• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain 1/14/2010

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
TRAFFIC WARNING: If you are going to Blue from NJ via I-78, they have 3 lanes closed down at the Delaware River toll-booth. Take Exit 3 on I-78 to Rt. 22 into PA.

Date(s) Skied: 1/14/10

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain

Conditions: Typical

Trip Report: Crazy night at Blue on several levels.

So I pull in to the lower lot, and there must be at least 20 buses there. Crap. Oh well. I quickly boot up and make my way over to the 6 pack. Love that VIP line. Challenge was pretty bumped up and Razors was closed, so I started off down Lazy Mile. Snow surface was typical blue. Some death cookies, some sketchy parts, some really nice parts. Right after the last right turn on lazy, some kid comes barreling past me and then yard sales right in front of me. I knew my right ski was clear, but I have no clue how my left ski missed him. Whew!

Nightmare/Dreamweaver was mostly good...and less crowded then Lazy. Main Street was surprisingly nice, including Lower Main Street. On my next lift ride up, I team up with two other season pass holders in the line and they ask me what's good tonight so I give them the trail-by-trail rundown.

Paradise - Didn't ski because I heard a lot of whistles coming from over there while on the Quad
Nightmare/Dreamweaver - pretty good
Razors/Challenge - didn't hit
Lazy - typical late day conditions
Switchback - pretty good, couple of scratchy spots
Main St - surprisingly nice, even on the lower part.

So anyway, the one guy starts telling the story how his son got at ticket for skiing too fast on Paradise over the weekend when the other guy tells me he's on Blue's patrol, but off-duty tonight. Then he proceeds to tell the story how on Saturday, he was off-duty and he got pulled over for skiing too fast down Paradise. He also told a story about getting stopped on Main Street. Funny stuff. They decided they were going to run the Tour de Blue. Ok, I'm game.

The first stretch of Paradise has these nice little rollers on them that really make the trail a bit more fun. But wait...I think I see a redcoad ahead, so I slow to a stop after the 1st turn. The two dudes pass me, moving at a good clip. I follow. Paradise by far has the nicest snow on the mountain. So soft and smooth...ahhh. Anyway, there's a possible redcoat sighting ahead, so the dudes come to a stop right before the last left turn. False alarm, and we joke about it. So the last section, I let the two dudes lead, but I let it all out and quickly smoke past them.

I wait for them at the Quad and ride up with them again. Next run, Nightmare/Dreamweaver I ski with them again. On the last section of Dreamweaver, the off-duty ski patrol guy is hauling ass and I'm keeping up with him. I had to get a little low to pass him in Lower Paradise. Good thing I was a little small already...that always helps. It was kinda crowded and I was a little closer then I'm comfortable with passing him, but I squeeze by. Zero commentary out of Mr. Off-duty. Nice.

Later in the night, I share a ride with an on-duty ski patrol guy. He's asking me if I think the snow is better this year. He tells me that they (not sure who exactly "they" are) are under new management this year and management wants them to get the opinions of people on how Blue is doing. I give him the same play-by-play I gave the other dudes, only I add in that Paradise has the best snow on the mountain. He then tells me that he's off to do some speed patrol over there. I tell him that I feel sorry for him. Two runs later, I took a responsible run down Paradise to find him standing about half-way down on the last section. Overall, it was a pretty interesting night at Blue.

Lift line
IMG_0128.jpg

Nightmare
IMG_0135.jpg

Dreamweaver
IMG_0137.jpg

Main Street
IMG_0138.jpg

Lazy?
IMG_0141.jpg

Switchback
IMG_0145.jpg

One for the bump lovers
IMG_0147.jpg

As I'm de-booting, a death cookie falls out of the cuff of my ski pants. I thought I'd share it with you.
IMG_0151.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Main Street
IMG_0138.jpg

One for the bump lovers
IMG_0147.jpg

Wow. Those bumps look nice. And I couldn't care less if they were seeded or natural, they still look awesome. Good on Blue for that! :spread:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Wow. Those bumps look nice. And I couldn't care less if they were seeded or natural, they still look awesome. Good on Blue for that! :spread:
They look even nicer in person. If I had any sort of mediocre bump skills, I would have give them a run or two. Challenge had some bumps too, but not as nice as Barney's

Glenn

Do the patrollers really wait and scope out people who are skiing "fast"?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Do the patrollers really wait and scope out people who are skiing "fast"?
Yes. On the last straightaway on Paradise there were two of them standing there. I could hear them yelling at people to slow down.

I'll try to get a picture of this in a future TR.

Greg

Staff member
Yes. On the last straightaway on Paradise there were two of them standing there. I could hear them yelling at people to slow down.

Do they yell at people ripping through the bumps too?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Do they yell at people ripping through the bumps too?
I don't think so, but there are slow signs up at the bottom where Main Street, Lazy Mile and Shuttle all merge. The off-duty patroller I skied with was talking about how he was doing speed patrol in that intersection over the weekend.

Glenn

"Slow down! What the hell are you doing? Trying to have fun?"