• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you ski AND ride?

I am a...

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
I would like to try snowboarding someday, but I always told myself that it'll be after I master skiing, and I'm far from that. There's probably always room for improvement so perhaps, I'll never ride following this logic. Maybe this year I'll try it, but right now I am a skier only.

Joshua B

I voted for skier only. Even though I used to skateboard during high school, I never had a major urge to try snowboarding. I'm more interesting in trying telemarking.

R

Raisputin

I ski and ride...

I do both... :)

I have been skiing now for 21 years and snowboarding for about 10/11. I enjoy them both very much, and I never know what I am going to want to do on any particular day.

Powder day, I'll take my board for some serious cruising and fun. Groomed day, it's a toss up. Going extreme, I strap on the skis every time...

If you want to try snowboarding, and are a long time skier, I like to suggest a more alpine oriented board instead of the freestyle boards that are so common. They generally carve better, use hard plate bindings (which are often ski boot compatible), and have a more forward pointing stance

as an example:
if a typical snowboarders stance is | |
an alpine stance is more like / / (usually more forward though)

The more forward stance IMO is more comfortable for long-time skiers, but that is just my opinion of course, and finding alpine snowboarding gear (as opposed to freestyle) is much more difficult and tends to be a little more expensive. bomberonline.com has a pretty good selection of Alpine snowboarding (Carving) gear IIRC as does Blue-Tomato

One of the things I can say I love about snowboarding on my Alpine board is that I can lay out a frontside (toes towards ground) turn and literally lay out over the snow and even get my shoulder touching the snow. It is an INCREDIBLE feeling (and even more fun in powder)...

I started riding a snowboard because I HATED snowboarders. They made me so mad, leaving their big huge tracks through the powder...LOL, So I decided I had better at least see what the appeal of the sport was before I made up my mind that snowboarding sucked....Obviously I love it now...

If you decide to try it, just don't hang up the skis like a lot of people do...

--Rais

Greg

Staff member
Hey Rais. Welcome to the boards! I fixed up the links and formatting in your post. HTML is not allowed. Please use BBCode in the future. Thanks!

J

jlangdale

New boarder

I've skied since I was 7, I'm 30 now. Last season I taught myself to board at Nashoba Valley using a pawn shop setup for 70 bucks. I can connect my turns now and generally get down blues without falling.

I love snow boarding. I'm going to get myself a new board and bindings setup today or on Saturday. Snow boarding is fun to plow through pow and crud or through the trees. I still feel much less stable on the board since I think it's much more about balance than skiing is. Skiing seems to be much more forgiving if your weight isn't in the right place.

I'm thinking of taking up tele now or just trying it.

Greg

Staff member
Re: I ski and ride...

Raisputin said:
If you want to try snowboarding, and are a long time skier, I like to suggest a more alpine oriented board instead of the freestyle boards that are so common. They generally carve better, use hard plate bindings (which are often ski boot compatible), and have a more forward pointing stance
Some great advice here. I'll keep this in mind if I decide to pursue riding. Thanks! :)

jimme

I'm a dyed-in-the-Wool skier. (Oops, make that dyed-in-the-Fleece skier. :lol:)

It took me so long to get as good at skiing as I've gotten that I just don't feel the urge to learn to 'board. I'd be going from an Advanced skier to a beginner snowboarder and just don't want to 'go backwards' even though that is not really the case. While for experienced skiers, learning to 'board should be easier than with no experience I'd rather put the time and effort into further improving my skiing. Same for Telemark. There's also the money for more equipment. I use Randonee' equipment, but mostly for the comfort factor it provides, as I have yet to do any true BC skiing. Never say never, my daughters said they want to try Snowboarding this season, so we'll see what that brings. I do think it's great to be able to 'board and ski be they Alpine or Tele.

Jimme

J

jlangdale

I'd give it a try Jimmie, I am a good/expert skier and was in the same boat. But it didn't take my long to learn to board and connect my turns. Then I was in the same boat as far as being able to ski much better than I board, I mostly skied last season. Due in part to crappy board and boots.

I got new boots, bindings and a board this season and plan to do more boarding than skiing. Boarding is a lot of fun, sometimes more fun than skiing. I think it's worth the effort. My only real problem is keeping my body & muscles in shape so I can do as many runs as I can do skiing. My new boots are helping a great deal.

Greg

Staff member
jimme said:
It took me so long to get as good at skiing as I've gotten that I just don't feel the urge to learn to 'board. I'd be going from an Advanced skier to a beginner snowboarder and just don't want to 'go backwards' even though that is not really the case. While for experienced skiers, learning to 'board should be easier than with no experience I'd rather put the time and effort into further improving my skiing.
I'm in a similar situation here. This year may be the year I try boarding though. But I've said that the past few years... :roll:

ChileMass

As a skier for over 35 years, I could not imagine starting over on a board. Landing on my rear end that many times would hurt these old bones too much. It would be hard not to be able to use your feet independently. I guess i'd get used to it, but that would be weird. Unfortunately, my older daughter (11 1/2) is probably gonna ditch her skis soon and want to strictly go boarding, so I many have to get with the program.

ChileMass

True - wouldn't have to switch necessarily. Just want to be able to hang with my kid and if she thinks I'm even somewhat cool, i have a better chance of getting to spend a Sat/Sun afternoon with her. It's also something that may force me to try it, and see what I've been sneering down my nose at for all these years......

Zand

I've been skiing for 7 years now. About 4 years ago, I tried riding once. I just didn't get it and decided to just go back to skiing and keep getting better at that. I may try riding again, just as something that I can do at Wachusett a few times for an alternative, but I don't want to switch from skiing when I go elsewhere.