• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Booked: Utah for January, Wyoming for February

jaywbigred

Utah = Flying in to SLC on Sat. the 23rd. My buddy from college has a condo for the week at Wolf Creek, near Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. His brother and brother-in-law are joining on Weds afternoon, which means our bedroom was free from Sat-Weds, so with a free airline voucher from a family friend, we thought "Why not??". Anyone have any words of wisdom (passed what I've read from old TRs) regarding either Powder Mountain or Snowbasin?

Wyoming = Jackson Hole! I visited Jackson when I was 14, during the summer, and am looking forward to going back. We are going with another adventurous couple. It breaks down well, my buddy is a little less skilled than me, but still an advanced skier with a can-do aggressiveness, and his gf is an intermediate with a lot of snow time but without the same aggressiveness. I will ski with my buddy, and my gf (strong strong intermediate, or weak advanced) will ski with his, most of the time.

I am a little worried about the ladies finding terrain, but my internet research suggests that, while JH is known for its tough stuff, there is plenty of strong intermediate terrain for them. Is this correct?

Also, does anyone have any strong opinions between staying in town vs. staying at the mountain? My inclination is always to stay at the mountain, esp. if it snows.

Also, I've read that a number of lodging places will pick you up from the airport. Anyone know any for sure? With this as the case, is there any need to rent a car? If we stay at the mountain, that is...

I know the town is cute/nice, but not sure how high on our priority list we are going to put it...skiing will be foremost.

Moe Ghoul

Utah = Flying in to SLC on Sat. the 23rd. My buddy from college has a condo for the week at Wolf Creek, near Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. His brother and brother-in-law are joining on Weds afternoon, which means our bedroom was free from Sat-Weds, so with a free airline voucher from a family friend, we thought "Why not??". Anyone have any words of wisdom (passed what I've read from old TRs) regarding either Powder Mountain or Snowbasin?

Wyoming = Jackson Hole! I visited Jackson when I was 14, during the summer, and am looking forward to going back. We are going with another adventurous couple. It breaks down well, my buddy is a little less skilled than me, but still an advanced skier with a can-do aggressiveness, and his gf is an intermediate with a lot of snow time but without the same aggressiveness. I will ski with my buddy, and my gf (strong strong intermediate, or weak advanced) will ski with his, most of the time.

I am a little worried about the ladies finding terrain, but my internet research suggests that, while JH is known for its tough stuff, there is plenty of strong intermediate terrain for them. Is this correct?

Also, does anyone have any strong opinions between staying in town vs. staying at the mountain? My inclination is always to stay at the mountain, esp. if it snows.

Also, I've read that a number of lodging places will pick you up from the airport. Anyone know any for sure? With this as the case, is there any need to rent a car? If we stay at the mountain, that is...

I know the town is cute/nice, but not sure how high on our priority list we are going to put it...skiing will be foremost.

Powder mountain = Nice terrain, but is fairly lame sans "Powder". Absolutely nothing around there except the mountain, nice old school lodge, minimal crowds.

Snobasin= Great terrain on and off, elegant lodges (Sun Valley resort) fairly minimal crowds as well due to lack of hotels and lodging around there. We stayed in Ogden last year and skied both hills. Took a day trip to Altabird as well, which is worthwhile.

JH= Plenty of terrain for the intermediate skier, free shuttles from the mountain into town (can't recall what time it stops running). If you have ladies in tow, and they don't mind shuttle busses, they will def want to do a few hours in town to shop and check it out if that's their thing. Not to mention plenty of other non ski recreational things to do like the sled rides thru elk habitats, etc. Was planning a January trip there myself, but may push it into late Feb/early March now due to a trip to Stowe and Maine in Jan.

Talisman

Anyone have any words of wisdom (passed what I've read from old TRs) regarding either Powder Mountain or Snowbasin?

Powder mountain holds powder long after other areas have been tracked out, but is a fairly flat mountain. The Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville is a fun watering hole.

Snow Basin is excellent and I prefer it to many other UT ski areas because: it isn't very corwded, lots of nooks and crannies to find untracked snow and a lift system that doesn't require much traversing.

I am a little worried about the ladies finding terrain, but my internet research suggests that, while JH is known for its tough stuff, there is plenty of strong intermediate terrain for them. Is this correct? Yes

Also, does anyone have any strong opinions between staying in town vs. staying at the mountain? I like the town better than the resort but there is a shuttle.

Also, I've read that a number of lodging places will pick you up from the airport. Anyone know any for sure? With this as the case, is there any need to rent a car? I don't know for sure, but it isn't far to the resort from the airport, so a cab is an option.

4aprice

Hey Jay:

There's a little mountain (I think its called Wolf Creek) almost right outside your door. I wouldn't spend a day there but they do have night skiing and it looks like it would be fun for a few runs.

Powmow is lots of fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jonhere

I go to Jackson every January and SLC every March. There is plenty of good intermediate terrain at JHole. Much of it is accessible from the Gondola, Casper, and Apres Vous chairlifts. I would recommend looking into the Grand Targhee shuttle for a day. Great intermediate terrain there with little crowds and tons of Powder.

I would also recommend staying in town if you are on a budget. Much, Much, MUch cheaper. More to do in the evenings in Jackson than the Village anyway. If you stay at one of the Town Square Inns, you get a free shuttle that drops you off at the base of the Tram.

Powder Mountain and Snowbasin are much different from one another. Both are far enough from the Canyons and Park City so the crowds are small. I like Powder for the rustic feel and as the name implies the Powder you can find days after a storm. Not a resort you'll want to spend numerous days at IMHO but you will want to try it.

Snowbasin is the best for lifts, facilities, and groomers. Overall a good layout with little crowds. Better yet a great value. You can get tickets for like $58 at a ski shop in town.

Let me know if you have any questions on any thing else.

jaywbigred

I go to Jackson every January and SLC every March. There is plenty of good intermediate terrain at JHole. Much of it is accessible from the Gondola, Casper, and Apres Vous chairlifts. I would recommend looking into the Grand Targhee shuttle for a day. Great intermediate terrain there with little crowds and tons of Powder.

I would also recommend staying in town if you are on a budget. Much, Much, MUch cheaper. More to do in the evenings in Jackson than the Village anyway. If you stay at one of the Town Square Inns, you get a free shuttle that drops you off at the base of the Tram.

Powder Mountain and Snowbasin are much different from one another. Both are far enough from the Canyons and Park City so the crowds are small. I like Powder for the rustic feel and as the name implies the Powder you can find days after a storm. Not a resort you'll want to spend numerous days at IMHO but you will want to try it.

Snowbasin is the best for lifts, facilities, and groomers. Overall a good layout with little crowds. Better yet a great value. You can get tickets for like $58 at a ski shop in town.

Let me know if you have any questions on any thing else.

If one were to stay at Teton Village rather than in town (i.e. if I give in to the pleading of the gf)...what would be the best place to look at (forget the hostel and forget the Four Seasons...something in the middle, i'd say). Alpenhof? Terra? Something else?

Has anyone rented a condo in the area?