 change fee. They would rather send the empty seat on it's way and make me wait than fill it.

Makes no sense to me. They have the opportunity to provide great service. No one wants to hang out longer in the airport than they have to. I would have been psyched to grab the earlier flight. Letting me on earlier would free up a seat on a later flight giving them the chance to potentially fill it as well. Not always likely, but you never know. Say, that seat was on a flight to Boston. Another flight is going to Providence around the same time and gets cancelled. You could possibly get someone from the Providence flight who just assume fly to Boston and rent a car depending on their schedule.

But, nope. $150 to change or the seat goes out empty.

I absolutely despise everything about the commercial flying experience.

xwhaler

Maybe, but being interested in filling seats last minute seems to be a non-priority for airlines I've flown lately. US AIR in particular.

Twice in the past year I've arrived at the airport early for either my original flight or connecting flight where there is an earlier flight available. In both situations I have asked if I can wait on standby and board the earlier flight. Both scenarios the answer was no unless I was willing to pay a $150 change fee. They would rather send the empty seat on it's way and make me wait than fill it.

Makes no sense to me. They have the opportunity to provide great service. No one wants to hang out longer in the airport than they have to. I would have been psyched to grab the earlier flight. Letting me on earlier would free up a seat on a later flight giving them the chance to potentially fill it as well. Not always likely, but you never know. Say, that seat was on a flight to Boston. Another flight is going to Providence around the same time and gets cancelled. You could possibly get someone from the Providence flight who just assume fly to Boston and rent a car depending on their schedule.

But, nope. $150 to change or the seat goes out empty.

I absolutely despise everything about the commercial flying experience.

Totally agree with you on the fact the airlines are not motivated right now to get you on that earlier flight. Been there, asked the same question as you.
I think they should though and not just for personal satisfaction. Seems basic to me but moving willing ppl up in the demand queue opens up capacity/potential revenue downstream.

deadheadskier

Staff member
yup

no brainer. everything to gain and nothing to lose for the airline. Unless they are in cahoots with the airport bartenders and know keeping me there longer will boost the airports beverage revenue. :lol:

elks

I know I've said this a number of times, but if you want to fly for free just work the credit card offers. There are even some cards that work with almost every airline (I think Southwest is often excluded). Example is Chase Sapphire, the standard bonus is 40,000 points (more if they "like" you). That equals $500 to use on any flight (or flights). That deal works well for my wife to fly to warm places, since those are typically cheap flights. I tend to use the actual airline miles for my ski trips since those flights are often higher priced. As long as you have good credit you can totally abuse the credit card companies, and the more you abuse them the better deals they offer you.

Time for me to go apply for the United Card, 55,000 miles and I'll keep it just over a year so I can get free baggage for this year and next and not pay a fee. :) EASY MONEY!!!

I couldn't agree more! Just got back from a non-ski vacation abroad for 4 people and we all flew free. :) A little homework goes a long way.

soposkier

I couldn't agree more! Just got back from a non-ski vacation abroad for 4 people and we all flew free. :) A little homework goes a long way.

Just got a Capital One Venture card. Bonus is 40,000 miles ($400) for any travel. Last year i did the Southwest card for 50,000 points which allowed for more than 2 roundtrip flights. Year before did a Jet Blue card (forgot what the bonus was but equaled atleast one roundtrip).

Anyone have any luck applying for a card that you previously cancelled to get a bonus again?