• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Babies or beaters??

You must really work them hard cause you quit skiing at 10:30 AM, at least that's what you posted. So 3 of your days would be more like 1 day to a non-poser skier.

On really crowded weekend days at Blue by 1030AM..the runs become so crowded from a high speed quad and high speed 6 pack that I pack it in..until this season they opened at 730AM so I still got a solid 20+ runs in..now they open at 8AM so I will have to stay until 11AM. Aside from special PASR days and gaper days..I rarely stay at Blue more than 4 hours..and the majority of my outings are after work for a quick 3 hours before going home and posting on here...but I ski essentially everyday so I'm content with 3 hours a day..

so many posts I wanted to quote but don't feel like dealing with the multi quote fnc so anyway:

some of you have said high speed gs turns OR natural terrain...like someone is forcing you to choose either or...like they're mutually exclusive

or that being aggressive and being concious of what you're skiing over are mutually exclusive

or that you can't have fun if you're thinking of your skis

I'm a firm believer and practitioner of "all of the above" Big turns whenever and where ever possible...I'm always thinking of what I'm about to ski over on natural terrain...avoiding it is part of the game for me but I don't avoid "thin cover" trails, just the rocks (most of them anyway)...snow is the surface we're all after anyway...and I have a damned good time doing it. I'm the kind of guy you'd want to buy a used ski from...they'd probably be 2 years old and in pretty good shape...but it doesn't mean they haven't been taken all over and skied hard.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
so many posts I wanted to quote but don't feel like dealing with the multi quote fnc so anyway:

some of you have said high speed gs turns OR natural terrain...like someone is forcing you to choose either or...like they're mutually exclusive

or that being aggressive and being concious of what you're skiing over are mutually exclusive

or that you can't have fun if you're thinking of your skis

I'm a firm believer and practitioner of "all of the above" Big turns whenever and where ever possible...I'm always thinking of what I'm about to ski over on natural terrain...avoiding it is part of the game for me but I don't avoid "thin cover" trails, just the rocks (most of them anyway)...snow is the surface we're all after anyway...and I have a damned good time doing it. I'm the kind of guy you'd want to buy a used ski from...they'd probably be 2 years old and in pretty good shape...but it doesn't mean they haven't been taken all over and skied hard.

Very well said, my friend.

(and now will you please explain to me the multiquote function)

abc

I don't baby my skis but I just don't recall ever coming close to trashing them, not even by accident. Despite the fact I've come close to trashing my own body more than once.

I think this is more of a "when" you're skiing more than just "where" you ski. I don't bother with first flake at all, though I often ski on the closing date. There's just a whole lot more snows on the mountain on closing day than on New Year Day. So my skis don't ever see much bare spots. The occasional roots and rocks it glide over can be smoothed out easily with a good tune.

Granted, "what" terrain one likes to ski is just as big a factor. Since I'm not into jumping cliffs, I don't come close to big rocks nearly as often as some one who likes to seek out rocks.

tjf67

Tools not jewels is how I look at them.

I have them kept in good shape but I dont do any of the work. It just to cheap to drop them by the shop and let them do it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Tools not jewels is how I look at them.

I have them kept in good shape but I dont do any of the work. It just to cheap to drop them by the shop and let them do it.

I still take care of my tools (I'll bet there are a dozen definitions to "baby") and they serve me well. I grew up having jack$it for possessions; we didn't ski because we couldn't afford to, or have a second car or anything else. That's ingrained in me, and I just won't waste anything I've earned. I've got some pretty bad "saving stuff" habits because of that (ask my wife.) I've decided that the stuff I pay good money for I'm going to take care of. I'll get some beaters (since my "beaters" are all straight skis and now gone) for short money.

ripzillia

I tend to take care of my skis. Then about 3-4 years (150 days) I sell them and buy new. Rock skis are a must in any Quiver. Sometimes I take 2 or 3 pairs to ski in a day.

LonghornSkier

I keep my skis in pretty good shape. Last year at Wildcat I was skiing and I new it was my last day on a pair of ski so i kept going off a rock that only had a thin layer of slush to "protect" my bottoms but that's not some thing I'd normally do.

Big Game

Gear should work for you and the the other way around. I have a buddy who for ten years babied his nidecker 59. Well, the think still looks great. The only problem is that he rode it so much, it is totally flexed out and unsuitable for carving anything but the softest pillowy powder.

This stuff is awesome but has a limited shelf life ---either form use or obsolescence. No sense being unreasonable about it. And P-Tex is like an eraser for mistakes. But even better as the eraser can be refilled.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Coming from a Racing background and the fact that my son is a J2, some of you guys make me cringe:blink:. I hate when my skis are not "tuned".

It's all about what you ski and what you find enjoyable. Personally, I'd rather ski in the woods with some hard crunchy stuff underneath to try and avoid (and sometimes unfortunately not avoiding) then spend the day on groomers making high speed turns.

Neither is the "right" answer.