• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Ski & Snowboard Expo 11/15/13

Cannonball

Not able to get on the hill this weekend, so the best I can do for a trip report was the expo last night. I don't go every year so it's a little hard to judge, but I'd say this one was above average. The vibe was good and the exhibitors seem to have stepped it up a bit. A few of the standouts:

Long Trail Beer cart. It was like shooting fish in a barrel for the guy working the cart. The line at the Long Trail draught booth would start to get a little bit long and the beer cart guy would roll right up to the line of people! Brilliant. Drinking $7 beers really made it feel like the ski season was underway :beer:

Cannon brought an entire old tram car to the show and they had some classic footage from the 1930's playing. Their pre-scheduled "cram the tram" giveaways brought a lot of people to booth all at once for free t-shirts.

Stowe had an impressive presence that covered basically a whole row of booths. It did sort of beg the question: if they spent less on stuff like this could their tickets cost less?

Sunday River had a giant, realistic 3D model of the whole resort. It was pretty cool to see. But the general conversation around the model was "yeah, see how spread out it is...PIA to get around!"

Ski the East was doing their usual thing...which basically consists of just being groovy. So of course they had a consistent crowd of groovy people hanging around.

New England Ski Museum, Friends of Tuckerman Ravine, New England Disabled Sports and some of the other non-profits had cool booths with good people. It was god to see that they seemed to be attracting visitors pretty much the whole time.

Deals = none. I looked at some skis, snowboards, bindings, and helmets. I found them to be pretty much the same pricing that you'd find in any shop. It's not clear to me why people get hyped up to sift through piles of regularly priced equipment in an uncomfortable setting. But there were plenty of people buying, so mission accomplished for the sellers.

One interesting thing that stood out to me was the difference in sales strategies of some of the resorts. Most of the resorts do the normal thing: have a display with some free stickers and pamphlets with some staff hanging around casually to talk to you if you want. But a few of the resorts (notably Jay Peak, Sugarloaf, and Stowe) were intensely focused on bookings and sales. I walked up to the Jay Peak booth and was greeted by a row of people staring into their laptop screens with bookings being their only interest. If you weren't there to buy a condo or a book a week's stay, they weren't interested in talking to you. It came across as pretty unfriendly, but realistically I bet those resorts actually got more out of the show than the others.

I'd certainly rather be skiing than be at the show. But if you have nothing else to do it's worth a visit.

emmaurice2

I was in Boston yesterday on other business and thought if I had time, I would go. I wanted to go for deals or discounts, so I guess I didn't miss much.

bdfreetuna

I picked up a 4 pack of tickets at Bolton Valley for $100 and got my K Expess card there. Signed up for a bunch of contest vacation winnings and stuff. Overall was worth my while.

yeggous

I always go for the Attitash/Wildcat gift cards. $100 for a $125 card. I spend $1000 to get $1250. In practice it gets you 20% off of everything. Think of it as saving $120 off the $600 season pass and $1 per $5 beer.

dlague

Well I was there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday helping The Ride and Ski Card crew! I have been going to this show for 12 years straight and I did not get the same vibe! I think this was the worst shows in all of 12 years!

• To begin with, the layout was terrible!
  • Next I have to say that there were no comps being handed out - we got three 2 fers this year! Generally, a few comps can be had.
  • I also felt like the show did not have the same buzz as in past years and it was definitely smaller!
  • There were fewer booth games (spin the wheel, dropping the ping pong ball, etc) to win stuff.
  • The resorts were certainly more sales oriented when it came to the larger resorts - then again Stowe, Sunday River, Sugaloaf, Killington, Waterville, Okemo and a couple others generally are.
  • I had some good talks with Jay Peak, Owls Head and a few others. However, most stood around and did not interact much.
  • Being able to watch it over three days I could tell that attendance was down!
  • There sales in the ski market that was hosted by EastCoast Alpine did have a few deals but nothing to write home about - you could do better online.

There were a few cool things like the Long Trail Pub Booth, Dusty Grey Band, the Jeopardy Game for kids and seeing people walk around with beer in their hand!

All in all, I think it depends on every persons POV. Hope next year is better - now time to focus on skiing!

Last edited: