• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best time to buy skis?

John9

I am looking at a pair of new skis, currently going for $837 on Amazon. Are prices going to drop as we get into Summer? They claim to be at 38 percent off now.

drjeff

I am looking at a pair of new skis, currently going for $837 on Amazon. Are prices going to drop as we get into Summer? They claim to be at 38 percent off now.
It's tough to say. Are they a "23-'24 model year pair (where supply in multiple lengths be in good supply) or an older model year (where there may be very limted supply in certain lengths) as well as what type of ski they are (all mountain, powder, race, etc) - this tends to be a slow time of the year for most ski sales, and online retailers may likely try and run some sales around holidays coming up, and more likely to have greater discounts of older model year skis they want to try and clear out before the bulk of next seasons gear starts arriving typically late Summer

John9

It's tough to say. Are they a "23-'24 model year pair (where supply in multiple lengths be in good supply) or an older model year (where there may be very limted supply in certain lengths) as well as what type of ski they are (all mountain, powder, race, etc) - this tends to be a slow time of the year for most ski sales, and online retailers may likely try and run some sales around holidays coming up, and more likely to have greater discounts of older model year skis they want to try and clear out before the bulk of next seasons gear starts arriving typically late Summer
They are 2022 deacon masters. I am thinking maybe Memorial Day?

Hawk

There is no way to know the anwser to this question. Every shop is different. Every manufacturer is different. Every ski is different. There are tons of variables. Also you can wait and they might sell out. Buy what you really like and forget about the price. So you might save 20 or 30 bucks. Hell that's 2 drinks at Sugarbush. LOL

Hawk

Another thing to consider. Buying from a reputable shop. That way if you have an issue the shop takes care of it. You will not have to do all the work sahipping them back, figuring it out, fighting for what you want. Also when you build up loyalty you can get discounts. Where I go they give me 10-20% off because I buy so many skies there. Also they don't charge me for mounting because I bought them there. Things to think about when trying to cheapen the deal.

Edd

I’ve certainly purchased skis mid-summer in the past. I’ve started shopping hard foods as early as mid-February, when some good discounts start. From that point on, I’ve not noticed a big drop in price throughout the year. If you’re not aware of upcoming specific deals Memorial Day, I’d pull the trigger on what you want.

cdskier

KTP usually drops the price of skis and boots around then. 40% discount, bought boots this year.

Heh...guess you missed the typo I was referring to! (Which makes my post less funny...but looks like at least drjeff caught what I was talking about!)

Smellytele

Another thing to consider. Buying from a reputable shop. That way if you have an issue the shop takes care of it. You will not have to do all the work sahipping them back, figuring it out, fighting for what you want. Also when you build up loyalty you can get discounts. Where I go they give me 10-20% off because I buy so many skies there. Also they don't charge me for mounting because I bought them there. Things to think about when trying to cheapen the deal.
I have bought skis and bindings online, had an issue with a binding and contacted the manufacturer and brought it to the local shop that they told me to and they replaced it. They got paid to actually remount the binding from the manufacturer. No schelping around. Buy them where they are the cheapest and don't buy into "you have to buy from a local shop". If the cheapest happens to be the local shop then buy them there.

drjeff

If you want to buy online, just saying that powder7.com has been great in the closing on 10 pairs of skis I have bought over the last 3-4yrs.

djd66

I doubt it gets too much better. Just picked up a pair of '23 K2 Disruption STI's for 40% off (time for a new hard snow speed carver). They had some '22's for up to 70% off but very limited lengths available.
I was looking at that ski,... it maxes out at 170. Seems kind of short - have your skied them at that size?

Hawk

I have bought skis and bindings online, had an issue with a binding and contacted the manufacturer and brought it to the local shop that they told me to and they replaced it. They got paid to actually remount the binding from the manufacturer. No schelping around. Buy them where they are the cheapest and don't buy into "you have to buy from a local shop". If the cheapest happens to be the local shop then buy them there.
It's definately not all rosey like you dipict. I have bought from many sources and had shitty dealings and had to invest many calls and lots of bitching to resolve tings on several occasions. I got a delaminated ski right out the box once and it took me 6 months to get a refund. Sorry I do not see the value in saving small dollars and have to deal with BS. It's not a quest to find the absolute cheapest ski out there for me. Then again I am not cheap. Also who mounts all your online skis and binding for free? That is an extra cost right?

I go to my guys, I get great service, dicounts, they fix everything, unlimited boot fitting, Free mountings, I do not wait to get my skis tuned, next day if I want them. They give me honest expert opinions on each and every ski I look at because they have tried them all. I get pretty much unlimited demo if I want it within reason to figure the next ski. I don't know. It works for me.

John9

Thanks, for the replies. I made the order. Looking forward to them.

Reactions: abc

Smellytele

It's definately not all rosey like you dipict. I have bought from many sources and had shitty dealings and had to invest many calls and lots of bitching to resolve tings on several occasions. I got a delaminated ski right out the box once and it took me 6 months to get a refund. Sorry I do not see the value in saving small dollars and have to deal with BS. It's not a quest to find the absolute cheapest ski out there for me. Then again I am not cheap. Also who mounts all your online skis and binding for free? That is an extra cost right?

I go to my guys, I get great service, dicounts, they fix everything, unlimited boot fitting, Free mountings, I do not wait to get my skis tuned, next day if I want them. They give me honest expert opinions on each and every ski I look at because they have tried them all. I get pretty much unlimited demo if I want it within reason to figure the next ski. I don't know. It works for me.
Mount the bindings myself, tune them myself. To be honest I do buy from shops on occasion just not local shops but they are shops, not just internet sales for the most part.

KustyTheKlown

If you want to buy online, just saying that powder7.com has been great in the closing on 10 pairs of skis I have bought over the last 3-4yrs.

yep came in here to say buy now and look at level9 and powder7. i just got 2022-2023 kastles for $460 shipped that retail for >$1000. the time is now

saw my cousin at a family thing last week. dude's been skiing our whole lives, we went together as kids. yet somehow he still sucks. 6 foot tall athletic man. asked me where he should buy skis. i told him. asked me what he should buy. i say what do you use now and what do you ski. he said 'blues, some blacks, and i had a seasonal rental that was 156 cm'. lol. i told him time to get a grown up ski and to shoot for 175 (which IMO is still way too short for a fit 6 foot tall 200 lb man)

skiur

The only thing I buy from local ski shops is my boots. If I was rich maybe I would buy all my gear from shops but I'm not and spending half the money online vs at a shop is too good a deal to pass up. I mount my own skis so that isn't an issue.

John9

The shop I use does great work and the cost of mounting is a 60 dollar one time expense.

Razor

Second Level 9. Bought 2 pairs from them. Bought bindings, too, and had local shop mount them. Easy outfit to work with.