• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Epic paradox

legalskier

pinocchio-epic-paradox.jpeg

Discuss.

Scruffy

Is it a liar paradox or a vicious circle jerk?

I say: Not knowing any more than the premise of the story and that one statement, we don't know if he just lied or not so the assumption has to be he did not just before hand tell a lie or a truth. I say it's not a paradox for Pinocchio, but a challenge to the unknown omnipresent force making his nose grow when he lies. Pinocchio is ashamed that his lies are so visible, and would do anything to show Geppetto his nose grows even if he tells the truth. If he places the challenge out there that "My nose will grow now", and it does not, he has lied without consequence, thus foiling the omnipresent force's modus operandi. If the omnipresent force grows Pinocchio's nose when he tells a truth, "my nose will grow now", the gig is up. So Pinocchio is smart enough to find a way to foil the vicious circularity.

edit to fix the spellng of nose! haha Shouldn't post when sick with the flu and a fever :lol:

Last edited: