• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Baby naming advice for those expecting

deadheadskier

Staff member
Applying the author's logic to the name Diesel, the parents could expect their son at age 13 to be cast in low slung pants, tilted flat brim hat and slinging dime bags on the street corner in the ghetto.

;)

ctenidae

Single most stressful aspect of having a kid, naming is. Except that it's an excuse to get a little drunk and start thinking like a 5th grader. I recommend starting with a few fart jokes to get warmed up- launching straight into mispronouncing and rhyming a name every possible way to find the deadly combination can cause a brain sprain.

Hawkshot99

I have a family name passed down, so as long as I have a boy, I know what it will be named. Now a girl, who knows what she would be named.

MR. evil

That made me laugh!

Years ago my mother was called into a delivery room to examine a newborn, she asked the child's name and was told by that parents that the baby was named "Pajamiss". Mom always polite replied what a lovely name and asked where they came up with it. The parents told mom that they saw it written on something over on a counter in the delivery room. Mom looked on the counter and saw a package of hospital issued pajamas. WTF......

drjeff

My rule of thumb (and unfortunately from seeing LOTS of kids on an almost a daily basis in my office it just seems to get proven over and over and over again :eek: ) is that if a parent thinks they're being cute and original by playing with the spelling of a classical name, for example spelling "Justin" as "Justyn" or "Kaylee" as "Keighli" {i've seen both of those versions more than once!} the chances that the child will grow up and have some "issues" is almost a given.

If a parent decides to name their kid after a piece of fruit, or say some famous landmark, well unless that parent is incredibly rich and can afford intensive psycho therapy sessions from shortly after that child can speak, well then there's a very strong chance that the child won't be winning any nobel prizes in physics ;)

My last one based on a true story in my office about a year ago. The child's name was "Fate" (pronounced Fah-TAY :rolleyes: ) when I asked about the name, the mother replied that is was fate that she got pregnant - I somehow managed to bite my tongue and not say what I was thinking since 5 yr old Fate was about 3 feet away from me at that moment, what I wanted to say was along the lines of "I think it was some other F word that got you pregnant, not fate! :lol: )