• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are private ski lessons worth the price?

jack97

IMO how you want to ski moguls dictates whether you want lessons from a PSIA program or from a freestyle coaching program such as camps/lessons.

Here's the differences.....

PSIA

Freestyle coaching

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say you could have a combination of both those styles though no?

I find the older I get, the more I ski like video 1. That's not a conscious decision where I say, I want to ski PSIA style. It's just trying to ski as 'smooth' as possible as it's easier on my body.

jack97

I'd say you could have a combination of both those styles though no?

I find the older I get, the more I ski like video 1. That's not a conscious decision where I say, I want to ski PSIA style. It's just trying to ski as 'smooth' as possible as it's easier on my body.

With out getting into a religious war or a p!ssin debate, my take from the two vids is more about technique. Look at the PSIA vid, most of those skiers are dropping the hip while turning, they are so use to using hip angulation. Then look at how they are dropping the head down looking at the upcoming terrain for the line selection. Martin's turn are done with knee angulation so his hip is aligned to absorb and extend with more range.

In terms of skiing smoother, I have seen the Sunnapee freestyle coach ski a zipperline in a slow and smooth fashion..... well she always look smooth. That's one of their drills, to ski that line in a deliberate slow way.