• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon St. Patty's Corned beef

Cannonball

b]Date(s) Skied: [/b] 3/17/11

Resort or Ski Area: Cannon Mtn

Conditions: Corn-slush under Bluebird skies

Trip Report:
A buddy of mine who's always been one of my best riding partners just hasn't been able to pull it together for any riding time this year. Finally yesterday he decided to make the trip up. Given his rustyness we both set the bar pretty low. The forecast was for warming throughout the day with clouds and sun. So we figured on the usual spring late-start of 10am. And we assumed we'd be drinking green beer and watching NCAA hoops by 1:00.

By 10 we were at the summit. It was already nearing 40 with just a few low clouds in the notch. Ravine was first up and was soft and super carveable. Back at the summit we met AZ's Puck It. Then it was on. Puck It is FAST and he helped generate the motivation we needed. Skylight, Taft, Profile all skied very well with classic spring conditions. Following those runs we set out for the hike up the saddle. It was still before 11:00 but temps were already up around 40 and there wasn't a hint of a cloud in the hundreds of miles of visibility in all directions. Mittersill turned out to be in top shape. We ran into a few skier bottlenecks but managed to play through. After every run at Mitt we decided it was time to grab coldies....but it was too good and we kept it up for a handful more runs.

A few tailgate beers around noon under perfect skies on St Patty's only improved on the day. This was the point in the day that could have easily turned into naps in the sun. But the riding was too good. Back on the hill, one run on Paulie's revealed that the lower mtn was slush-bound and grabby to the point of dangerous. My wife showed up just in time to catch us heading back to the summit. Multiple laps up top were all excellent, although getting a little sticky. Dropping into the trees we found slightly colder snow and surprisingly good turns. We kept it up until just after 3:00.

It was one of those spring days that far exceeded our expectations. I'd love to see a few more feet...but I'm not complaining about days like this.

Puck it

b]Date(s) Skied: [/b] 3/17/11

Resort or Ski Area: Cannon Mtn

Conditions: Corn-slush under Bluebird skies

Trip Report:
A buddy of mine who's always been one of my best riding partners just hasn't been able to pull it together for any riding time this year. Finally yesterday he decided to make the trip up. Given his rustyness we both set the bar pretty low. The forecast was for warming throughout the day with clouds and sun. So we figured on the usual spring late-start of 10am. And we assumed we'd be drinking green beer and watching NCAA hoops by 1:00.

By 10 we were at the summit. It was already nearing 40 with just a few low clouds in the notch. Ravine was first up and was soft and super carveable. Back at the summit we met AZ's Puck It. Then it was on. Puck It is FAST and he helped generate the motivation we needed. Skylight, Taft, Profile all skied very well with classic spring conditions. Following those runs we set out for the hike up the saddle. It was still before 11:00 but temps were already up around 40 and there wasn't a hint of a cloud in the hundreds of miles of visibility in all directions. Mittersill turned out to be in top shape. We ran into a few skier bottlenecks but managed to play through. After every run at Mitt we decided it was time to grab coldies....but it was too good and we kept it up for a handful more runs.

A few tailgate beers around noon under perfect skies on St Patty's only improved on the day. This was the point in the day that could have easily turned into naps in the sun. But the riding was too good. Back on the hill, one run on Paulie's revealed that the lower mtn was slush-bound and grabby to the point of dangerous. My wife showed up just in time to catch us heading back to the summit. Multiple laps up top were all excellent, although getting a little sticky. Dropping into the trees we found slightly colder snow and surprisingly good turns. We kept it up until just after 3:00.

It was one of those spring days that far exceeded our expectations. I'd love to see a few more feet...but I'm not complaining about days like this.

It was good to ski/ride with you. I will definitely send a PM or text the next time I am up. We should try those other off piste runs that we were talking about next time.