• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Avalanche on Mount Washington Buries Skier

machski

People are stupid and many don't think avalanches are an issue in the East. I. The Presidential they are, there are two GBCA areas that are avi terrain, and even happen in bounds on occasion. Many scoff at Sunday River, but both Shockwave and BlackHole slide on occasion. Shockwave even had a skier triggered slide 2 years ago, they were unhurt but swept down 200' of so. Idiots going up there for new snow with strong NW winds and ZERO avi gear. They should be charged costs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
People are stupid and many don't think avalanches are an issue in the East. I. The Presidential they are, there are two GBCA areas that are avi terrain, and even happen in bounds on occasion. Many scoff at Sunday River, but both Shockwave and BlackHole slide on occasion. Shockwave even had a skier triggered slide 2 years ago, they were unhurt but swept down 200' of so. Idiots going up there for new snow with strong NW winds and ZERO avi gear. They should be charged costs.
Agreed.

And Shockwave is steep. I thought it was tougher than White Heat in some ways.

machski

Agreed.

And Shockwave is steep. I thought it was tougher than White Heat in some ways.
Absolutely can be. Dangerous when they do the first make over the top of natural, almost always slides at least once in the process. Same with BlackHole, I watched a slab release at the top and take out 2 snow guns, riping the hose off the hydrants and all once.

Heartful.zzz

Dang, that's a scary situation! Always gotta be prepared when hitting the slopes. Beacon, shovel, and probe are essential gear, safety first, always! 🏂💪

BodeMiller1

Guy from Bow. Lucky.

There is a lot of places to ski in the woods. "Maybe I'll just head up to Mt Washington, what can go wrong." He risked other's lives.
Not the brightest bulb. 🤕

BodeMiller1

Absolutely can be. Dangerous when they do the first make over the top of natural, almost always slides at least once in the process. Same with BlackHole, I watched a slab release at the top and take out 2 snow guns, riping the hose off the hydrants and all once.
Worst run of my life by far. 4:00 and huge whales. ICE, fell 10 times. Lost a glove. No way to get back to it.
I skied past the scull and crossbones and paid the price. People can see you on White heat. On Shockwave you're on your own.

Hawk

I don't doubt it Mach. I have triggered an avalanche on Shockwave years ago. The mountan was not happy because we poached it. Almost got caught. Flew down to the summit and jumped on the bus.

BodeMiller1

I don't doubt it Mach. I have triggered an avalanche on Shockwave years ago. The mountan was not happy because we poached it. Almost got caught. Flew down to the summit and jumped on the bus.
I will not be challenging you to a ski off.🌓
I've always liked SR, but sometimes they're a little bossy. Had a security guy follow me around one summer. I'm thinking Do you really think I can't see you, in your Nancy Cushman. Do you think I'm going to steal a chair?
It's probably gotten worse.

BodeMiller1

Seriously, unless you're skiing the head wall at Huntington Ravine (no one in their right mind would). I'd think carrying A. Gear would be more dangerous than not.
Unless you're ski patrol I get a chuckle out of folks skiing with backpacks.
Butt, I'm not bitter.

AdironRider

I agree everyone should carry avi gear in terrain like left gully, but demanding they pay for rescue is just internet blowhard talk that does more harm than good.

BodeMiller1

If you're with a group of three or more yea. There's no way anyone buried up there is going to make it if a Blackhawk is launched out of Concord. Or a team is scrambled to find the person.

The helicopters in Concord are to train for rescue operations. How much do you think it costs to send one up there? How much if it crashes? There can be high winds up there,🤔

There's the sign at the base of the cone that says "Ski Area". It's not a ski area. It's a dangerous peak people under estimate because of the 6,000 ft height. If there's unstable snow...

Too many unforced errors.

This was my son and his friend, yesterday. Very scary evening for us.

BodeMiller1

Sorry to hear. Best of luck.
Sorry for the remark. I got stuck up on the north shoulder. Almost died due to my own stupidity. Gone up and down 20 or so times.
Best wishes for a full recovery.

Last edited:

VTSkiBike

One of the guys caught in the avalanche posted a message on Instagram about their "informed" decisions and various tests they did to ensure snow stability. They appear/claim to be experienced in studying snow and avy conditions but they also did not bring a probe, beacon or shovel (?)

That's like skiing in subzero temps with a jacket and gloves but no pants.

Backcountry skiing anywhere can turn serious very quickly. Be prepared and do your homework.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Video of the slide and rescue