• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All Groomed?

gotr0

I know Wawa is know to groom all the powder, but it still surprises/baffles me. They even say on the snow report they got 10 in of snow, but there is zero "new snow." I'd take a guess that even beginners like power because it's soft to fall on, why do they always groom??

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are a few reasons why besides clientele preference. For one thing if there is wind in the forecast resorts may be concerned about losing the snow. Additionally, they also want to build a base and by packing it down they ensure that the snow will last a bit longer. Third, they may not want it to turn to bumps and ice. FWIW a lot of resorts will designate certain trails as always groomed regardless of the conditions, but not leaving some pow seems odd.

SkiFanE

Because the bread and butter skier can't ski on anything but groomed. And I love that. On powder days ski lodges in NE are filled with people complaining about all the powder and how tiring it is, and they go home early and leave it to those that love it. I would NEVER EVER go to WaWa on a powder day, what a waste. But 1000s of others will, so it's a good marketing/business decision by WaWa. I bet the place will be insane today.

makimono

Last storm they left a lot ungroomed: Hitchcock, Frannies, Smith, top of 10th...I think they got the message from the previous storm where they did groom 100% and people complained.

But I don't know about calling this stuff "powder". I've been out shoveling for the last hour and my back doesn't consider it powder, it's pretty heavy wet snow :idea:

HD333

I know Wawa is know to groom all the powder, but it still surprises/baffles me. They even say on the snow report they got 10 in of snow, but there is zero "new snow." I'd take a guess that even beginners like power because it's soft to fall on, why do they always groom??

They are accomodating 95% of their customers. WaWa is not full of "core" skiers. WaWa sells the idea of skiing not actual skiing in my opinion, not bashing them just stating what they are. I have a mid week pass there, it is nice to grab some turns afterwork, snow days etc. I am willing to bet you would fine some freshies on Smith and 10th today.

abc

Un-groomed powder got tracked into moguls.

While you hear people whine about not knowing how to ski powder, admiting it's their own shortcoming, you'll hear people complain about moguls "being there"! As though it's something wrong with it (instead of admitting their own inability to ski it)!

Many mountains are reluctunt to allow moguls to form... Sad, really.