• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any Wachusett Ski Patrol on this board?

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
I'm wondering if anyone from the Wachusett ski patrol hangs out on this board, if so, I have an issue I want to bring to your attention (and yes, I could make a complaint at the mountain, and probably will, but it's easier to post it here for the time being).

Saturday night, my wife and I took our 3 nieces (ages 12, 11, and 6) up to the mountain. My wife kept the 6-year-old over on Ollies to teach her to ski (it was her first time out), while I took the two older girls over to Indian Summer to let them get their first runs of the season in.

I've got to tell you, the situation on Indian Summer was ridiculous. I recognize that when you've only got a couple trails open, it's going to be crowded. That's ok, I expect that. But there was absolutely no common sense and no etiquette being used or enforced on Indian Summer on Saturday night.

Seriously - I have nothing against snowboarders, but can you tell me in what realm of acceptable etiquette it is for there to be groups of 20 (or more) snowboarders sitting down in groups covering the entire trail from edge-to-edge???? It was the worst-designed slalom run I've ever seen, and for that to be occurring on a beginner trail is a dangerous situation. My 12-year-old niece, who has been skiing for 7 years so she is pretty good, had a nasty crash because she was trying to get through one of these groups of 20-odd snowboarders. She was going through a space between two snowboards - the space was about 2 or 3 feet wide, and both snowboarders were sitting down, when suddenly one of the boarders popped up and started to go, without even bothering to glance up-hill to see if anyone was approaching. My niece had no place to go, no way to avoid it (there were just too many people), and skied over the back of the girl's snowboard before crashing. No injuries to anyone, but come on.

I know there were ski patrol over on conifer (we could hear the whistles), but in two hours at the mountain I never saw a red coat on Indian Summer. We finally left, disgusted, after only a few runs.

Oh - and even worse, over on Ollies, my 6-year-old niece was taken out by a snowboarder who was riding with his ass on the board using it like a sled! Where was the ski patrol on that one???? When you've only got 3 trails open, there should be enough ski patrol to keep their eyes everywhere.

Come on... there was no excuse for that situation. Crowds I can expect, and deal with. Ski patrol not preventing clear and obvious safety hazards, that's a lot harder to swallow.

wa-loaf

I'm wondering if anyone from the Wachusett ski patrol hangs out on this board, if so, I have an issue I want to bring to your attention (and yes, I could make a complaint at the mountain, and probably will, but it's easier to post it here for the time being).

You should have made the complaint right while you were there. You should still complain to WA. You might get your tickets refunded.

freebie

that's why I am laying low this weekend, might try to get some turns in on Mon., have to go visit grams in leominster hospital so might as well make a full day of it, definitely complain right away to them though, one year I got wiped out by one of them and couldn't ski the rest of the year(strained knee ligament) and they refunded part of my season pass, they are really good about that stuuf if you speak up though

AdironRider

Talk to a manager and Im sure theyll do something to keep you pleased.

But that being said it was opening weekend at a smaller hill. I seriously doubt that the snowboarders were making an inpenetrable wall blocking an entire trail. If it was as crowded as you say, the paying customers would remedy that situation by making them get out of the way.

hrstrat57

I love wa, but not yesterday.....

Saw pretty much the same situ on Conifer about 10:00 AM.

Actually I am pretty tolerant of the snowboarders....at least they are paying customers. Most of the one plankers at wa yesterday could pretty much ride the edge. The biggest problem on Conifer was the ITC. Ski school training demos in huge groups while charging $35 to the paying customers.

I was gonna whine and complain at the desk, actually one of the Crowleys who I have met was nearby a couple of times.....I shut up and took my $5 turning in the ticket and got outta there. The lady(very nice as always) at the desk asked "how was it out there?" Crowded I said without whining......

Maybe I should have. Then again, maybe it makes more sense to rethink this whole WROD thing and not quit skiing in March every year leaving the best snow of the year on the hill.

Seriously tho, race kids on the hill, snowboarders lined up at the "headwall" it was all manageable.....till ski school newbies showed up. Inappropriate IMHO with 1 trail open. That is a pure business decision by wa management to run their ITC on 1 trail.

I am former ski instructor btw making this whine:flame:

First bad day at wa ever.....had to happen sometime. 3 hours of total driving to ski 2 hours.

I think ski patrol was flat out overwhelmed.....might have had to focus on Conifer last night to prevent higher speed mishaps.....not that that excuses what you experienced.

I'll be back when they have some more room.....in fairness had about 4 or 5 really good runs, skiing nicely at a crisp pace with one of my regular epicski buds.

The 2007 season has begun.

Played golf today.

As it should be.

Beartrap

One reason I do not go skiing before late January and I never go to Wachusett anymore. The emo snowboarders make a day miserable there. If I had an issue I would always complain, it's better to complain then to not say anything at all.