• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
put on a new cassette and chain on the Mtb and did some lubing and cleaning of derailleurs, crank, etc... went for an hour long ride last night and the thing felt like new again - shifting is crisp now.

Next up... bleed brakes.

Did your brakes leak? My LBS says, unless they leak there is no need to bleed them. Otherwise, all adjustments can be made at the calipers.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Got out Sunday for an hour and a half and then on Monday morning for an hour. Both rides were in the local woods. Need to do some raking soon...having some issues staying on the single track..esp. after Noel came through on fri night into saturday.

cbcbd

Did your brakes leak? My LBS says, unless they leak there is no need to bleed them. Otherwise, all adjustments can be made at the calipers.
No leakage, just figured I could bleed them as just general maintenance and another reason to mess with the bike when I'm not riding it ;)

I'll have to check my brakes to see what I can adjust - Avid Juicy 5.

cbcbd

Just did a nice a 1hr+ ride in the woods. Got cold tonight! Had the booties, beanie and started with long fingered gloves. Nice and crisp and that was just what my legs needed.
I have a feeling I'll really enjoy the mtb as cross training for skiing when the snow comes!! (cuz I'm not sure how much we'll get down here anyway)

SKIQUATTRO

31 Road Miles in on Sunday...temps in the low 40's with WC in the 30's...lost all feeling in my feet, finger tips were numb too....it took a good 3 hrs to get full feeling back in my feet....didnt have any booties on....felt great to be out for a long fall ride, but man was it cold

cbcbd

Warm temps and plenty of rain means ice-less trails locally, which means I can still ride midweek in the park!

Went for a cold, but not too cold ride last night on the MTB for an hour. Crunchy and slippery at times. Not a lot of ice on the trails but the tires were too stiff for much traction on rocks and such. Splashed some water on my drivetrain crossing a stream and my chain guides froze solid :D

cbcbd

Just went for a quiiick ride in the woods before having to call in to a meeting at 2. A little muddy but not unbearable. Derailleur hanger broke out of nowhere... it would've taken longer to fix than to hike a bike and get back in time (I think my derailleur is stripped where you remove the hanger so it's going to be interesting to try to take it off/put the new one on).

Great weather though... Like they say in Brazil... if you don't have a dog, you hunt with a cat.

;)

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
I was actually thinking about going for a ride the other day. It won't happen, no time right now, but I was thinking about it...

mlctvt

No 'real" rides since November but I do workout inside sometimes. Does 15 miles on my spinning bike, average 19mph this morning count as a ride? It sure does work up a sweat.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
No 'real" rides since November but I do workout inside sometimes. Does 15 miles on my spinning bike, average 19mph this morning count as a ride? It sure does work up a sweat.

I would say so. The main reason for this thread is to push each other along. For people that can't ride or don't want to ride due to cold, then this may encourage them to use indoor equipment to stay in shape for. Great idea mlctvt!

cbcbd

Bruno, here is your chance... you got a gorgeous day today and this thaw is just about over... get out there ;)

cbcbd

Got out on Sunday on the road bike after a looong time of no road...
Picked some new roads and took it easy with 46mi @ 15.4mph...

it got pretty chilly and I wished I had taken my booties. Good times... and now back to winter!

bruno

got up to get on my fixed gear whip to ride to work and i had a flat so i just got on one of my other whips--a single speed. it's nice to have a lotta bikes!:dunce::daffy::beer::flag::lol::cool:

when i get home if i go the shortest way it'll be the usual 23 miles.:idea: