• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best time to buy skis?

thetrailboss

Staff member
They are 2022 deacon masters. I am thinking maybe Memorial Day?
Historically, now would be the time. But in the last few years many manufacturers and distributors either do not have any "overstock" items to sell at a discount (because they make less now) or they "make sure" that there are no overstock items to discount by having retailers return them. Both are meant to keep prices higher. So if you are looking for "last year's new skis" you will find that there are not many and that prices are not deeply discounted. There are still brick and mortar stores that will have discounts and you can always look to demos or eBay.

thetrailboss

Staff member
yep came in here to say buy now and look at level9 and powder7. i just got 2022-2023 kastles for $460 shipped that retail for >$1000. the time is now

saw my cousin at a family thing last week. dude's been skiing our whole lives, we went together as kids. yet somehow he still sucks. 6 foot tall athletic man. asked me where he should buy skis. i told him. asked me what he should buy. i say what do you use now and what do you ski. he said 'blues, some blacks, and i had a seasonal rental that was 156 cm'. lol. i told him time to get a grown up ski and to shoot for 175 (which IMO is still way too short for a fit 6 foot tall 200 lb man)
I've bought from L9 both online (when I was on the east coast) and now the brick and mortar stores here. They tend to have great deals and good service. I've gotten several pairs of boots, bindings, and skis from them.

machski

I was looking at that ski,... it maxes out at 170. Seems kind of short - have your skied them at that size?
I haven't, I'm only 5'7" but went with the 170. The ski is 2 cm narrower at mid than my Turbo Chargers but similar turn radius. These are definitely slalom skis, which is why the 170 max length. I like skis designed to turn short radius for firm to frozen days.