• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Advice

MR. evil

http://www.skis.com/product/109062/Tecnica+Attiva+V2+6+Ultra+fit+Women%27s+Ski+Boots

http://www.skis.com/product/109057/Tecnica+Attiva+V2+8+Ultra+Fit+Women's+Ski+Boots

We got Randi some new boots this past fall, but they were not fit right and they just are not working for her. Way too much movement in the heel. So it is time to get her some new boots. We stopped at Ski Market in Avon on the way home from work to try on some boots. After about an hour, numerous pairs of boots & one really great salesman she found a pair she really liked that fit her perfect. They are a pair of Technica Attiva V2 6’s, the first link above. The shop also has the next Technica boot higher in the series, the Attiva V2 8 but not in her size. The saleman told us that the two pair of boot are very similar with the only real difference in the flex rating. The V2 6 have a flex rating of 70 and are listed as boots for skiers level 3 thru 5. The V2 8 have a flex rating of 80 and are listed as a boot for skiers level 4 thru 6. Both Randi’s and my feeling is that she should get the V2 8’s as she could grow into them. Ski Market has a pair in her size in a shop in RI and are having them shipped to the Avon store so she can try them on.

What do you guys think? I know nothing about flex ratings or skill levels. Randi is high level intermediate skier who is just getting into skiing bumps, moguls and the trees.

Marc, I am waiting for a graph & diagram:wink:

Paul

You should post this up in Jeff's thread.

FWIW, my wife just picked-up the Attiva M10. Same as the ones your wife is looking at, just a higher-volume. So far, so good. I know she absolutely wouldn't want anything with less flex. But then again, she spends her time on the groomers, and usually is cruising with the wee-one.

Paul

http://forums.alpinezone.com/17325-2007-08-resident-boot-fitter-thread.html

Oops, sorry, forgot
noob.jpg

jack97

What do you guys think? I know nothing about flex ratings or skill levels. Randi is high level intermediate skier who is just getting into skiing bumps, moguls and the trees.

What I've been hearing is that expert bumpers don't want a stiff boot. They want a softer flex maybe like one or two levels below a race boot. Another thing is a boot with lots of forward lean or forward cuff. This helps in maintaining shin pressure and getting off the backseat. The guys who post at BMM's forum all go for lange (they have alot of forward lean), anywhere from a 90 to 100 flex rating, I think the langes can go up to 120. I don't think the flex rating and forward lean is consistent from vendor to vendor.

That's what I recalled but my knoggin has hit the bumps too many times this year :dunce:

Oh yeah, if you don't like langes try dalbello (sp?), they have intermediate model which have softer/more flex with adjustment for cuff lean and heel ramp. Again, the later features helps in getting off the backseat.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

Another thing is a boot with lots of forward lean or forward cuff. This helps in maintaining shin pressure and getting off the backseat.

That's what I used to think until I went to a boot fitter. I had the spoilers set for max forward lean and he took me the completely opposite direction. Took out the spoilers added padding in front of the tongue and then put lifters under the toes to balance me. If your balance is too far forward it causes you stick your butt out to compensate and puts you in the backseat. I feel much more comfortable in my position now and am skiing better and getting faster times in racing as well. Women have different centers of gravity than men, but the same rules apply. A booster strap will give you good shin pressure if you feel you don't have enough.

I would get the stiffer boot though. It will last you longer. Then go out and get a balancing. :grin:

jack97

That's what I used to think until I went to a boot fitter. I had the spoilers set for max forward lean and he took me the completely opposite direction. Took out the spoilers added padding in front of the tongue and then put lifters under the toes to balance me. If your balance is too far forward it causes you stick your butt out to compensate and puts you in the backseat. I feel much more comfortable in my position now and am skiing better and getting faster times in racing as well. Women have different centers of gravity than men, but the same rules apply. A booster strap will give you good shin pressure if you feel you don't have enough.

I would get the stiffer boot though. It will last you longer. Then go out and get a balancing. :grin:

I can understand that for racing, going stiff as well as a more cuff neutral. But the advice was for mogul skiing and the consideration is slightly different, the start of the turn is done with a taller stance, thus the tendency to stick the butt out should be less. And from this taller stance you want get that shin pressure on to the dh ski. Another thing that bumpers constantly work on is getting the hips forward instead of hunching over with the back to weight that dh ski. The saying is push the bush or stick the dick.

Also, when you start to use more absorption and eventually into deeper absorption, you want the forward lean in the boots just to maintain balance during this position. Again, max absorption is not a consideration in the alpine racing scene.

Last edited:

jack97

The guys who post at BMM's forum all go for lange (they have alot of forward lean), anywhere from a 90 to 100 flex rating, I think the langes can go up to 120. I don't think the flex rating and forward lean is consistent from vendor to vendor.

That's what I recalled but my knoggin has hit the bumps too many times this year :dunce:

OK, I am losing my memory.... the bumpers at BMM's site go anywhere from a lange 90 -120 flex. Lange maxes out on the flex at 150.

Damn.... too many hits on those icy bumps.

wa-loaf

I can understand that for racing, going stiff as well as a more cuff neutral. But the advice was for mogul skiing and the consideration is slightly different, the start of the turn is done with a taller stance, thus the tendency to stick the butt out should be less. And from this taller stance you want get that shin pressure on to the dh ski. Another thing that bumpers constantly work on is getting the hips forward instead hunch over with the back to weight that dh ski. The saying is push the bush or stick the dick.

Yea, but they're talking about an intermediate/advanced boot and going stiffer here is better for the long run. And although Greg's got them addicted to the Sundown bumps, she would be better off with a more neutral position for all round skiing. Something with a removeable/adjustable spoiler would be good. That way you can increase your forward lean when bumping it up. Just my $.02.

jack97

Dalbello's intermediate boots have lots of adjustments; flex, forward lean and heel ramp. And sorry I don't buy into a stiff and cuff neutral boot for all around skiing, seems to groomer/race centric.

And although Greg's got them addicted to the Sundown bumps,....
I think you're one of the few who missed out on Greg's mind meld initiation when you registered into this site.

wa-loaf

And sorry I don't buy into a stiff and cuff neutral boot for all around skiing, seems to groomer/race centric.

Not talking about a stiff cuff, the question was for intermediate type boots. In this case getting the stiffer (not race or even expert stiff) will be more useful as the skill level goes up.

Skiing with the neutral stance has made me more comfortable in the bumps and crud as well. I don't ski with a particularly stiff boot. With Nordicas the race boots are 150 and I'm in a 120 flex.

I think you're one of the few who missed out on Greg's mind meld initiation when you registered into this site.

I only like groomers for racing and when there is nothing else to ski. I'd rather be in the bumps, trees, and whenever possible the pow. I drink the bump koolaid, but i can rip GS turns too and can be happy on the groomers if there are no other options.

jack97

Skiing with the neutral stance has made me more comfortable in the bumps and crud as well.

Lemaster's skiers edge has a section on forward lean consideration. He shows a montage of a bumper and why they want more forward lean when they get into the absorption part pf the turn.

..I don't ski with a particularly stiff boot. With Nordicas the race boots are 150 and I'm in a 120 flex....

Is that about two-three level below the stiffest boot?

wa-loaf

I think we've officially hijacked the thread

Lemaster's skiers edge has a section on forward lean consideration. He shows a montage of a bumper and why they want more forward lean when they get into the absorption part pf the turn.

I'd be interested to read more if you have a link. I'm speaking more from what I learned in boot fitting and personal experience. And you are more focused on the bump aspect here than I am.

Is that about two-three level below the stiffest boot?

I have the Hot Rods which are based on the Doberman Shell. They're considered a high-performance freeride boot. The full on races are 150s and then the "citizen" race is a 130. The Speedmachine 14, which is more comfy and has more bells and whistles is adjustable from 120 - 130 and is the "front side" expert boot.

jack97

I'd be interested to read more if you have a link. I'm speaking more from what I learned in boot fitting and personal experience. And you are more focused on the bump aspect here than I am.

The link is to the book. Its cheap and fill with good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Skiers-Edge-R...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204086785&sr=8-1

btw, I'm done with the hijack, I need my beauty rest.

RISkier

My only real advice is that I'd really think about going to someone like Jeff Bokem for a fitting.

bvibert

Staff member
I'd go with the stiffer boot. It's not like we're talking about anything near race boot stiffness here. Then again Randi isn't exactly heavy so I don't know how much stiffness is going to be too much for her to flex. She's gonna want something that she can flex while absorbing the bumps. I'd see just how stiff the stiffer ones are in comparison to the less stiff ones and if they seem like she can still flex em then go with the stiffer ones...

Also keep in mind that flex ratings are manufacturer specific, in other words 120 flex Tecnica isn't necessarily the same as 120 flex Nordica..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The only advice I can offer is to try them out side by side and compare. Then again, remember that my boots suck and don't fit right. So take my advice for what it's worth... ;)