• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

belated Sugarloaf (3/29-30) and Jay Peak (4/1 -2)report

tarponhead

Boys spring break. Trip up to SL and JP for the week.

Sugarloaf conditions (3/29th and 30th): rain and spring snow: Wonderful (but long) ride up on the 28th. Blue skies and could see the summit. Very psyched. Woke up to 4-6" of wet snow at the summit, but turned to 100% r**n by 9AM. Skied opening chair with raincoats and garbage bags until ~1:00 until the cold/wet made for a bail out. If you were not skiing anything remotely steep. it sucked. If you skied the bumps/steeps, it was awesome. Our first time there and that mountain is friggin huge. Spent a small fortune in the laundrymat drying all the clothes while boys enjoyed the hot tub.

3/29: Near repeat of previous day. No rain at opening bell but steady drizzle by 10AM. Rain was needed as it got cold that night and while not "porcelain" any ungroomed trails/glades in the AM sucked. Went in at noon and took a longer lunch to dry all the gear. Back out at 1:30 and skied until last chai or near it. Glad we did because it was spring snow in the wet slop again. Beats ice.... (Edit: no lifts to the summit were operating while we were there, that was the only disappointment.)

3/31: Woke up to more rain. Had fun but was not up to skiing another 1/2 day in the rain, then driving the 200 miles to JP with wet gear. We'll be back. SL was great in the r**n. Place gotta be awesome in normal spring conditions. Drove Rt 2 to 91 per previous guidance given here. Great ride, no issues, thanks.

Jay Peak, 4/1: Total 180 from SL. Blue skies (after the morning clouds burned off) and 60F. Place was sick spring skiing. Snow in the glades was to grabby for me so I stuck to previously skied tracks in there. Bumps by the end of the day were everywhere and increadable. Stupid happy grins on our faces.

Jay Peak, 4/2: See previous day. Nothing changed but the runouts from JFK and Beaver Pond getting more beat up by the hour. Other runouts ok.

Left early on Saturday to make family obligations that night and Easter.

Bottom line; I am really rethinking taking my boys out west next year. JP/SL/Burke can keep us entertained pretty well and for a lot less $.

New England rocks, period.

Awesome season and the DTI is still intact. Boy's sports are starting up. my season is over. Time to break out the flyrods. Much pumped for some trout fishing. Thank you all for the pointers, it really helped! :beer:

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Nice man. Do you do any local fishing? Some of my co-workers fish at Echo Lake. Season opens up this weekend.

tarponhead

Usedto bring my boys there all the time. Mostly fish the local streams now (big flatbrook, south branch raritan etc.)

Just gotta vacuum all the ski wax off my fly tying table now......