• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beijing - 1st Olympics 100% man made snow

deadheadskier

Staff member
I didn't know that.

It appears it will get the job done, but you have to wonder how a decision was made that a place that only averages 7.8" of snow a year was a good location for the games. I mean outside of the obvious corruption the Olympics are known for throughout history.

machski

China has been pushing the growth of it's burgeoning ski industry heavily and they have built resorts close to the dense populations along their Eastern cities. Unfortunately those are cold areas in the winter, just basically deserts. The goods are way west of Beijing, too far to base the games in Beijing. But I hear those resorts get hammered with snow and where you'd really want to go skiing in China.

All that said, they are building resorts near the Olympic venue. My understanding is that venue will not become a resort and will stay as their official alpine training and maybe competition center. But it won't become a public ski resort. I guess a bit better than Sochi's post games history.

Mt_Wawasee

Per the article, estimated 49 million gallons to produce snow. Last I heard Wachusett has pumped 70 millon.

FBGM

Per the article, estimated 49 million gallons to produce snow. Last I heard Wachusett has pumped 70 millon.
49 million is a made up number or only part of their area. They are way Fucking higher.

Also IOC is almost as bad as Vail

Also pour one out during half pipe for Tyson. Good buddy of mine who had been in China prepping all that pipe and park area for years till he got smoked on his scooter. He did the same for the Russian games. Rip

slatham

I question accuracy of thread title. IIRC the 1980 Olympics at Whiteface had such poor snow that Hunter Mtn sent snowmaking equipment so they could run the races.

I also don't recall seeing much natural snow on the ground during the Olympics at Pyeongchang either.

Also, pet peeve, its NOT artificial. Artificial is plastic or some other substance. Its frozen water just like nature snow. So its man-made, or machine made, but its not artificial.

Zermatt

I question accuracy of thread title. IIRC the 1980 Olympics at Whiteface had such poor snow that Hunter Mtn sent snowmaking equipment so they could run the races.

I also don't recall seeing much natural snow on the ground during the Olympics at Pyeongchang either.

Also, pet peeve, its NOT artificial. Artificial is plastic or some other substance. Its frozen water just like nature snow. So its man-made, or machine made, but its not artificial.
I get it but at least Whiteface had the possibility of having natural snow. In these mountains in China it's literally a barren desert.

FBGM

Why does it matter? They knew it was going to be this way but it's reliably cold so snowmaking was always the plan.
Just woke people looking for something to complain about. And if you can put China/Climate/Danger in the same title you get clicks. Very annoying

Skiers complaining the downhill course is bad because it’s man made snow. The fuck you think every other course is?!?!

BenedictGomez

Why does it matter? They knew it was going to be this way but it's reliably cold so snowmaking was always the plan.

Correct, it's a total lie & disingenuous FUD on CNN's part pushing their left-wing climate agenda. This one's so obvious it's insulting to the intelligence of even the mouth-breather's it's intended for.

BenedictGomez

Skiers complaining the downhill course is bad because it’s man made snow. The fuck you think every other course is?!?!

A bit different though for these racers, because not only is the snow man-made, but it's in concert with very low temps, so it's like concrete. Now add in the fact that this downhill track is as fast as the fastest hill they'll face on the FIS circuit, and you've got pretty scary racing conditions. Do not fall.

Zermatt

Just woke people looking for something to complain about. And if you can put China/Climate/Danger in the same title you get clicks. Very annoying

Anybody know the last time an Olympic hockey game was played on a frozen pond?

Zermatt

A bit different though for these racers, because not only is the snow man-made, but it's in concert with very low temps, so it's like concrete. Now add in the fact that this downhill track is as fast as the fastest hill they'll face on the FIS circuit, and you've got pretty scary racing conditions. Do not fall.
What are the temps there? I noticed the biathlon athletes were dressed very warm, which is odd and had tape all over their faces.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Correct, it's a total lie & disingenuous FUD on CNN's part pushing their left-wing climate agenda. This one's so obvious it's insulting to the intelligence of even the mouth-breather's it's intended for.

I definitely "see what CNN did there" in really just wanting to crowbar the climate change fear agenda.

But my point in sharing was that I did find it interesting (if true) that this is the first Olympics where the skiing events are happening on 100% man-made snow.

To an above posters point, there is always a majority of man made involved in probably every major downhill skiing competition from the last 50 years. Not XC though I don't think. Watching the biathalon right now and that's a bit more wild to me to know it's all snowmaking.

Cool they're pulling this off though.

Zermatt

I definitely "see what CNN did there" in really just wanting to crowbar the climate change fear agenda.

But my point in sharing was that I did find it interesting (if true) that this is the first Olympics where the skiing events are happening on 100% man-made snow.

To an above posters point, there is always a majority of man made involved in probably every major downhill skiing competition from the last 50 years. Not XC though I don't think. Watching the biathalon right now and that's a bit more wild to me to know it's all snowmaking.

Cool they're pulling this off though.
Soldier Hollow in Utah doesn't get much snow. If it does it might last a few days. It's at 5500' in the rain shadow of the Wasatch.

FBGM

Back to the 100% man made snow thing. This is the first? I find they surprising.

Even back when SLC had it. Every trail that had a ski or board event on had snowmaking and it was used. Also the x country area at solider hollow had man made. So does that make that all man made? No no because they had natural snowfall on top of the 100% man made?