• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The low is so far West it would not surprise me if it's a net gain of snow at elevation. The short-range models are all showing decent front-end snow as the cold is slow to depart. I would say 3-6" before a change over to rain at 3,500' is an ideal scenario with a 50% chance of happening.

What's forecasted isn't ideal but it's not a washout. NOAA for Killington is above 40 degrees for only 8 hours or so.

The "piss warm" washouts are when the low tracks right up through PA/NY... that's when you get 36 hours or rain and temps in the 50s. This is quick and there's enough cold air in front of it that there's a chance you guys come out ahead, IMO.

KustyTheKlown

Yea, net gain perhaps, but conditions will lock up after the wet>hard freeze, so I am hoping for an overperform of snow on the back end to keep things relatively soft and just in play

tumbler

The best we can hope for is for it to be snowing, even a couple inches when the temps plummet. The new snow can bond with the wet snow and help with the boiler plate. If not snowing when temps drop, get out the ice skates and talk about base building.

KustyTheKlown

i just made a non-committal hotel reservation 30 minutes from tremblant.

maybe being alone and singles line will make it bearable...

still hoping i can preserve my maine plans

KustyTheKlown

yea lol def not driving to upper peninsula michigan.

tremblant is about the same drive distance for me as sugarloaf, and the prospects for all snow (and lots of it) look a whole lot better there than anywhere else. i got a hotel for 27-30 in st agathe. there's a provincial cannabis dispensary in town, places to eat. 30 to tremblant, 60 to Montreal. will sleep cheap in Plattsburgh on the way up on 26th. then prob Burlington on 12/30 and sugarbush on the way home to shorten the final drive and be home for nye.

my hesitancy is solely due to holiday week 90 miles from Montreal. i have seen this movie before. we did a group trip to tremblant about 5 years ago between xmas and new years, and the lines were some of the worst i have ever experienced. i am just hoping that being solo will help me to avoid those lines.

i now have hotels booked near sunday river, sugarloaf, and tremblant, and i will need to decide by 12/24 4 pm - my first cancellation deadline

tremblant @ mid-mountain shows 2 feet plus with lots of it coming after rain:
1671636573465.png

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

yea, but def not driving to west of ottawa for 750 vertical and mostly beginner terrain. if i were committing to that much driving id prob go to quebec city and massif.

i would rather suck it up with the crowds at tremblant. i just know from past drives that you pass a bunch of small places near tremblant. asking about those and others that are in that general vicinity.

BodeMiller1

It is legal in VT and CO so maybe you're onto something
New Hampshire is being forced to legalize because of so much hard currency leaving the state. I'm guessing $25,000,000 - $40,000,000 a year. We are a tourist state and loose other revenue. At any rate, hope for snow and sharpen your skis.

GregoryIsaacs

Short window?! im seeing estimates of 2.5-3.5 inches of r**n down the spine of the green mountains. Buckle up everyone! looks like were going to be back to square negative one. Will the valleys even have power next week? When are they opening a bubble in the chic chocs? wah wah