• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash - 3/8/06 Spring Skiing

Skier75

Date(s) Skied: 3/8/06

Resort or Ski Area: Attitash

Conditions: Sweet mid-week conditions, sunny, clear, and warm

Trip Report:

So, I went to Attitash by myself....trying to rub it in to my hubby. He told me to stay on the blues and greens..... :( Before getting into Conway, I could see Mt. Washington very clearly, all the way up from Conway, as well. I thought, man this is going to be a beautiful day!

Got to the mountain for opening lifts(9:00am), for fresh grooming. If course by arriving 15-30min early, I had the parking lot pretty much to myself, so of course I had to park right up front and center. :) I get inside and see most of the people in the lodge are of about senior citizen age, a few others with various ages, it felt a little funny being there by myself during the middle of the week, especially without my husband.

After getting booted up and getting my I-Pod set up to use for the day(first time I've ever done this), I had no problem getting first runs on the freshly, groomed trails. Step right up folks, no lines, no waiting! I started my first run on Wandering Skis off the Bear Peak side, I figured I'd better take it easy, since I was skiing alone. The snow felt pretty good, much to my surprise. Sometimes the first run feels a little crusty early in the morning, but it was softer than I expected for fist run, I'd figured I'd take it. Next run, I wanted sooo bad to go down Illusion, but hadn't seen anyone going down that trail and couldn't really tell how much coverage was really on it, so I opted to go down Morning Star and Snow Dancer, towards the Attitash side. This was still well groomed and soft. I figured I'd wait until later when the sun might soften up the Bear Peak side a little bit. You could still tell there wasn't a lot of coverage and was glad that there weren't a lot of people scraping it down.

After cross-country skiing :( to get there I ended up taking the first open lift which was the Summit Triple(can you say slooooww), I didn't feel like pushing to get over to the Flying Yankee. This was pretty interesting skiing, listening to my I-Pod, it got me into concentrating on my skiing more then listening to the snow. From the top of this lift I went down one of my favorities, Saco, Ammonoosuc, to Lower Cathedral to be able to get to a high speed quad, which always works out well. This is always a great trail for practicing my carving and turning, snow was still light coverage, but soft. You could feel every now and then the crust underneath. Again, it was, step right up folks, no lines, no waiting! :) Man, this was the best I've had so far this year!

I did a few runs on the Attitash side till about 11:00am when I started to get hungry, so I skied made my way back to Bear Peak side via Bear Notch Pass and another sloooww lift(Abenaki Quad), another area I like. As I'm sitting on the lift listening to my I-Pod, really getting hungry, thinking, I want to ski this area for a while too, but was too hungry to wait so I took Morning Star, Cross Cut, and down Moonbean to get back to the lodge to get FOOD! The snow was feeling pretty good still soft and carvable and I was feeling pretty good with my skiing that day, thinking all the while, it was really too bad my hubby couldn't have come. But I also was feeling that it was nice not trying to keep up with someone else and I can just ski as slow or fast as I like. My hubbly always has to wait for me, cause I don't really ski that fast.

When I got to the lodge it was pretty close to lunch time, but didn't want to eat lunch that early so I just ate my snack food and opted to come back for lunch later. I wanted to ski some more, it was sooo nice to practically have the place to myself. After I got a bite to eat I headed back up the quad from the Bear Peak side, thinking all the while, I really want to do Illusion, maybe some other black, but I promised hubby I wouldn't do any blacks that day, since last time, not here, but at Sunday River I took a pretty good spill on a black about a month ago. I saw someone coming down Illusion from the lift, it did look a little crusty underneath, so I figured I'd better behave myself..... BTW, I did, by accident do a black over on the other side, but it's barely a black, well they call it a double black???I think it was Upper and Middle Ptarmigan, I didn't think it was bad at all, in fact the snow was pretty good, well except in a few places you could feel the "crust" underneath. The I-Pod really helped me to concentrate more on what I was doing, rather than the scraping sound. BTW, did I mention that it was: step right up folks, no lines, no waiting! on all of the lifts!

Anyway, after skiing back over to the Attitash side and doing a few more of my favorite runs, I made my way back to the middle for a few more. That's about the time my right knee was starting to hurt and you could tell it was scraping down some, so I finailly decided that I should think about leaving, as much as I didn't really want to. I figured I'd better get while the gettin was good. I'd had a pretty good day so far, no falling, no one cutting you off, and a pretty nice sunny day!

After getting back to the lodge I decided not to sit inside there to eat. I wanted to stop at the rest area in North Conway looking at the nice, picture perfect day, at Mt. Washington. So that's how the day ended, eating lunch enjoying beautiful Mt. Washington in all of it's glory! Couldn't ask for anything better than that! Oh, did I mention that at all of the lifts were: Step right up folks, no lines, no waiting! :)