• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cabot, 4 NEHH, Mossilauke and a NH48 Finish

walkerd2

Cabot, 4 NEHH, Moosilauke and a NH48 Finish

Date(s) Hiked: Aug. 9-10 2007

Trails(s) Hiked: York Pond Tr., Kilkenny Ridge Tr., Unknown Pond Tr., Gorge Brook Tr. and Asquam Ridge Tr.

Total Distance: Around 30 miles

Difficulty: Easy but long

Conditions: Great

Special Required Equipment: The usual

Trip Report: Finally, the time came for me to finish my NH48 list, having started it over 11 years ago. With only Moosilauke and Cabot left, I decided to hike up and stay at the Cabot Fire Warden’s Cabin Thursday night, then hike back down Friday, drive to Moosilauke and hopefully finish during Friday afternoon. Not only would this hike allow me to complete my NH48, but also knock off 4 NEHH peaks and a couple other peaks that are probably on a list somewhere.
After parking about ¾ of a mile from the end of York Pond Rd. (which was closed due to construction) I started hiking around 10:45. Hiking up York Pond trail was easy, and I quickly made it up to Willard Notch. I dropped my pack and started my out and back over North, Middle and South Weeks. What a beautiful trail. The Kilkenny Ridge Tr. passes through mostly open woods, much different then similar terrain in the southern WMNF. On my descent of N. Weeks, I ran into the only person I would see all day. Although I was hiking easily without my pack, the trail bumped up and down along the ridge over the 3 peaks. When I made it back to my pack 3 1/2 hours later, I was beat. The hike up Terrace Mt. was tiring but fun. The trail ran through waist high ferns and looked rarely traveled. I enjoyed the solitude as a humped my way up. After taking a rest at the southern peak, I upped and downed my way over the rest of the peaks and descended to Bunnell Notch. Dreading the 1.8 hike up to the cabin, I took an extended break and wandered around the col. I’m looking forward to exploring more of the North Country. Finally getting myself going, I slowly picked my way up the Mt. Cabot trail, stopping at a ledge to enjoy my first real view of the day. The cabin was deserted when I reached it, and with a mixture of emotions I realized how lonely, but great it can be up here on your own. I loved it. After watching the sun go down from the porch, I retired to my bunk and fell asleep to the sound of mice running through the ceiling and by my head. Around 10:00 I heard something scratching at the door, and after picturing everything standing outside from bears to ax yielding rednecks, all waiting to kill and eat me, I curled into a ball in my sleeping bag and uneasily tried to fall asleep.
The next morning I was up at 5:30 and had breakfast while enjoying the view from the porch. I packed up and began my second day of peak bagging at 6:15. Quickly summiting Cabot, # 47, I moved over the Bulge and then onto the Horn. Dumping my pack at the spur trail, I scrambled out onto the top and admired the view. It was cold with a breeze, so I only stayed for a couple of minutes, but the view was amazing. Heading down, I stopped for a minute to check out Unknown Pond. I passed the second and last person I would see on this hike and was surprised to make it back to my car at 9:20. The drive to Moosilauke somehow took me 2 ½ hours, but I did stop to eat a steak, egg and cheese sandwich from McD’s (big mistake), got batteries for my camera and picked up a guy and his daughter and drove them to the Mt. Washington base station from Appalachia.
Finally around 12:30 I headed up the Gorge Brook Tr., which seemed incredibly easy with just a daypack on, and topped out at 2:45. # 48. Moosilauke was a great peak to finish on, and I made myself sit down and think of some of the other hikes I’ve done. After taking a couple of pictures, I slowly headed down the Asquam Ridge trail and enjoyed the last couple of hours of my vacation. I liked this trail much better. Next time I’ll head up that way. After a bit I made it back to the car, then went and talked with Steve Smith for a bit, and bought my 4000 footer t-shirt.
I actually finished the 4’s. My first was in 95 when I was 11, and now at 22 I’ve finished. Up to last June I had 19 peaks, but since then I’ve gotten 29 more, started hiking in winter, quit smoking, and just gained a respect and fondness for these little but big peaks. I’m looking forward to attempting all 48 in the winter and continuing on with the NE100H.
This was a long hike but great. I netted 6 peaks, and spent some time in a really cool part of New Hampshire. Only seeing 1 person all day in summer was pretty wild and unexpected. I’m done, thanks for reading.

Pictures here. the batteries died in my camera, so there are only 3 pictures of my Kilkenny hike.

Last edited:

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
nice, you did this loop the exact same way I did and made nearly the exact same observations as well :beer: Just try following that bit of trail up terrace when there is 3 inches of snow -- just enough to make the pathway hard to spot -- that section really must not see much traffic.

Wasn't all the old mans beard (that weird plant growing on the conifers) on the weeks peaks surreal?

Congrats on the 48. Where are you on the NEHH list? :)

ED:

Don't forget Middle weeks and terrace (you did go up that .1 mi path to the summit right?) are on the NH 100 list (the next logical list after the NEHH for us NH hikers)

Last edited:

walkerd2

I only have 6 of the NEHH so far. These 4 plus Vose Spur and Pico.

I made sure I went to the Terrace peak, if I hadn't I knew I'd be kicking myself for not going.