• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Avalanche on Mount Washington Buries Skier

BodeMiller1

Any sliding snow is technically an avalanche. It doesn’t matter how it got there.
No response, I'm worried about grizzly bears.
🐻

Edit I remembered there are no grizzlies around here. No one makes snow. It's technically ice. Escamoes have lots of words for snow.

Happy Festivus and best wishes for a happy and not retarded New Year🤡

kbroderick

Even in the fall when there is almost no snow. It's like keeping your snow shovels out all summer in case you get a hail storm.

How many deaths have there been in the east from avalanches. 🤔

The injury discussed here is the worst I've heard of.

You're arguing over your head.💋

Sufficiently Motivated
Meow
Alec Stall
Ian Forgays

There have been a lot more (including this most recent ones) that had life-threatening outcomes that (thankfully) made it.

I believe Ian is the only known EC avalanche death where the victim was completely buried.

BodeMiller1

There's a wall up by the weather station that has a blurb for each known person who died. The remarkable thing is more people have died from heart attacks than cold or avalanches. These don't get the attention...

This is true

The Indians never went up there. They thought it was where spirits hung out.🤔

Last edited:
Alec Stall
Ian Forgays

There have been a lot more (including this most recent ones) that had life-threatening outcomes that (thankfully) made it.

I believe Ian is the only known EC avalanche death where the victim was completely buried.
There were two guys I believe from Quebec camping in Raymond’s Cataract that were completely buried. I think the fatality on Katahdin the person was completely buried. Likely others just going off memory.

1dog

I have been completely cover in an avy in Huntington’s but not very deep and was able to pop out myself. Flowed about 600-800 feet down through the fan starting just below Odell’s.
whoa, I've had issues, but not that extreme. Once, after less snow on Ammo side than previous week where I could ski almost all the way to Cog parking lot, lost my ski buds and was boot-packing down above Gem Pool- went right thru the snow - couple feet- raging river underneath- skis/backpack kept me above the water. Took me at least 20 mins to extract myself.

Death on Mt Washington and Not Without Peril are two decent accounts of the various ways one can die- as BM stated- lots of heart attacks. Highest per vertical foot deaths in the world. . . . . Door #1 close to major population, #2 'worst weather in world' thing due to apex of Canadian/jet-stream/gulf stream air, #3 humans with a little knowledge and not enough respect of nature - #4 bit of all three.

Spanked me a few times even after I got 'comfortable'

Best night ever spend on it was sleeping in the Cave at base of Huntingtons. . . . . . simply amazing.

Smelly- any pics?

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23

Smellytele

whoa, I've had issues, but not that extreme. Once, after less snow on Ammo side than previous week where I could ski almost all the way to Cog parking lot, lost my ski buds and was boot-packing down above Gem Pool- went right thru the snow - couple feet- raging river underneath- skis/backpack kept me above the water. Took me at least 20 mins to extract myself.

Death on Mt Washington and Not Without Peril are two decent accounts of the various ways one can die- as BM stated- lots of heart attacks. Highest per vertical foot deaths in the world. . . . . Door #1 close to major population, #2 'worst weather in world' thing due to apex of Canadian/jet-stream/gulf stream air, #3 humans with a little knowledge and not enough respect of nature - #4 bit of all three.

Spanked me a few times even after I got 'comfortable'

Best night ever spend on it was sleeping in the Cave at base of Huntingtons. . . . . . simply amazing.

Smelly- any pics?
It was the days before cameras on phones and rarely carried a camera.

raisingarizona

Wasn’t there a meat head films guy that died in a slide in Smugglers Notch a few years back?

BodeMiller1

I have been completely covered in an avy in Huntington’s but not very deep and was able to pop out myself. Flowed about 600-800 feet down through the fan starting just below Odell’s.
Glad to hear it. As I'm sure you know, further up skiers left is a 100' To 250' plunge. If Tuckerman is a 10 Huntington is an 11.
Do you Telemark up there?

I've had fun in the snowfields in the Mahoosucs (White Mt. Range in ) Maine.
My problem there is getting out of the hills and back to the car.

Edit: time flys, butt the mountains are always the same.

Smellytele

Glad to hear it. As I'm sure you know, further up skiers left is a 100' To 250' plunge. If Tuckerman is a 10 Huntington is an 11.
Do you Telemark up there?

I've had fun in the snowfields in the Mahoosucs (White Mt. Range in ) Maine.
My problem there is getting out of the hills and back to the car.

Edit: time flys, butt the mountains are always the same.
Ice climbing. Well I had finished ice climbing and was below the ice gathering my stuff and snow released above the ice and came over the ice and hit us. took us for a ride.