• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you competitive?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
When skiing the first time with someone do you have to show them what you have in the tank, first one down the hill, shine in the bumps, first out of the woods, never admit you could use a rest?

I’m somewhat like that although I’ve mellowed with age. It’s not like I’ll challenge someone to a race to the bottom, but I won’t let someone upstage me either (unless they’re just better, if which case there’s nothing I can do about it).

In a nutshell I always try to bring my A game when skiing with someone new. Lots of people say they don’t care, just skiing for the joy of it etc., all good stuff, but I guess I’m kinda competitive.

I’m not a jerk about it and I hope people don’t take it that way. I think most people think I’m OK company on the trail.
i should have let some beer bets come filtering in before hitting the reply button, but here goes any ways. ok, start counting after the colon:

in all aspects of life, i am generally competetive without losing site of the bigger picture. mostly, i feel a lot of self competition in seeing how far i can push myself. i measure myself against others in the ski world but don't feel i am directly "competing" with other skiers. immitation is the highest form of flattery after all, and good technique is largely immitation. so i am competitive but don't compete against other skiers.

i used to race. back then, yes it was a competition to see who was fastest to get to the bottom of the hill. i could care less how fast people ski now a days, i have no need for speed and don't compete against other skiers for fastest to the bottom of the hill. i would much rather be the last one down so every one can wait at the bottom and watch me gracefully descend.

quite frankly, i do like to show off what i consider to be good technique, so when skiing with others, yes.... i bring my A game and work the turns a little more than i normally would. i make it a point to get out in front of the pack at least a few times to milk some nice looking turns, but it isn't like i am obsessed, just enjoying putting on a good display of technique. i have always been a performer (mostly in musical events), so that aspect of my personality is pretty much set. but it isn't a competition thing. i'll be the first to tell someone they are making some nice turns and i will also be the first to acknowledge when a superior skier skis by me and look to see what i can learn.

i think i am derailing the topic slightly by comparing competition compared to showmanship. i enjoy an audience but i don't do so with an attitude, and i think that can be the main issue with either competitiveness or showmanship.

i think i was over HPDs word estimate. who's buying because of that, i have no idea. :spin:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
an average word legnth of barely more than 4 characters per word, blah. i should really attempt putting more thought into my wording on these posts, lol. :lol:

2knees

If we were ever in the same place at the same time, it would be either the Second Coming or the End Times. Not sure which.

I would also like to take a moment to defend lloyd- based on the information he had, his deduction is good. His conclusion may be wrong, but his logic is solid. I'd agree- competition is a binary equation. Either you are or you aren't. Knowing when you can't compete is not, however, being non-competitive. Not even trying to improve when you know you're going to get beat is.

lol i call bs on this.

I compete when there is a winner and a loser. Again, i'll state i have never "lost" at a day of skiing. what is this competition you all speak of? Bragging rights? Or are you confusing comparison with competition. You compare yourself to other skiers, but how are you in competition with them? whatever, i'll just keep skiing for fun and let all you crazy top notch competitors eat your young. :)

Greg

Staff member
lol i call bs on this.

I compete when there is a winner and a loser. Again, i'll state i have never "lost" at a day of skiing. what is this competition you all speak of? Bragging rights? Or are you confusing comparison with competition. You compare yourself to other skiers, but how are you in competition with them? whatever, i'll just keep skiing for fun and let all you crazy top notch competitors eat your young. :)

No kidding. Now I need to worry at an AZ gathering who's analyzing my technique... ;)

Greg

Staff member
Thats an easy fix Greg, instead of being a leader now you have to be a follower, no worries then.

No, because everyone at the bottom of the run would then be watching me feebly pick my way down...

Vortex

I make turns. Everyone wants to look the best thay can. I compete at work, cause I'm a salesman. I compete when I race. A good 30 seconds of competion twice. So 1 minute a week while skiing I'm competitive.

Most times when I ski I don't compete against others, but I do look for someone better than me and try to get to their level as personal goal. I identify people by the style they have.. I watch folks from the lift and get motivated by the good skiers.

JimG.

Staff member
No, because everyone at the bottom of the run would then be watching me feebly pick my way down...

This post is for 2Knees also:

Why do you think you're feeble? It's just another day of skiing and you're not competing against anyone, right? It shouldn't matter. Who cares?

You care! You think that way because you have competitive instincts...you want to do well. It's not about winning and losing all the time...it's about challenging yourself and pushing yourself to get better.

Otherwise, you'd be one of those fat slugs in the motorized carts shopping at Walmart every weekend instead of going out to the slopes and skiing.

JimG.

Staff member
I do look for someone better than me and try to get to their level as personal goal. I identify people by the style they have.. I watch folks from the lift and get motivated by the good skiers.

That's being competitive...why can't some of you admit this fact? You want to get better and ski like someone who is really good.

Why is it ALWAYS about winning and losing?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Why do you think you're feeble? It's just another day of skiing and you're not competing against anyone, right? It shouldn't matter. Who cares?

You care! You think that way because you have competitive instincts...you want to do well. It's not about winning and losing all the time...it's about challenging yourself and pushing yourself to get better.

Otherwise, you'd be one of those fat slugs in the motorized carts shopping at Walmart every weekend instead of going out to the slopes and skiing.

Those fat slugs are kicking your ass at being a fat slug in a motorized cart. You're so inadequate.

JimG.

Staff member
Those fat slugs are kicking your ass at being a fat slug in a motorized cart. You're so inadequate.

The bastard managers at Walmart won't let me ride the carts...too able they say.

I even brought my helmet for those tight situations where I might have to crash one of those fat slugs into a display of DVD's.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The bastard managers at Walmart won't let me ride the carts...too able they say.

I even brought my helmet for those tight situations where I might have to crash one of those fat slugs into a display of DVD's.

If you really were competitive Jim, you'd bring your own.

I don't peg you for wearing a fat suit though, because you don't seem to be the cheating type to me.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, I did hot wire a riding mower, but they blocked the doors and wouldn't let me in.

Yeah, Jim... actually that particular door is for shopping carts only. It is a good thing you were wearing your helmet.

And a really good thing that lawnmower topped out at 6 mph. If you were doin' 30, you'd a been screwed.

2knees

Jim, i believe greg was using something we commonly refer to as sarcasm.

I'm not feeble and i dont ski feebly. And i also avoid walmart at all costs.

I guess it boils down to your definition of competitive and what competition is. Mine is apparently different then yours. Yes i challenge myself and push myself when i ski. Pushing myself to be better than others is not my motivation. Being better then I currently am is my motivation. So do i compete with myself? lol this is all so confusing.

JimG.

Staff member
Jim, i believe greg was using something we commonly refer to as sarcasm.

I'm not feeble and i dont ski feebly. And i also avoid walmart at all costs.

I guess it boils down to your definition of competitive and what competition is. Mine is apparently different then yours. Yes i challenge myself and push myself when i ski. Pushing myself to be better than others is not my motivation. Being better then I currently am is my motivation. So do i compete with myself? lol this is all so confusing.

Actually, the "feeble" comment I ignored because I know neither you nor Greg ski feebly. I also believe that underneath the "sarcasm" was an undercurrent of doubt regarding ability, something most folks who are competitive in nature possess.

Why do you want to get better than you are now? Because you are competititve or else it wouldn't matter to you. It's internal and has nothing to do with how other people ski.

And the fact that you picked up on that word "feeble" only reinforces my point...you are competitive.

Vortex

I'm competing against myself:flag: .

Winning and losing has defined parementers. Part of the reason I ski is there a very few restirctions.

Jim its got to be a liquid lunch for you today. I posted you should take the day off in another forum due to your promotion.;-)

Chill out we are on to a new months sales quota. :spin:

So anyway your right I'm competitive on some levels I guess. Almost mean I think i'm wrong.