• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched - 11/25/2005

hammer

Date(s) Skied: Friday, 11/25/2005, 11:45 AM - 2:45 PM

Resort or Ski Area: Crotched Mountain, NH

Conditions: Packed powder (manmade with a few inches of natural), partly cloudy, 20s to 30s

Trip Report: My son and I started off the 2005 - 2006 season at Crotched. The snow report mentioned 4 trails, but when we got there around 11:00 AM there were only 3 trails, Satellite Summit and Moon Walk from the top and Meteor from near the top down to the summit lift.

Since there was only one way down for the most part, the trail was a bit crowded, and there were a number of small bumps from all of the snow being pushed around. My son and I took three runs down Moon Walk and Meteor...both of us were feeling pretty awkward, and I took several newbie-style spills. :oops: We then decided to take a break.

After the break, we both seemed to get our ski legs a little more, and while we weren't anywhere near ripping down the trail, at least we didn't fall all over ourselves. We ended up taking a few runs from the top down Satellite Summit instead of Moon Walk -- although it was a bit steeper, it was actually easier since it was less crowded and wider.

On our sixth run, just as we were getting to the junction between Satellite Summit and Meteor, the rope was dropped on Galaxy so we both got first tracks on the fresh corduroy -- real nice. :D

We got in a total of 7 runs in -- not too bad for a first day out.

Since only one lift was operating, lift lines were about as bad as I've seen it at Crotched -- one time we may have waited 2 or 3 minutes to get on. :)

Overall, it was a really good start to our season. I have to give the folks at Crotched a lot of credit -- the trails were in really nice shape given that it's still November.