• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing

Sky

WELCOME DAN!!

Congrats on the book and thanks for the posts. I'll be hunting that book down.

Thanks for the feedback on "who" will benefit from the book.

Greg recommended some easy bump trails @ Loon (re: your recommendation to start easy). That's been my issue. I look forward to the "flats" drills in your book and will work them this season. Do you have any other recommendations for "easy" bump locations for skills honing?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hey Dan, without sounding like I'm trying to coax any freebies out of you, because I do plan on picking up a copy of your book...

What do you look for in a good mogul ski? I mean in terms of length, sidecut waist, weight, bindings, construction, etc. etc.

I'm learning on this older pair ('01 MY) Rossy cut 10.4, 177 cm. On paper they seem to be what I would think good for learning bumps. Light, relatively short (I'm 6') and not too stiff.

But I'm thinking about buying a one ski quiver (more or less) at the end of the season. Any thoughts on any of that?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Here's another general question for anyone to answer I'll throw out there-

Anyone think Bear Trap on Mount Snow is a good learning trail? It sees a lot of sun, it's only serviced by a double, not too long, no too steep, usually soft bumps.

Plus they play music (I like the atmosphere).

:beer:

Greg

Staff member
Marc said:
Here's another general question for anyone to answer I'll throw out there-

Anyone think Bear Trap on Mount Snow is a good learning trail? It sees a lot of sun, it's only serviced by a double, not too long, no too steep, usually soft bumps.

Plus they play music (I like the atmosphere).

:beer:
Beartrap is a great run. Usually nice consistent lines there, but it's a bit steep in terms of beginner bumps and the moguls can get pretty big.

Look for some place that seeds bump runs on intermediate trails. I'll say it again, Loon has some of the best. Two years ago they seeded this run on Sunset:

aan.jpg

Now if that's not a consistent bump run on a relatively mellow pitch, I don't know what is. They also set up great bumps on Rumrunner:

DSC06082.jpg

Jiminy started a seeded run on Grand Slam which is very flat. I understand Sunapee does some seeded runs too, but I've never skied there so I can't confirm.

Greg

Staff member
Marc said:
Maybe I'll check out Loon on a blackout day.
Well a blackout day will most likely be a day that you wouldn't want to ski at Loon...

Sky

Marc said:

Mark, maybe we share a ride to Loon some mid-week day and laugh at each other as we try this "mogul" thing.

I'll drive. Rendezvous @ (if no place else) the park-n-ride @ the mass pike interchange @ Rt 146?

I'm in a full-on Jonezen mode at this point. I'm looking in on the skis, checking the helmet...finding the socks and overgarments...re-applying the waterproof stuff ("Storm-Shed"...good stuff).

Posting in here three or four times a day s NO LONGER holding me over.

Greg

Staff member
Beartrap said:
Greg said:
Marc said:
Well a blackout day will most likely be a day that you wouldn't want to ski at Loon...

I think he probably meant an ASC blackout date. :D
I know. An ASC blackout date is typically a holiday or vacation period - just the type of day you want to avoid Loon due to crowds.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sky521 said:
Marc said:

Mark, maybe we share a ride to Loon some mid-week day and laugh at each other as we try this "mogul" thing.

I'll drive. Rendezvous @ (if no place else) the park-n-ride @ the mass pike interchange @ Rt 146?

I'm in a full-on Jonezen mode at this point. I'm looking in on the skis, checking the helmet...finding the socks and overgarments...re-applying the waterproof stuff ("Storm-Shed"...good stuff).

Hell yeah, I'm in. Although depending on what route we take, the commuter lot a the 290/90 interchange in Auburn might be more convenient (if you want to go 290 to 495).

I'm always good for a few laughs, no matter what I'm skiing on. :dunce:

Greg

Staff member
Sky521 said:
Try 8-10 times/day.

dipiro

Website
www.mogulskiing.blogspot.com
Sky521 said:
WELCOME DAN!!... some easy bump trails @ Loon (re: your recommendation to start easy). That's been my issue. Any other recommendations for "easy" bump locations for skills honing?

Thanks! Funny... a few days ago, I was exchanging e-mail messages with the guys who lobbied Loon management over the last few seasons to build and maintain that seeded stretch of bumps on Rumrunner. Sounds like getting them made was the easy part... a lot of Loon folks didn't like them, wanted them groomed out. There was some controversy over it, but Loon Management stuck with the bumpers, the bumpers tell me.

Last year, Waterville Valley started publicizing its graduated bump stations: several seeded bump fields on easy, intermediate and expert terrain. I haven't yet seen these bumps, but this sounds ideal. I'll be there this year, by the way, on weekends and holidays coaching kids on the BBTS freestyle team.

Just about any trail with good snow starts to bump up a little toward mid day... remember: you can get some useful training done on the flats and on just a few tiny bumps. And this sort of training is easy on the body, too!

dipiro

Website
Marc said:
Hey Dan, ... What do you look for in a good mogul ski? I mean in terms of length, sidecut waist, weight, bindings, construction, etc. etc.

I'm a purist when it comes to skis... for as long as there have been mogul skis, I've skied on nothing but mogul skis. There are lots of good bump skis out there: Volkl Dragon Slayers, Solomon 1080 Moguls, K2 Cabrawlers. I'm on last year's Rossignol Scratch Mogul and I like it, but I don't think Rossi is making the ski this season.

The problem with mogul skis: they're not too versatile... they're not too shaped and they're not easy to arc / carve on groomers like shaped skis are. My Rossis, for example, are 99-66-82, and they're relatively shaped for a bump ski!

As for length... with bump skis, I always tend to go with the longest available. (I'm 6 ft. tall.) Shorter skis are good for whipping around in the air, but all bump skis are relatively short these days. (I used to compete on 195s/200s.)

If you want just one ski for the season, and want versatility for the whole mountain, you should probably survey all of the new all-terrain-expert (a.k.a. all-mountain-expert)skis out there. Read the buyers' guides, then attend a demo day and find the AME/ATE ski that feels best to you in the bumps.

And my book does have a few other equipment tips in it, Marc.

dipiro

Website
Greg said:
I understand Sunapee does some seeded runs too, but I've never skied there so I can't confirm.

Hey, Greg... yes Sunapee seeds a nice stretch of bumps on Flying Goose. These are the bumps on which the freestyle team trains and competes and they include jumps, too... a complete course.

As for learning on these Flying Goose bumps... the trail probably is, for the most part, too steep and challenging for aspiring bumpers, and the location -- directly under the chair -- might make the aspiring bumper a little nervous. At the very top of Flying Goose, though, the trail isn't too steep, and this section of bumps might be good for some learners.

Also, I've seen short sections of nice, rhythmic bumps on easier Sunapee trails... not sure if these bumps were seeded or not, but they were great for learning.

JimG.

Staff member
dipiro said:
Sky521 said:
WELCOME DAN!!... some easy bump trails @ Loon (re: your recommendation to start easy). That's been my issue. Any other recommendations for "easy" bump locations for skills honing?

Thanks! Funny... a few days ago, I was exchanging e-mail messages with the guys who lobbied Loon management over the last few seasons to build and maintain that seeded stretch of bumps on Rumrunner. Sounds like getting them made was the easy part... a lot of Loon folks didn't like them, wanted them groomed out. There was some controversy over it, but Loon Management stuck with the bumpers, the bumpers tell me.

Last year, Waterville Valley started publicizing its graduated bump stations: several seeded bump fields on easy, intermediate and expert terrain. I haven't yet seen these bumps, but this sounds ideal. I'll be there this year, by the way, on weekends and holidays coaching kids on the BBTS freestyle team.

Just about any trail with good snow starts to bump up a little toward mid day... remember: you can get some useful training done on the flats and on just a few tiny bumps. And this sort of training is easy on the body, too!

Dan, I was hoping you'd eventually see these threads and contribute! I know the bumper who lobbies Loon to seed bumps; it's amazing the amount of grief he takes for his passion. Yes, alot of folks just don't want to see anything other than flat corduroy when they look down a run.

But, as you mention in your book, a majority of skiers want to improve their bump skills even if they don't publicly admit it. As an instructor/coach it was always a challenge to find terrain suitable to take them out of but not too far out of their comfort zone. I wish resorts would devote a little more beginner and intermediate terrain to bumps in an effort to meet that need.

Just finished the second reading of your book. Good stuff, the essence of how to learn bumping.

Sky

JimG. said:
But, as you mention in your book, a majority of skiers want to improve their bump skills even if they don't publicly admit it. As an instructor/coach it was always a challenge to find terrain suitable to take them out of but not too far out of their comfort zone. I wish resorts would devote a little more beginner and intermediate terrain to bumps in an effort to meet that need.

Just finished the second reading of your book. Good stuff, the essence of how to learn bumping.

Here's where I am with bumps....they intimidate the sh** out of me...and I hate that. Here's a classic situation. Okemo a few years ago late in the day. Working my way down Heaven's Gate only to find Screamin Demon all bumped up. *choke* I forget how I got down...some other trail.

So I'm "all done" with that crap. I may not do zipper lines...and I won't buy a bump ski...but I'm not balking anymore. Sure it may take me a long time to work my way down that slope...but I want the tools, the methodology, and a place to work on that skill set.

I ordered Dan's book over the weekend. I look forward to the drills for flats and moving through the program.

JimG.

Staff member
Sky521 said:
JimG. said:

Here's where I am with bumps....they intimidate the sh** out of me...and I hate that. Here's a classic situation. Okemo a few years ago late in the day. Working my way down Heaven's Gate only to find Screamin Demon all bumped up. *choke* I forget how I got down...some other trail.

So I'm "all done" with that crap. I may not do zipper lines...and I won't buy a bump ski...but I'm not balking anymore. Sure it may take me a long time to work my way down that slope...but I want the tools, the methodology, and a place to work on that skill set.

I ordered Dan's book over the weekend. I look forward to the drills for flats and moving through the program.

You've made a good purchase. And you don't have to want to ski zipper lines to benefit greatly from Dan's coaching.

bvibert

Staff member
JimG. said:
Sky521 said:

You've made a good purchase. And you don't have to want to ski zipper lines to benefit greatly from Dan's coaching.

I just ordered Dan's book based on the recommendations of this forum as well. Can't wait for it to come in! :D

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
dipiro said:
Marc said:
Hey Dan, ... What do you look for in a good mogul ski? I mean in terms of length, sidecut waist, weight, bindings, construction, etc. etc.

I'm a purist when it comes to skis... for as long as there have been mogul skis, I've skied on nothing but mogul skis. There are lots of good bump skis out there: Volkl Dragon Slayers, Solomon 1080 Moguls, K2 Cabrawlers. I'm on last year's Rossignol Scratch Mogul and I like it, but I don't think Rossi is making the ski this season.

The problem with mogul skis: they're not too versatile... they're not too shaped and they're not easy to arc / carve on groomers like shaped skis are. My Rossis, for example, are 99-66-82, and they're relatively shaped for a bump ski!

As for length... with bump skis, I always tend to go with the longest available. (I'm 6 ft. tall.) Shorter skis are good for whipping around in the air, but all bump skis are relatively short these days. (I used to compete on 195s/200s.)

If you want just one ski for the season, and want versatility for the whole mountain, you should probably survey all of the new all-terrain-expert (a.k.a. all-mountain-expert)skis out there. Read the buyers' guides, then attend a demo day and find the AME/ATE ski that feels best to you in the bumps.

And my book does have a few other equipment tips in it, Marc.

That's interesting you go with longer skis. I always figured short and light was good as you need to turn quick. Short = less angular momentum, and does light.

Well anyway, the Rossi's I ski on, 104 top width, 177 cm, not stiff at all are probably pretty good for learning bumps.

Just waiting for the trails to open now.

Thanks for the advice, Dan.