• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ascutney 01-17-09

loafer89

Area skied: Ascutney, Vermont

Date skied: January 17th, 2009 from 10:30am - 3:00pm

Surface conditions: Packed powder, machine groomed, hardpacked and limited powder.

Weather: Sunny until noon, 4F at 10:30am - 15F at 3:00pm

My son and I got a late start to our day to avoid the worst of this mornings cold weather as it was -4F when I woke up at 5am and I decided to sleep in a bit.

We arrived to a fairly empty mountain for MLK weekend, with maybe 40 cars in the base lodge parking lot, probably due to the extreme cold.

We started out skiing down a portion of Easy Rider and took the Village lift up to the main mountain. We rode up the Snowdance Triple and this is a painfully slow and cold lift ride, probably taking 15 minutes to reach the sub-summit. The North Peak Express is not operating and according to a lifty it is awaiting some repairs and inspection for the season (in mid January?:blink::blink:).

Our first run was an easy one down Cloudspin/Catwalk/Ridge Run/Lower Snowdance. As this is my sons first trip to Mount Ascutney I wanted to show him the mountain. The run was decent with stiff and scratchy groomed snow and nothing to write home about.

Our next run was down Sidewinder to Mayday and this was the ROTD with some loose powder and small moguls. Lower Sidewinder was not all that great though with wind slab powder that skied like broken sheets of glass.

We skied of the Triple chair again and took a run down Free Fall and I really liked that run, it's steep with some softer moguls in spots as well as a healthy dose of thin area's and ice.

We decided to brave Cabin Chute and this run is more of a cliff avoidance challenge that actual glade skiing, but we did manage to find powder and also tangle with a few dangerous overhang areas. Honestly I was not overly impressed with the quality or quantity of skiing on this run, but Warren can say he did it.

Upper and Lower Terminator where fun as was any area away from snow guns and grooming.

We had fun today, but the cold made it uncomfortable, especially riding a slow chairlift and this required a few warm up's during the day. My son really likes the steeper wild side of Ascutney and I think we will be back soon.