• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

skiberg

I completely accept that there was a lot of self interest in the building out of Baron's. They are not stupid. They raised 3 million and donated it to the state, of course they expect something out of it.
What I don't accept is that there was no benefit to the state or that this only benefits FSC. It does not. It benefits the vast majority of skiers except the few hardcore on this forum that want to keep it as their own little play land. They are the one exhibiting a sense of entitlement.
Historically they have done more for Cannon than any single group and they deserve credit for it.
People may not like the "New" Mittersill, but enough already. It's not like it was Big Jay. This was a fully functional ski area.
If FSC went off and cut a new trail on Mardi Gras or gunsight I would understand the consternation. People act like because they have skied Baron's for the past 20 years they are entitled to keep it that way. Tell that to the Mittersill homeowners.
I don't like the "new" Baron's but I have begrudgingly accepted it because that's the way it was

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

I have no issue with FSC using a trail as long as there is access to the other trails and things are not locked down for training and racing.

witch hobble

I completely accept that there was a lot of self interest in the building out of Baron's. They are not stupid. They raised 3 million and donated it to the state, of course they expect something out of it.
What I don't accept is that there was no benefit to the state or that this only benefits FSC. It does not. It benefits the vast majority of skiers except the few hardcore on this forum that want to keep it as their own little play land. They are the one exhibiting a sense of entitlement.
Historically they have done more for Cannon than any single group and they deserve credit for it.
People may not like the "New" Mittersill, but enough already. It's not like it was Big Jay. This was a fully functional ski area.
If FSC went off and cut a new trail on Mardi Gras or gunsight I would understand the consternation. People act like because they have skied Baron's for the past 20 years they are entitled to keep it that way. Tell that to the Mittersill homeowners.
I don't like the "new" Baron's but I have begrudgingly accepted it because that's the way it was

You're all over the map.

You think it's some group here that wants their own little playground.....everybody else seems to think that that is what FSC wants.

If you read the various Cannon threads, what people who disagree with you want is either:

A) a time machine

B) FSC to choose a place to base out of and train and not be spread all over the Notch.

C) a little bit of behavior modification, empathy and leadership from the kids, coaches and parents.

dlague

If Cannon was respectful of the non-racing customers, they would address that by stationing a volunteer to stop and wave people across the rabbit path when the course is clear. It's either that or having shuttle service down at the base of the Mittersill chair.

I'd expect Cannon to do the former. That's a pretty standard practice that I've seen at races before. Waving people across isn't a difficult process at all.

They do that at Burke where Deer Run crosses Big Dipper. They have someone standing watch, then let people through.

skiberg

I'm all over the map because it's the Internet. That's what you get when you have complicated discussions with many different variables and correct opinions but no way to really discuss face to face.

dlague

I have a feeling Cannon this weekend will not be that great. Plan on being there Sunday but will see how it is when we get there.

JDMRoma

I have a feeling Cannon this weekend will not be that great. Plan on being there Sunday but will see how it is when we get there.

What's a little Ice !! It's Cannon !

I should be there Sunday too, may opt out early if it's a shit show with the 2 for 1 Super Bowl Sunday deal.

dlague

What's a little Ice !! It's Cannon !

I should be there Sunday too, may opt out early if it's a shit show with the 2 for 1 Super Bowl Sunday deal.

We will be leaving early either way. 2 ish

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think I'm out this year. I'd like to see everyone like I normally do on Superbowl Sunday, but with this forecast, it's tough to justify spending the money. I'll likely be at Wildcat or Crotched instead.

Cannonball

Not a big fan of Taxpayers for Cannon, but I do check it several times a year. He does do a good job exposing the trail count, lack of Mittersil days and lack of access for hiking.

I can tell you as a fact, and from direct personal experience, that some of their most recent information comes from extremely questionable sources. Based on the sources they use for quotations...i wouldn't trust one word of what they say.