• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you speak any other languages?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This thread got me thinking. Do you speak any other languages, if so which ones, how did you learn, are you fluent, etc.

I am fluent in German but probably not at like a 5th grade level. I can communicate all the normal stuff but would fall on my face fast with any technical discussion.

hammer

Ich spreche nur ein bisschen deutsch...

Had 4 years in HS and a semester in college. Used to traveled to Germany on business several years ago, but the customer's English was so much better, so aside from saying
Dankeschön I didn't really speak any German.

ctenidae

I'm a bilingual illiterate.
I can't read or write in two different languages.

I can read Spanish well enough to get buy, I understand it well enough to watch daytime TV.
I can understand enough Polish to generally follow the thread of a conversation around the dinner table.

bvibert

Staff member
I can get by with Pig Latin. Aside from that English gives me enough trouble. :lol:

Scruffy

This thread got me thinking. Do you speak any other languages, if so which ones, how did you learn, are you fluent, etc.

I am fluent in German but probably not at like a 5th grade level. I can communicate all the normal stuff but would fall on my face fast with any technical discussion.

Wunderbar ! Ich gehe Ski laufend. Me too, took a few years of German. Helped a little when I was in Germany a number of years ago.

snowmonster

Maliban sa Ingles, nakakapag-salita rin ako sa Tagalog, ang wika namin sa Pilipinas. (Other than English, I also speak Tagalog which is the language we use in the Philippines.)

I studied Latin in high school. I can read it but can't speak it. If Spanish speakers speak slowly enough, I can understand and, if they're patient with me, I can carry on a conversation.

Geoff

I start off my Quebec conference calls in French but have to switch over to English when it gets too technical.

I have 500 words of survival German and survival Spanish. I can handle the basics like restaurant, taxi cab, and getting towels from housekeeping. As a New Bedford, Mass native, I know a bunch of Azores Islands slang words, food words, and curse words in Portuguese but discovered they don't work in Lisbon.

Bene288

Can understand a little Neapolitan, but not the best at speaking it, and definitely cannot write it. My girlfriend is fluent in French, it makes me jealous.