• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burton's "Poach for Freedom" Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvibert

Staff member
That link asks me to sign on to the forum. I dont feel like joining more sites. Anyone wanna copy/paste?

I got the same thing, I think they might have removed the original thread. I can view other threads without logging in...

Its really not amazing. Burton pulls stunts like this every few years in an attempt to gain back market share and 'street cred'. If you look at the history of the company, they have been influential in progressing the sport, but in the same breath they have had their share of hiccups, backpeddling and shouldnt be viewed as pioneers of the sport. The real pioneers are Tom Sims, the founder of Winterstick, Chuck Barfoot among others. Jake Burton was there in the early days but more "along for the ride".

Greg

Staff member
I got the same thing, I think they might have removed the original thread. I can view other threads without logging in...

If you search the forums for "poacher" you can find it. The OP just replaced his post with the link to the poacher page though.

Big Game

Most people are cool enough not to give a damn how you get your grove on. But there's always others who need to cockblock. That's the way the world works.

bvibert

Staff member
If you search the forums for "poacher" you can find it. The OP just replaced his post with the link to the poacher page though.

Um yeah, well I still can't find it, but I don't really care either. I'm pretty sure I got the gist of it from the poacher page though...

awf170

I like how in the MRG video they basically act like the most stereotypical douche bag snowboarders. They cut people off, take the whole trail over, and fly by beginners. Good job morons, that is really going to get MRG to allow you guys to snowboard there. How about trying the show that some snowboarders actually can be in control, ski bumps just fine, and get along with skiers?

bvibert

Staff member
I like how in the MRG video they... They cut people off, take the whole trail over, and fly by beginners...

They do that throughout the whole video, not just at MRG. Pretty lame on their part IMHO. I must say though that the patrollers at the last resort they 'poached' seemed pretty lame for hassling them as much as it looked like they did...

RIDEr

Website
www.hobokenskiclub.com
I was rather disappointed to see the video cutting off, slapping and spraying skiers. This shouldn't be a true resemble of the standard snowboarder on the mountain. The fun in this whole poaching ended when that began... should these video's continue I hope to see more of a better acting class than the white trash snowboarders and burton employees....

campgottagopee

I was rather disappointed to see the video cutting off, slapping and spraying skiers. This shouldn't be a true resemble of the standard snowboarder on the mountain. The fun in this whole poaching ended when that began... should these video's continue I hope to see more of a better acting class than the white trash snowboarders and burton employees....

AMEN!!!! I ski with a bunch of boarders that flat ass rip!!! I wish they could board at MRG but they can't so they ski. I'm not in favor of this "contest" but i hope the people who win give boarding the props it deserves by throwin' down kickass runs.

DJC

I'm probably coming off a little nuts considering this is my first post...but below is the email I just sent to Burton...that video really upset me...

I'm not one to spend time writing to corporations or complaining to customer service but I have to say something about your poaching video. First off - I'm a die hard snowboarder, 31, live in NYC but own a condo in Utah and ride both west and east at least 30 days/year. I own a Burton Custom X, a Burton Triumph (modified into a split), couple pairs Burton boots, couple pairs Burton bindings, and Burton 3L gore tex pants, plus the obligatory t shirts, etc. I'd love to ride Taos or Alta and have no problem with the rallying cry to open up these areas to riders...but I have a BIG problem with the crap your riders pulled during those videos - scaring the shit out of beginner skiers? spraying skiers? cutting off skiers? That is total childish crap and is EXACTLY why these resorts think they shouldn't allow riders. Burton should be ashamed of the behavior displayed in those videos. The vast majority of riders (and YOUR customers) are solid people who prefer a board but understand the etiquette everyone must exhibit on the mountain. Your riders displayed a total lack of class.

As stated above, I have at least $2,000 worth of Burton equipment in my apt right now...I'll never purchase another Burton product again unless I see the video taken down and an apology posted.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm probably coming off a little nuts considering this is my first post...but below is the email I just sent to Burton...that video really upset me...

I'm not one to spend time writing to corporations or complaining to customer service but I have to say something about your poaching video. First off - I'm a die hard snowboarder, 31, live in NYC but own a condo in Utah and ride both west and east at least 30 days/year. I own a Burton Custom X, a Burton Triumph (modified into a split), couple pairs Burton boots, couple pairs Burton bindings, and Burton 3L gore tex pants, plus the obligatory t shirts, etc. I'd love to ride Taos or Alta and have no problem with the rallying cry to open up these areas to riders...but I have a BIG problem with the crap your riders pulled during those videos - scaring the shit out of beginner skiers? spraying skiers? cutting off skiers? That is total childish crap and is EXACTLY why these resorts think they shouldn't allow riders. Burton should be ashamed of the behavior displayed in those videos. The vast majority of riders (and YOUR customers) are solid people who prefer a board but understand the etiquette everyone must exhibit on the mountain. Your riders displayed a total lack of class.

As stated above, I have at least $2,000 worth of Burton equipment in my apt right now...I'll never purchase another Burton product again unless I see the video taken down and an apology posted.

Wow. Love the passion. Well said.

I didn't look at the vid because I'm a little tired of this particular argument.

Mark_151

I'm sure Burton wouldn't mind if I got myself hired there with some kick-ass self-selling and my dynamite resume, and then kicked back with my feet up on the desk in my cube and surfed the net all day and didn't do a lick of work, because it's my "Constitutional Right", and it's all about freedom......

bobbutts

I have a BIG problem with the crap your riders pulled during those videos - scaring the shit out of beginner skiers? spraying skiers? cutting off skiers? That is total childish crap and is EXACTLY why these resorts think they shouldn't allow riders. Burton should be ashamed of the behavior displayed in those videos. The vast majority of riders (and YOUR customers) are solid people who prefer a board but understand the etiquette everyone must exhibit on the mountain. Your riders displayed a total lack of class.

Agree with this too.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not sure how other shareholders feel, but personally I love the idea that snowboarders would hike up and "poach" a run. Cheers to them. That said, this type of off the wall rhetoric and posturing only further entrenches my opinion that Mad River should stay skis only. If the snowboard community wants to get in on these areas, they should try a less hostile approach, IMO. It is always easier to change someones opinion when you befriend them rather than call what they think "stupid." Diologue is always better than antagonism if you want to change things.... but that only suggests this stunt isn't so much to change things at all but rather, as someone suggested, "street cred" or rather marketing.

Greg

Staff member
Right. Consider this free advertising for MRG....

Hawkshot99

I received this today....

http://www.burton.com/poacher

There are four resorts in North America that still don’t allow snowboarding. In the face of this blatant disregard for the Constitution of the United States of America, poaching isn’t simply a peaceful form of protest; it’s truly your patriotic duty. It’s time we take a stand and let these elitists know that it’s not acceptable to discriminate. Power to the poachers!

To fuel the movement, we’re throwing down a $5,000 cash purse per resort video to the person or crew that submits the most creative documentation of their poach experience. Hit all four spots and you could claim $20,000. Deadline for entries is March 1, 2008. Videos should not exceed five minutes and must be in the .flv format.

POACHING’S 10 COMMANDMENTS

1) Whatever you do, don’t break the law.

2) Always buy a lift ticket.

3) Hit ‘em where and when they least expect it; but make sure to keep it safe.

4) Bro down with the enemy.

5) Keep it peaceful, maaaaan.

6) Use your illusion.

7) Scout the forbidden fruits, study trail maps and satellite images online, study up!

8) Remember: Ass out, knees bent in the moguls.

9) Splitboarding is your friend.

10) Last but not least, keep it brofessional.

DON’T FORGET TO…

1) Use your own music (Snow is free, other people’s original music isn’t)

2) Show on-mountain proof of the location you’re riding like a trail sign. If you don’t ride one of the four forbidden mountains during the resort’s operating hours, then it’s not a poach.

3) Bonus creativity points for costumes, themes, and dirty looks.

NERDY VIDEO FORMAT GUIDELINES:

File Format: .flv
Dimensions: 640x480
Frames Per Second: 29.94 (recommended)
Video Length: 5 Minutes Max

All video submissions should be sent to:

Burton Snowboards

ATTN: Poach for Freedom
80 Industrial Parkway
Burlington, VT 05401

All entries must be postmarked by March 1, 2008

Don’t forget to include name, age, address, phone number, e-mail, and a brief description of your poach.

QUESTIONS:

Hit us up at poacher@burton.com and we'll try and answer your questions within 48 hours.

sledhaulingmedic

Well said, and welcome aboard!

As I've said, I have nothing against those who snowboard. In fact, I have nothing against any particular class of people. Oh wait. I lied. I don't like a$$holes. I don't care what color your skin is, what church, temple or mosque you go to, whether you ride on one, to, or more planks, or where your last name came from. That makes no difference to me .If , however, you are an a$$hole, it's my god-given right to discriminate against you, and that is not protected by the consititution.

If Burton wants to try to sell snowboards by promoting assinine behavior, then they've really sunk to an all-time low. Snowboarders want to be accepted at resorts someone thinks they way to do it is through obnoxious and childish behavior? Doesn't fly in my book. I might not be the brightest bulb in the string or hold opinions that are shared by the majority on many things, but I don't think I'm alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.