• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Coldest Lift in the East

skibum1321

thetrailboss said:
skibum1321 said:
deadheadskier said:
Madonna at Smuggs - HANDS DOWN and FROZEN OFF
Agree with you 100% on that one. Only lift I've ever seen go on "cold hold".

I completely forgot about Smuggs...they don't want to get rid of those old doubles :roll:

Any more talk about a six pack going in there?
I hope that talk dies and is never brought up again. I think it's a terrible idea. I bitch about the lift lines but I'd rather have the people down there instead of blocking the way down the trails.

mergs

coldest lift? any lift that shuts down for 30 mins or more, like the one at jay did (stateside triple) two weeks ago. i was waiting for jumpers at any minute.

luckily i was in the warming hut, watching my two stuck friends freeze, two chairs from the top.

kcyanks1

Brettski said:
Npage148 said:
Ill second adirondack express at gore. There have been times i thought i was gonna die before id get to the top.

Get's my Vote....on that damn lift one year when it was -7 w/out wind chill...me and the wife and no skin exposed...that was a cold day...had to be 40 mph winds, after all, it's all about the wind....

I second Jay, but the wind only picks up after you hit the ridge line

What amazes me is that Jay doesn't have a lift that stops at that line...lot of mountain not skiiable during wind hold because of it...

I think the old Green Mountain chair pre-Flyer stopped before the exposed section, though I was never at Jay then.

alpinemorg

Website
www.outdoorexp.org
riverc0il said:
green mountain freezer at jay
peabody quad at cannon
wildcat's quad

Funny discussion...the Peabody Quad was the first thing that came in my mind (and made me shiver in my seat) reading the subject, before even opening.

WWF-VT

Another vote for the FourRunner qaud at Stowe - especially the top third of the ride on a windy day

NHpowderhound

Cannon tomorrow

I'll be at Cannon tomorow 12/16 for Demo Day/Powder day.I just finished trimming my new skins for my Pocket Rockets. Any AZ'ers going to be up tomorrow? I'm looking for a bud to skin up to the summit with me. Any takers?
((*
*))NHPH

awf170

Re: Cannon tomorrow

NHpowderhound said:
I'll be at Cannon tomorow 12/16 for Demo Day/Powder day.I just finished trimming my new skins for my Pocket Rockets. Any AZ'ers going to be up tomorrow? I'm looking for a bud to skin up to the summit with me. Any takers?
((*
*))NHPH

I'll be there with my dad. I would be skinning to the top, but my freerides arent in yet so I'll be hiking. :( Zoomer chair is opening which rocks, I think laps on the front five will be pretty sweet.

meat

The freezer has to be the coldest and windiest lift. The first and only time I got frostbite was on the Freezer, my buddy said my nose was whiter than the hoar frost on the trees

ssusca

skibum1321 said:
deadheadskier said:
Madonna at Smuggs - HANDS DOWN and FROZEN OFF
Agree with you 100% on that one. Only lift I've ever seen go on "cold hold".

You nailed that one on the head!!

I have never seen another lift go on hold unless it was high wind related. As a second, I'd have to go with the South Fridge at K-Mart

KevinF

I instantly thought of Cannon's Cannonball Express chair when I saw this thread. I've only ever skied Jay in the Spring, so I have no experience with a cold ride on the Freezer chair. Stowe's quad can be cold, but I never thought I was going to die the way I have on the Cannonball Express chair.

I saw other's have mentioned Cannon's Peabody chair. The Peabody is the express one; the Cannonball Express is the slow summit one. I never thought the Peabody chair was that bad.

I got stuck on Loon's North Peak Triple (or whatever it was called) back in 2000. Brutally cold day; the temps were about 15 below, as in Faherenheit. The lift stopped for a good 20+ minutes, and the woman that I was on the chair with (we were both skiing single, so we got paired up -- the place was deserted) was whining non-stop about the cold. Way too high to safely jump, but it was a "liveable fall" should she have "slipped". I was going mad with her complaining. "Aren't you cold? My feet are cold. I can't imagine you're not cold. Are you cold?" Yes, but telling you about it won't make me warmer! THAT was the coldest I've ever been on a chairlift. They finally got the lift going again on backup power, so it was another 10, 15 minutes before we got off. A solid half hour of listening to her complain. :evil:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
KevinF, it is interesting how we differ on cannons two quads. i don't find the cannonball to be as bad as the peabody. while the cannonball is higher elevation and thus colder, it's slower speed does not add insult to injury with wind speed the way the high speed quad does. also, the cannonball is pretty low to the ground and relatively more wind protected by the trees and ridge than the peabody. also, even thou the cannonball is not high speed detach, it is very fast for a quad and services not much vertical which makes for a fast ride even on the coldest of days. i have had my share of cold days on both, but the wind always trumps actual temp for cold ride. when the cannonball is too cold to ride, it is generally a tra/zoomer day only for me.

interesting experience at loon. when ever a trail stops on a brutal cold day, usually the chair mates huddle down for the wait and shut the hell up with exceprion of comments like "i bet those guys three chairs up just coming over the ridge are REALLY cold!" :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
one more interesting aspect of cannon... at least 50% of the time i depart from peabody lodge where i usually start, i opt for the slow eaglecliff chair to take me lakeside where i can use the tram to reach the summit when i am done with the zoomer triple (one of my favorite lifts, and generally not too cold). the terrain available directly off the peabody quad is generally scraped down crap 85% of the time with exception of the first fewchairs when the peabody quad is at its coldest. it is the chair i most avoid on the mountain. i will often times ride the tuckerbrook quad more times in one full day than the peabody quad! :lol:

awf170

riverc0il said:
one more interesting aspect of cannon... at least 50% of the time i depart from peabody lodge where i usually start, i opt for the slow eaglecliff chair to take me lakeside where i can use the tram to reach the summit when i am done with the zoomer triple (one of my favorite lifts, and generally not too cold). the terrain available directly off the peabody quad is generally scraped down crap 85% of the time with exception of the first fewchairs when the peabody quad is at its coldest. it is the chair i most avoid on the mountain. i will often times ride the tuckerbrook quad more times in one full day than the peabody quad! :lol:

Why dont you just start at the tram base. I hate peabody lodge to small and crowded. Tram base rocks, easy access, nice bathrooms, never crowded, and the tram is right there. Are you allergic to cats or something?(Never sit on the couch in front of the fireplace if your wearing black...)

Tyrolean_skier

RossiSkier said:
I have never been colder in my life than I have when I've ridden The Southridge Triple at Killington. I was warmer floating in the Bering Sea off Alaska.

And it's slow too. BRRRRRRR!

That's the reason we call it the Fridge Triple. I agree that is the coldest one at Killington. It does make for an interesting ride if you ride with someone who has never been on it before.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
awf170 said:
Why dont you just start at the tram base. I hate peabody lodge to small and crowded. Tram base rocks, easy access, nice bathrooms, never crowded, and the tram is right there. Are you allergic to cats or something?(Never sit on the couch in front of the fireplace if your wearing black...)
actually, i like peabody for all the reasons you like the tram base. i find the tram base to be to small and crowded (no brown baggers allowed in the cafe area). also, access is not easy becasuse you have to take banshee to get there without poling. also, after a long hard run at mitt, i like to grab a quick bite to eat which makes peabody ideal. i don't use the tram much and find peabody is much more convenient because you can get to peabody from the top of any lift on the mountain with ease, tram takes a little more planning. i will start at tram base for first tracks off the tram when the snow is good though, but i generally like starting on zoomer in the morning any ways. again, peabody has the most options in this case because you don't have to visit a freezing cold summit with wind blown FZGRN to get to zoomer from peabody, just take eaglecliff, and you are ready to zoom! tram is okay on certain days, but peabody allows more options and is more convenient for myself. i also like peabody lodge better.

EPB

The coldest lift I've ever been on has to be the Green Mountain Flyer at Jay because it can turn a fairly mild day into a freezer for the 2 or 3 minutes youre on the ridge. I was there once when the lift was on wind hold untill noon or so and that ride was one of the worst of my life..... The Wildcat summit high speed quad is another one of the codler lifts Ive experienced, but its no surprise given its location right across the street from Mt. Washington..... As for mountains with low elevation, Attitash down the road from Wildcat has a 12ish minute summit chair that is a noteworthy ride on a bad day even though it drops skiers off at about 2350'.