• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

snoseek

Here's to hoping the zoome chair stays broken for us poor midweek folk.

But seriously zoomer is the closest line to the tram...that's a pretty decent traverse if your not tucking from 2/3 the way up. I think we can turn off the fucking race trails now and finish the front 5 before snowmaking season end....

Duke61

Anyone know when they plan on actually finishing the front 5? Going into Feb and Avalanche hasn't seen a flake of manmade which seems odd.
Follow the $$$. The model always swings and even Cannon has at least 1/2 its revenue from passholders these days, electric bills up almost a million, expected and unexpected maintenance. Getting ready to ask the legislature to give them $25Million for new tram. They had your money before Thanksgiving, now the game is to spend as little as possible and beg for a tram. I am a Cannon lover but lets not think modern management is for skiers, its for their own survival before the legislature.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I would be nice if they made snow and opened more trails that lead back to the Tram. It's a waste to run the tram if it's so freakin hard to get back to.

snoseek

Going by the snow report theyve moved onto those trails. I wonder if they blew through the cold snap...if so i gotta imagine some great production. Ill go Monday and report back.

Edit it looks like they indeed blew straight through all this. I gotta work tomorrow but man if you can get some tram laps in tomorrow I bet its good stuff!

Last edited:

machski

Here's to hoping the zoome chair stays broken for us poor midweek folk.

But seriously zoomer is the closest line to the tram...that's a pretty decent traverse if your not tucking from 2/3 the way up. I think we can turn off the fucking race trails now and finish the front 5 before snowmaking season end....
Well, IIRC Franconia ski club pumped a lot of $$ in to upgrade the Mittersill race terrain and Snowmaking. Given that investment, I have a feeling Cannon is obligated in some fashion to servicing that terrain each season by a certain point.

bigbob

Well, IIRC Franconia ski club pumped a lot of $$ in to upgrade the Mittersill race terrain and Snowmaking. Given that investment, I have a feeling Cannon is obligated in some fashion to servicing that terrain each season by a certain point.
FSC may even be contributing $$$$ for snowmaking and groom.

Duke61

Can't be too much Cannon love for FSC, they moved the UNH carnival two weekends ago to Burke 'cause Cannon didn't make 'em any snow. When you go to Burke because the snow is better thats saying something.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can't be too much Cannon love for FSC, they moved the UNH carnival two weekends ago to Burke 'cause Cannon didn't make 'em any snow. When you go to Burke because the snow is better thats saying something.
Wow, really? I did not see that. FWIW Burke made a ton of snow on the racing runs. At the expense of the (once very popular) terrain park and other runs.

But the Hotel will be sold out, so that’s good for Burke.

Cannon Bell

HA HA

snoseek

I don't really like a tram but not sure the mtn (especially the midmtn) could handle that kind of volume. If they spend all that money on a new tram I can only hope it runs 7 days.

jimmywilson69

So they say the tram is iconic and is a significant non-ski season attraction. If they build a gondola would people not visit in the non-ski season? Gondolas don't seem to affect the summer business at Killington or Stowe.

AdironRider

Trams draw significantly more summer business than gondolas. In Jackson it was easily 5x the ridership for the tram vs. the gondola in summer, probably more.

Edd

Trams draw significantly more summer business than gondolas. In Jackson it was easily 5x the ridership for the tram vs. the gondola in summer, probably more.
Eh, in Jackson you have a choice, right? If they replaced the Cannon tram with a gondy, I’d be surprised if the numbers fell. Trams look cool, I confess, but it’s the same view inside an aerial container either way.

AdironRider

Jackson also didn't have a tram for 2 years plus and summer visitors dropped way down. It is more than just the view, it is the experience of riding a tram. Gondolas also get beat to shit after a couple years and aren't nearly as enjoyable.

In terms of skier access I would say yeah gondola all the way, but I wouldn't short change the draw of a tram outside of pure people moving.

Sununu also isn't exactly an objective arbiter on this issue given his ownership of Waterville, so I take his opinion with a grain of salt.

drjeff

All you need to get is that year round, folks talk about riding the tram at Cannon (whether for non ski season scenic rides or even when skiing/riding Cannon). Do you really ever hear people mentioning riding the nearby gondolas at Bretton Woods or Loon for either non ski season scenic rides or skiing/riding access? Heck, in Loon's case you do hear people mentioning riding the Kanc 8, not the gondola.

The Tram is a unique draw for off season tourism for sure, and I would guess that over the lifespan of a new tram if they put one in, the added upfront costs would be offset with increased ridership year round. Additionally if they put a gondola in the added number fo towers vs with the Tram on the Tramline run below it would negatively affect that unique peice of terrain in New Enlgand, as well I I can only imagine the logistcal difficulties should a lift evac be needed at some point of having to evac a far greater number of gondola cabins vs just 2 tram cabins

I am also guessing that over say the 50 year lifespan of a new tram or gondola installation (seems to be a reasonable estimate) that there will be far more gondolas installed in New Enlgand than trams, thus further keeping the draw of a tram greater in all likelihood