• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched NH 2-3-7

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Date(s) Skied: 2-3-7

Resort or Ski Area: Crotched Mt NH

Conditions: PP

Trip Report:
Boy, if anyone can crank out the snow CM can. They really were totally covered. It was pretty amazing for this far south.. They had some fun glade runs open (rather agressively trimmed, but heh, this is So. NH)
It was a local's paradise. Parking lot was 3/4 full to full, not entirely certain.

Came here with my littlest one who likes sunny warm, short days of skiing.
We had a grand time.
The resort/hill/lodge can really absorb a lot of skiers. For all the cars in the lot, lift lines were non-existent from about 11 am (when we arrived) to 4pm. The lodge and the hill seemed to absorb all these skiers and never feel over-crowded. Busy yes, but never uncomfortable on the slopes or in the lodge.

You can tell the mgt. has their eyes on operations: they don't pick your pocket near as bad as the real estate resorts, they had lots of kids just walking aaround picking up trash, the teens in rentals were congenial (no grunts...) and helpful and took initiative when the fire alarm (no big deal) went off.
The staff all seemed to be well apprised of Mt. operations, where, when, how to find/do things, etc.

We kept going down the same green run all afternoon, but hey, she was having fun, dipping into the woods here and there, down a chute.
A great place for the newbie to practice their new skills without feeling a lot of crowding. The speed demons (who, us?) are elsewhere.
I've gone there for years, first for beer leagues in the 80s and now, reopened,
with the youngest of my brood.

Nastar was well run and quite popular. When we left the lot at 430, you could actually see the ruts from the race course from the road.
I didn't see anybody having a bad time other than the baby who had enough of hanging in the lodge.

The food is basic (no gormet) but pretty good, a bit pricey, for a local area, but lots, lots of locals with bag lunches. Lots of stuff oriented towards the teen set.

I guess I'm feeling my age. I saw several young parents teaching their young kids how to board. 10 years ago replace the word "board" with "ski". It was good to see the generations mix and grow.

I always worry at places like this about ski theft. In beer leagues there was always a pair ofr two of skis stolen each week. So I was diligent about locking up my boards every time I went in.

It truly was Packed powder, you could even find fresh tracks grounds here and there.
Nice day, warm and gladly so. when I arrived, I realized I left my ski jacket back at the house - I skied in my fleece pullover and was just fine in the sunshine till the sun dipped over the mountainside.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Nice report ! Sounds like a good choice for you and the kids and its great to hear bout smaller areas that "TAKE CARE OF BIDNESS"

I am a huge fan of smaller non Disneyesque places they often do it right ---all thrills no frills.

Based on your report my family may give The Crotch a try when in NH later in the month

Angus

I was there Sunday afternoon with my 5 year old. 2nd time out this year and she skied everything but Pluto's Plunge - she was even in the terrain park. conditions were a bit scratchy in places with the wind but they continue to make snow.

as said, the place is perfect for young family/new to skiing.

they began a buy 4 get 1 free customer loyalty program so I got my 1st stamp.

re: theft. I was talking to a local season passholder who had something stolen - can't remember, goggles maybe - who said that the mgmt said to be careful, they've had lots of problems in that area.

best part is that I've recently discovered a new short cut - one way 55 miles and 80 minutes on the nose door to door.

Angus

I live in metro-west, so I get on rt. 3, get off in nashua at exit 8 (101A west), follow until the rt 122 intersection. take right off of 101A onto rt 122. at the lights in Amherst ctr, go straight, go thru 1 or 2 stop signs - obey speed b/c the Amherst police are brutal - you'll see the Nixon school on your right. at the fork, go straight on Boston Post Rd (which turns into Mt. Vernon Rd) - don't get confused and take right onto new boston rd. at end of road, turn right onto rt. 13 and go into mt vernon ctr. go thru town, and take left onto 2nd Francestown Turnpike (you'll see a bunch of yellow hwy sharp turn signs on the left hand side prior to the left) this takes you right into Francestown ctr after 7 or so miles. my experience is that this is much faster than going thru goffstown.

hammer

OK, I think I know this route...went once last year but the Francestown Turnpike had some monster frost heaves. Came back that way last time I went to Crotched and it looked like the road was re-paved.

It is a shorter route but no matter how you slice it Crotched is not the easiest place to get to IMO.

MadPadraic

I was there on their re-opening night a few years ago, but haven't managed to make it back. Is the lodge area still one huge room with a bar at one end and the food at the other? How true were the trail ratings?

sledhaulingmedic

I live in metro-west, so I get on rt. 3, get off in nashua at exit 8 (101A west), follow until the rt 122 intersection. take right off of 101A onto rt 122. at the lights in Amherst ctr, go straight, go thru 1 or 2 stop signs - obey speed b/c the Amherst police are brutal - you'll see the Nixon school on your right. at the fork, go straight on Boston Post Rd (which turns into Mt. Vernon Rd) - don't get confused and take right onto new boston rd. at end of road, turn right onto rt. 13 and go into mt vernon ctr. go thru town, and take left onto 2nd Francestown Turnpike (you'll see a bunch of yellow hwy sharp turn signs on the left hand side prior to the left) this takes you right into Francestown ctr after 7 or so miles. my experience is that this is much faster than going thru goffstown.

You can even cut off more (and miss the slow crawl on 101A by getting off 3 at Thornton's Ferry look for Amherst road on this map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...82-5522&spurl=0&&q=Home depot&qc=Home Centers

Also depending where you are in Metro West, Straight up 13 can be a good option. The Turnpike (yes, I know the sign says "Francestown Turnpike", but it's actually the "2nd NH Turnpike" is very prone to Frost Heaves. It's a nearly 200 year old dirt road with oil and sand on top. Every summer, it's smooth, every winter it looks like Outer Limits. 13 to 136 only adds 3-4 miles. It's worth it. Especially if your car has low clearance.