• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corbet's Couloir

dmc

Launch point, entry position, line choice and the first turn or two are critical. I'd be thrilled to launch a 30 footer and land like Jeff did...upright, absorbed the drop, hands up and out, body centered and in an athletic stance. That was a nice job.

Plus the fact that when he landed he was in over his head.. The snow was deep there..
In fact were prepared to to rescue him... We actually had shovel and probes ready. Plus we had tranceivers...
the fact that he carried his momentum out of the landing was astounding...

Puck it

I've done it.. But it's not even remotely close to what i really enjoy about JH.. Not nearly..

Is it overrated...?? Maybe.. But only in the sense that it's a friggin tourist attraction.. i don't want to wait for some lame texan with pins on his hat to clear out his yard sale cause he ran smack into rock, skiing something WAY over his mulleted head... Too many people that shouldn't ski it - ski it all the time... And because of that - it actually sucks.. As mentioned most of the time you have to deal with a rut when your base first touches snow. that rut is not natural.. It would be a lot easier without having to deal with the crap that others created...
And someone else says do it and enjoy the steep runout... blah blah... I could show you a dozen faces like that at JH... Even more if you take 'em off...

The beauty of JH isn't what you go in thinking your going to experience - it's what you find... It's nooks and crannys... Secret chutes... Unexpected rock drops.. Trees so steep that they will make you forget about the skiing trees thread...

JH is awesome... CC is an incredible shot... But it's only .0000001% of what JH is..

i don't begrudge people for wanting to ski it.. Ski it... Add a pin to your hat... Toast it a the mangey moose... :beer:

I got stories... lot's of stories... Of the crazy stuff I've encountered there...

JH is awesome. There are so many places other than CC to get into trouble. You are skiing in some trees going along very contently and then it opens and right in front of you. There is a danger cliff sign. It can be 30' to 80' depending where you ar on the mountain. CC is like Tower 3 chute. A tourist spot. Ski it once and say you did it then go and find all of the other incredilbe that JHMR has to offer.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Corbets had far better snow, scenery and pitch than the scraped off rendezvous - if its no biggie to ski CC, why not jump in and at least enjoy the snow and pitch instead of doing lap after lap on the icy rendezvous bowl?

:lol: You guys are comparing the largest exposed inbounds patch of JH to one of it's smallest. Doesn't work. For good skiers CC has a huge fear factor when compared to RB. Once in awhile RB can be a bear. Think thick fog, couldn' even see your ski tips and inch of new snow with totally frozen granular underneath, lots of death cookies. It was the last day of the season. It was scary.

Last edited:
:lol: Your comparing the largest exposed inbounds patch of JH to one of it's smallest. Doesn't work.

I agree with your point but sometimes you have to ski Rendezvous Bowl. to get too some of the good stuff. Usually ski it in the trees on the left side, rarely close to CC BTW, but you have to vear off right to get to where your going so taking Rendezvous down the middle works well. BTW I have rarely seen Rendezvous Bowl icey, hardpack maybe but plenty of powder days too.

I've never seen Rendevous bowl icy..the wideness and limited lift capacity keeps the snow nice. I've had untracked powder in the bowl..tracked up powder...and awesome chalky snow several days after a dump. I like the left side the best..awesome pitch..The Hobacks and other lower faces are also sweet and sometimes the best lightest powder on the mountain during an inversion...wow do I miss Jackson Hole..I never go a day without thinking about that mountain..

Oh yeah and I won't ski Corbetts..I know I have the skill for it but I'm too afraid that I'll wipeout and ragdoll into huge rocks and break my back..those Grand Piano sized boulders down in ten-sleep bowl scare the shit out of me..

ski_resort_observer

Website
With the tram down and a slow chair on Rendezvous the whole flow of that area has totally changed. Will the larger tram car make it too busy and will they remove the chair once the new tram is online is a big topic around the valley.

The new tram station design has just been approved by the county planners, it's bigger and totally diferent than the current one so I assume JHMR will have to completely change all their printed prop/sales stuff.

With the tram down and a slow chair on Rendezvous the whole flow of that area has totally changed. Will the larger tram car make it too busy and will they remove the chair once the new tram is online is a big topic around the valley.

The new tram station design has just been approved by the county planners, it's bigger and totally diferent than the current one so I assume JHMR will have to completely change all their printed prop/sales stuff.

I heard that they are going to move the East Ridge Double to above the Casper area to access the Casper Bowl area and chutes which are current accessed by hiking..

The new Tram will have more hourly capacity than the old one but actually less than the current East Ridge Double..

ski_resort_observer

Website
I heard that they are going to move the East Ridge Double to above the Casper area to access the Casper Bowl area and chutes which are current accessed by hiking..

The new Tram will have more hourly capacity than the old one but actually less than the current East Ridge Double..

At this stage what they say about that doesn't mean much....after all, in the beginning of the whole process they insisted that the state of Wyoming was going to pay the 25m for it or they weren't going to move forward with it....not very close to how it ended up working out. It's all good tho, the new cabin looks awesome, got that euro style thing going on.

koreshot

I've never seen Rendevous bowl icy..the wideness and limited lift capacity keeps the snow nice. I've had untracked powder in the bowl..tracked up powder...and awesome chalky snow several days after a dump. I like the left side the best..awesome pitch..The Hobacks and other lower faces are also sweet and sometimes the best lightest powder on the mountain during an inversion...wow do I miss Jackson Hole..I never go a day without thinking about that mountain..

You must have had luck every time you were in JH. JH is an amazing mountain, with superb terrain and challenge but it also has pretty crummy exposure and the snow does get baked very easily. I was there in late January with sub 20 degree temperatures the entire stay and the southern exposure still worked its magic. 3 days after snowfall 90% of the mountain becomes hard, icy or styro snow. The only place to find the decent snow was in Alta, Tower and CC chutes, plus some tree runs.

Great mountain, horrible exposure to the sun = JH needs fresh snow fall every 3 days to stay in top shape, otherwise it goes downhill real fast.

Oh yeah and I won't ski Corbetts..I know I have the skill for it but I'm too afraid that I'll wipeout and ragdoll into huge rocks and break my back..those Grand Piano sized boulders down in ten-sleep bowl scare the shit out of me..

You probably do have the skill for it, as do many others on this board that haven't yet skied it. I still think that the secret to CC (for a decent skier anyway) is the right snow, visibility and entrance conditions combined with a kick in the ass from a ski buddy. The competitive spirit can do wonders - when you see your ski buddy go for it and make it out alive, it becomes very hard to turn around and take the "lamer" route down. That is what pushed me over the edge.

2knees

You must have had luck every time you were in JH. JH is an amazing mountain, with superb terrain and challenge but it also has pretty crummy exposure and the snow does get baked very easily..

Late January of 2006 in dumped pretty much everyday...Late January of 2007..it only snowed 4 inches at J-Hole and 9 inches at Grand Targhee but I like the hard/styro snow on steeps and bumps..no real ice..Sure stuff like the Cirque sucks but with an inversion..the Lower faces were money and nobody was skiing them. I've gotten much better snow on Jackson Face in the trees then up high in 10-sleep many time. I really enjoyed the Styrofoam on Bivoac and Thunder..mmmm..hardpack at Jackson means lightning fast groomers and mad steezy vert. Hardpack or Powder..J-hole is the bomb.

ski_resort_observer

Website
I still think that the secret to CC (for a decent skier anyway) is the right snow, visibility and entrance conditions combined with a kick in the ass from a ski buddy. The competitive spirit can do wonders - when you see your ski buddy go for it and make it out alive, it becomes very hard to turn around and take the "lamer" route down. That is what pushed me over the edge.

So true....peer pressure can be a "kick in the ass" motivator in alot of challenges in any sport.

koreshot

easy bro. i didnt say tgr, epic, kzone, pasr, mogulnet or any other number of boards. I was just going for humor.

I think you interpreted that wrong. I know you were going for humor, and I agree that you are right - most people are pretty unrealistic and their stories have pretty high BS factor. That includes people on this board, TGR and many others. I was just trying to in a humorous way show that there are also people that are no BS - when they say they hucked a 100 footer, you can trust that it really was that high.

bdfreetuna

The Corbet's part of Dream Factory is sick. These people are hucking off it doing flips and getting insane air. Check it out!

dmc

I'm pussy... I slip in from the easy side... Depending on the year it's skiers left side...

But a friend of mine actually backs up and skates to build speed then jumps CCs...
Crazy... he actually landed it... and stayed up for a while... Missed all the crud and ruts at the top...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I dunno man. I'd like to think of myself as a halfway decent skier but I just can't see myself hucking it. I could probably do the puss out slide in :lol:

kcyanks1

I have done it going in a path which you carefully slide down and then it drastically reduces the jump. It forms differently different seasons. I keep wanting to have the guts to jump it from the top but it's quite scary looking over the edge. I'm scared enough doing it the way I have. I did take one bad spill on it on one occasion .. bad in the sense that I slid for a while, thankfully was completely okay.

skiNEwhere

I hucked a big cliff at Squaw before, but it wasn't fun (I had no choice). I think technically I could do, but I'd have to build up my confidence a lot before making the jump, by skiing very technically challenging trails that season. Someone mentioned in this thread a few pages back that someone tried jumping CC when the snow was really hard, and not only did they break their tibia (tibula? Forget which is which), it went through their skin and ski boot. I love the challenge of skiing but I'm on edge about taking a risk that could ultimately end my skiing career.

AdironRider

In all honesty, I find it easier just to drop in than try and shimmy/180/bunny hop through the ladies tee on skiers left. Part of this is I snowboard, and ride regular.

Everyone freaks out about the cliff walls on your right and left, but in all my years out here, I think one person has actually hit one. Yardsales are par for the course however.

Also, the landing is steep enough that the drop doesnt hurt even if you blow up.

That said my knees still shake every time Im up there.