• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any Climbers Here

freeheelwilly

Newton's Revenge comin' up. Just finished Whiteface. Besides that, the Northeast's got Ascutney, Equinox and Washington. Anybody here do these?

Last edited:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't have the build to be a pure climber... nor the athletic ability.

That being said, I like to go out and tackle any climb I can to help improve. I've never done any mountain climbs though.

Although I have ridden my MTB up Killington twice. That's a pretty rough climb.

If I were going to tackle a climb like Washington's toll road, I would need to get a compact crank and probably 34T 9 spd mtb cassette for my road bike.

highpeaksdrifter

freeheelwilly said:
Newton's Revenge comin' up. Just finished Whiteface. Besides that, the Northeast's got Ascutney, Equinox and Washington. Anybody here do these?

Willy, how did you do? When i did it a couple of years age it almost killed me, but I finished. Close to last, but I finished.

freeheelwilly

Marc said:
I don't have the build to be a pure climber... nor the athletic ability.

Either do I but I still like climbing. You might too. sign up for a hillclimb - what do you have to lose?

And you don't "need" a 34 to do Washington. That big a gear may or may not improve your time (depending on your style/power/cadence) but if you just want to do it to do it then just do it. I'm a bigger guy (185) and I've got a 12/25 cassette. JMO.

Edited to add: I am BY NO MEANS an expert on this. If you want to get geeky with the hillclimbing stuff go here. Those guys know their stuff.

Last edited: