• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black, NH 1/29/09

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I don't need no stinkin' edges! What a day. 2 choices, Wildcat or Black. Called up the wildcat snow phone in the car - windholds. That settle it, Black, here we come baby!

Once I got about 10 miles north of Rochester NH, roadside attractions made it pretty clear it was all POW. So, the snow-rain line is here on rte 16. Roads remained snow packed all the way into North Conway. Snow piles from the plows were taller than my car. A good thing :)

x0129090739a.jpg

Groomer does double duty clearing the lot. I would estimate 20-30 cars in the lot (including employees), with a lot of churn midday from the locals.

xIMG_1225.gif

Looks like they got about 12", it tracked about 10" deep on ungroomed. From the bottom it seemed like they groomed a lot, but when you got up there, more than 2/3 of the terrain was ungroomed fresh pow. Those that liked groomers stayed lower on the Black lift. Got there for the opening bell, but since there was no cattle call, I knew fresh pow awaited me when I was ready. So the Red Lift wasn't running, and I talked with unnamed parties about hiking it to the top. In the end, I did a little hiking off the Black lift early and found this little beauty. By about noon it still only had about five tracks down in, three of those being mine.

xIMG_1234.JPG

The fresh pow was incredible. I could actually make sustained linked turns, just floating through the stuff, getting a rhythm that is very unusual in the northeast. Practice your pow turns. After a few runs, I got back in the groove, it became easier and easier.

It was a sunny bluebird day, temps in the 20s, you would have thought it was spring skiing in New England (or that you were out west), if it wasn't for all the fluff.
I thought I made first tracks on two or three marked trails, but after I got home and started looking at the pics, I realized it was a lot more than that. It was real hard sitting on the lift watching others make first tracks on some of the runs. Most pow skiers and boarders were skiing effortlessly.

xIMG_1238.gif

Some things about Black just strike me as very retro. This pic could have been taken 30 years ago. Bag the helmet man! Check out the tracks on the hill. Crowded, huh? ;)

xIMG_1241.gif

One thing that also makes it feel retro is the lack of a board park or halfpipe, the slow lifts with a million coats of paint on them. They do have some broad pastures down low which are fun to scoot across and also give a retro feel. And yes, they still have the horse corral and beautiful ponies right next to the Lodge. About 20 paces from the lodge to the corral.

This was my second time to Black. The first time I was just getting acclimated. This time I went exploring further afield, getting to know the place better. The snow is deeper than it appears. It has filled in all but the most severe warts and you can confidently ski most anywhere. That said, I did manage an encounter with a 3' Mr. Rock in the Lostbo glades, when I mistook it for a 3' powder puff!

xIMG_1250.gif

Carter Notch Glade
xIMG_1254.gif

At about 10:30 they opened the (red) lift to the top. There was a short-lived feeding frenzy, me and about 15 other folks hitting up the untracked from the top. Lostbo, Lostbo Glades, Upper Speedwell and White Knuckle were the ROTDs for me, but honestly, there wasn't a bad trail on the mountain.

Mr. Puckerbrush and Ms. Snowsnake conspired to do me in coming out of this glade. I took a forward dive and my face felt like the front of a snowplow blade. As I slid, it got deeper and deeper. I swam for a while, it took almost 10 minutes to get out of the waist deep pow that I had just floated across.

Speaking of falls, I went down several times, all of them pretty anti-climactic. Usually I was slowing or sitting back in the pow, when it just collapsed beneath me. Black seem to have a lot of uncompressed virgin snow. A pleasant but sometimes PITA surprise.

They have some really scary signs. To me (matter of personal perspective) the trail wasn't near as bad as the sign. I want one for my office now.
xIMG_1264.gif

Lostbo Glades in the afternoon
xIMG_1259.gif

xIMG_1261.gif

Blue Groomer
xIMG_1260x.gif

The groomer corduroy was to die for. Silky, creamy. None of that washboard stuff.

The dude working the kitchen is mighty proud of his homemade chili. Claims it's a family recipe that he's jiggered with. Rather spicy and very, very good. check it out.

As I've alluded to in some other messages, the choice to go to Black was dictated not just by wind holds at Wildcat, but the selfish desire to have more of the mountain to myself. You simply can't get this sort of coverage anywhere else. I competed for nothing. It's relaxing, enjoyable, friendly. I skied from 9 to 4. Yep. three breaks thrown in there, but it was just such a pleasure to ski on that I didn't want to stop. My body is getting strong enough this far into the season that I can do it and enjoy it.

As you know, the views are breathtaking. Mt. Cranmore is very clear to the south. I always forget that Black is mostly south-facing (look at the shadows in the photos), so that makes it even nicer, but also explains in part their short season.

On one of the more popular trails from the top, Maple Slalom chute, here's the start of the day:
xJ0129091027.jpg

And here's the Maple Slalom chute sloppy seconds we left for you8)
xJIMG_1253.gif

At 4pm you could not only still make fresh tracks, you could even make first tracks on a trail!

xIMG_1266.gif

Bye bye Black. See you real soon!

xIMG_1267.gif

More photos: http://forums.alpinezone.com/48113-black-nh-1-29-09-a-2.html#post384345

Last edited:

polski

Website
twitter.com
great report and pix Bill. Black is definitely even higher now on my must-hit list. May there be enough powder days this winter to hit them all!

danny p

Awesome TR and pics, looks like a superb day. I hear ya about not having to compete for the pow...makes for a much more relaxed, fun day.

eatskisleep

Awesome TR. I hope these TR's get more people to Black... just as long as it doesn't start getting tracked out too fast ;)

frozencorn

Nice. Black is where I learned to ski some 25 years ago....probably haven't been there in 20 though.

Mikey1

Great trip report! Your words and pictures really tell a great story. Have never been there, but now it is on my list of places to get to.

hrstrat57

exactly how I remember it....

only my last visit to black I was on K2 fours and TNT's with lime green buckles ....

outstanding report, well done!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Extras - More photos

If you don't know what "old school" feels like, these photos give you a sense of it.

bIMG_1224.gif

Looking S. towards Cranmore
bIMG_1227.gif

bIMG_1229.gif

bIMG_1247.gif

This is my idea of old school "winding, narrow" trails:
bIMG_1248.gif

bIMG_1249.gif

bIMG_1260.gif

bIMG_1263.gif

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
only my last visit to black I was on K2 fours and TNT's with lime green buckles ....

outstanding report, well done!

Funny you should mention that. There were definitely some retro dudes there, one replete with his dayglo neon jacket, straight skis and 80's bindings. The locals seemed to prefer to ski in work gloves, cargo pants and windbreakers :-o. No gomers were these guys - they were the real deal AND they can ski good!

hrstrat57

That is a good observation Bill. A lot of us gear ho's forget that it's about boots on the snow.....and sometimes old boots still get er done. New gear offers incredible new technology but high end old gear is still very useable.

I was skiing at wa last year out of the singles line as I often do and hooked up on the lift with a guy about my age who was clad in quite a bit of neon and had 207 K2 VO's with old yellow Lange racing boots. The best of the best gear about 20+ years ago. Had a nice chat with the guy, he complimented me on my beautiful new gear and lamented that he couldn't afford new skis 'cause he had 2 kids racing and all the gear budget went to them.

We exchanged the usual pleasantries and went on our way.....I kept up with the guy for about 4 turns.....and he was gone.

Wow, dude could ski.....

Yep, Black is kinda like that!

Good thread Bill, thanks again for taking the time to post the goods!

JasonE

Website
www.kittiesforacure.com
I've skied Black two years in a row now, and plan to keep going back. It is one of my favorite mountains. I will be honest and tell you that I am not a powder skier - I prefer blue groomers. Anyone else out there like me, don't look at Bill's report and immediately reject Black as a destination. While they leave most of the mountain natural after a powder dump, there will be plenty of groomed terrain to entertain you for a day. And, as Bill mentioned, their grooming is absolutely the best I've ever skied on - light and fluffy and soft, like skiing on a blanket of clouds. Yes, from time to time some of the trails can get icy, but that's usually at the very end of the day on a very sunny day (the mountain faces south), and even then it's only in a few high-traffic spots. Most of the mountain will stay picture-perfect conditions all day long.

There are NEVER any lift lines. Unlike at most mountains, the food is cooked to order (try walking up to the cafeteria counter at most ski areas and ordering your burger cooked medium - they look at you like you have three heads. The guy at Black just nods, says "no problem", and cooks it.) Food prices are competitive - to the average restaurant, NOT the average ski area. The day we went in January we got 4 cheeseburgers, 2 fries, and 4 gatorades for less than $30 including meals tax. Amazing.

If you have kids and want to get them into a lesson, the lessons at Black are very inexpensive. We put my niece into a 1-hour private lesson, 1-on-1 with the head of their ski school, for $45. It would have cost $80 at WaWa, and the quality of instruction wouldn't have been nearly as good.

Oh - and although we didn't stick around long (had the two nieces with us), it looked like apres was great fun in the pub - they had more cars in the parking lot after the mountain closed than they did while the mountain was open. The music coming from the pub while we were packing our gear up was fantastic, and it sounded like everyone was having a great time upstairs.

Black is just a great throw-back mountain, good quality skiing, and well-managed. Nothing fancy schmancy... but I for one like it like that.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks JasonE for providing a more balanced perspective. All your observations are spot on with my thinking. Reviews being reviews, we each have our own agenda, our own preferences. I am alway hopeful that each reader will recognize that (just as I do with online product reviews) and draw my own conclusions.

hrstrat57

Black and King Pine are 2 places in or near the MWV that I feel obligated to support.....and JasonE. nicely sums up why I feel that way.....

"Nothing fancy schmancy".......just good, old school skiing.

bvibert

Staff member
Black looks, and sounds like a really cool place. I love the old school vibe, which they appear to have. It's on my list, so someday I hope to make it over there.