• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boots? Need some input.

prophet0426

So the new boot search has begun, and I am trying to get some input about two in particular and if anyone has any experience with them.

I'm currently skiing a pair of Atomic B9's that I like and are super comfy, but given that they are a 90 flex they kind of give a lot when put through the paces. I generally ski pretty hard and about 80-90% of the time in the trees. I've also started to do some b/c and want to get a boot that can transition from resort to b/c without any issues. I currently use the
B9's and it's done alright minus breaking the forward lean once while skinning up Doublehead....

So the two boots that I need input on are the Salomon Quest 10 or 12, and the Atomic Tracker 130. Both boots are based off a standard plug boot, but have had the a/t features added. I'm interested in fit, and how the boot performs most of all. I would be replacing the foot beds in either boot so no to concerned about how the bed feel and hold up.

Of course any other suggestions are welcome as well!

Thanks for the input and help!

catskills

H'mm the B cup is probably too small. I am thinking more a long the lines of C and D cup. Anything larger than a D cup can be a real handful.

〽❄❅

I tried on all of them so can only comment on fit/feel. The Salomon Quest 10 fit tighter therefor better on the downhill then the Quest 12. Both were the wrong shape for my square toes (think vibram five finger shoes), as are all Salomon boots, pinching my big or little toe. The two also had too much room in the heel/ankle area.
The Atomic Tracker 130 has a higher cuff and a tighter fit, ankle hold was great but toe box is to cramped foe me, squeezing both my little and big toes.
Neither have a good walk mode range of motion but that's not what they're intended for. All are on the heavy side. Flex felt progressive enough but in a shop at room temp they feel softer then they'll ski on the slopes at ≥32º F, so i can't really comment on the flex ratings other than that the Tracker 130 felt stiffer than the Quest 12's.
I'd think the Tracker 130 will provide the best alpine performance if you can fit it.

If they don't work, Technica has a new line for '12 which will compete in the same "side country" market -
www.wildsnow.com/4483/tecnica-cochise-boot-review/

I'm betting Garmont's two '11/12 models with swappable DIN/tec blocks are the ones to watch (at least for my needs and foot shape).
The Garmont Delirium is a 130 flex beef boot along with the slightly softer Mystic -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgdxv17sTo
http://garmontpr.blogspot.com/2011/01/delirium.html

prophet0426

I knew you were going to say that!

I know we were having this conversation on the side, but I'll keep it going here... Did you give up on the Garmonts? If I remember right they were a good fit. Too pricey?

No still looking at those too, but I'm worried that they may flex to much. Although the new Garmonts that are psoted in this thread are pretty sweet! What I really need to do is find a demo and try all of these out in the same conditions.

Might buy a tix for that show too.

Hey there's something to be said for a good handful.....

Cannonball

〽❄❅;624047 said:
I tried on all of them so can only comment on fit/feel. The Salomon Quest 10 fit tighter therefor better on the downhill then the Quest 12. Both were the wrong shape for my square toes (think vibram five finger shoes), as are all Salomon boots, pinching my big or little toe. The two also had too much room in the heel/ankle area.
The Atomic Tracker 130 has a higher cuff and a tighter fit, ankle hold was great but toe box is to cramped foe me, squeezing both my little and big toes.
Neither have a good walk mode range of motion but that's not what they're intended for. All are on the heavy side. Flex felt progressive enough but in a shop at room temp they feel softer then they'll ski on the slopes at ≥32º F, so i can't really comment on the flex ratings other than that the Tracker 130 felt stiffer than the Quest 12's.
I'd think the Tracker 130 will provide the best alpine performance if you can fit it.

If they don't work, Technica has a new line for '12 which will compete in the same "side country" market -
www.wildsnow.com/4483/tecnica-cochise-boot-review/

I'm betting Garmont's two '11/12 models with swappable DIN/tec blocks are the ones to watch (at least for my needs and foot shape).
The Garmont Delirium is a 130 flex beef boot along with the slightly softer Mystic -
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgdxv17sTo
http://garmontpr.blogspot.com/2011/01/delirium.html

Have you tried Lange's Banshee Pro? They have a big roomy toe-box but a snug heel and ankle. I've been skiing them for 3 years now and have never had such a comfortable boot. even right out of the box.

They market them as kind of a sidecountry boot also. With vibram soles, etc. They may fit the same category as the other boots you're talking about. But I'll tell you what I've been telling Prophet, which is that they are VERY heavy. I've done some skinning in them. You can definitely notice the weight, but the comfort may make up for it. And they excel on the down.

tjf67

I knew you were going to say that!

I know we were having this conversation on the side, but I'll keep it going here... Did you give up on the Garmonts? If I remember right they were a good fit. Too pricey?

Most of the people I ski with that have switched from alpine have gone with the Garmonts. I have not heard anything bad about them.

Puck it

Have you any BD boots? I have heard good things on them, too narrow for me even to consider though. I am going to look at Dynafits, not sure on their volume though.

snowmonster

I was going to suggest the BD Quadrant -- 103 mm in the toebox and slightly lighter than the Factor.

I have been on the Factor for about three seasons and am very satisfied with them. Very solid on the downhill and good enough for the uphill. They are heavy for AT boots (but as a skier on Moosilauke said to me "go hit the gym and work on your quads") and that's why the Quadrant intrigues me.

〽❄❅

Factors are too narrow for me too. The BD Quadrant is nice but doesn't have swap-able DIN blocks. It's either compromise release performance by coupling the lugged sole with a adjustable toe and sliding AFD Alpine binding such as a Marker Squire which still may not have the proper ramp angle for the sole's rocker, or be limited to a AT plate type (duke etc), or tech binding, if that's a issue.

Last edited: