• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Everything the Instructors Never Told You About Mogul Skiing

dipiro

Website
www.mogulskiing.blogspot.com
JimG. said:
Dan, I was hoping you'd eventually see these threads and contribute! I know the bumper who lobbies Loon to seed bumps ...it was always a challenge to find terrain suitable to take them out of but not too far out of their comfort zone.
...Just finished the second reading of your book. Good stuff, the essence of how to learn bumping.

Hi Jim,
Funny that you know the Loon guys I spoke of. The bump-skiing world can be a small one, I guess. And, yes, I hear they've really had to fight to keep those bumps on Rumrunner. Perhaps the downhill skiing masses will someday gain a better understanding of mogul technique and will want to have a few more good mogul fields on hand.

Thanks for your kind words about the book, and for thinking it's worth a second reading. Looking forward to reading your review.
-Dan

dipiro

Website
Sky521 said:
...I want the tools, the methodology, and a place to work on that skill set.
...I ordered Dan's book over the weekend. I look forward to the drills for flats and moving through the program.

Sky521,
Thanks for giving my book a try! And do let me know what you think.
-Dan

dipiro

Website
Marc said:
[
That's interesting you go with longer skis. I always figured short and light was good as you need to turn quick. ...Thanks for the advice, Dan.

Marc,
My pleasure. Yes, the longer bump skis always seem to give me an added fore-and-aft stability that I like. As I mentioned, though, today's bump skis aren't very long, even at their longest.

By the way, I was wrong about this year's Rossis. Rossignol is still making the Scratch Mogul and, interestingly, this year's version is considerably more shaped than last year's version, which will probably mean more all-mountain versatility.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also wanted to say this picture from your book jacket and your blog is really cool-

edited%20cover%20shot1.jpg

And apparently the site won't let me hotlink it.

... I = teh suck at the interweb.

Greg

Staff member
Marc said:
Also wanted to say this picture from your book jacket and your blog is really cool-

Cover%20shot%20for%20blog.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Greg said:
Marc said:

Guess Greg wanted to show he sucks at the internet too :lol: :lol: :lol: .

JimG.

Staff member
dipiro said:
Funny that you know the Loon guys I spoke of. The bump-skiing world can be a small one, I guess. And, yes, I hear they've really had to fight to keep those bumps on Rumrunner.

Well, I'm guessing you're referring to joegm and his buddies; I know him through FirstTracksOnline which is where I came across your book. We share a passion for bumps.

Amazing how the internet makes those 6 degrees of separation seem alot smaller.

bvibert

Staff member
JimG. said:
Greg said:
Marc said:

Guess Greg wanted to show he sucks at the internet too :lol: :lol: :lol: .

:lol: The pic in question:
Cover_shot_for_blog.jpg

dipiro

Website
bvibert said:
JimG. said:
Greg said:
Marc said:

Glad you like it, Marc. I'd never done so big a ski photography project before the book. I couldn't believe how many photos we had to take to capture just one good image. We might have used one out of every 100 to 150 we shot. When we got the skiing just right, the light was off. When we got the skiing and the light right, there was too much snow flying. If the skiing, light and flying snow were all okay, I had some ridiculous expression on my face. My photographer, John McNamara, and my wife and I definitely had some laughs doing the shoots.
-Dan

dipiro

Website
JimG. said:
Well, I'm guessing you're referring to joegm and his buddies....

Jim,
Yes, joegm and his buddies. They found my blog and left comments and we e-mailed a bit. Joe sent photos of his crew out west at the Smart summer mogul camp. I guess they've done the camp the last six summers. They sound like die-hard bumpers.
-Dan

Greg

Staff member
I split this out from the original November Ski Mag thread as I feel it deserves its own.

I finished my first run through of Dan's book. Great stuff. I hope to do another run through before I get out skiing this season and I can certainly see myself referencing it throughout the ski season. For 11 bucks, it's worth every penny!

bvibert

Staff member
I'm about half way through my copy, I hope to finish and make a second pass before my season starts as well. So far it seems to be well written. :)

BeanoNYC

I just ordered my copy of the mogul book along with breakthrough on skis. I'm quite new to skiing and my goal for this year is not to crap my pants when I come upon a mogul run. I can pretty much ski any groomers thrown at me, it's the more uneven terrain that I choke on.

Warning: If you ever make it to a meet up, I'm bringing my copy for a signiature so I can Impress all my friends. :wink:

Sky

dipiro said:
Just curious... you say you picked it up; was a local bookstore stocking it? Or maybe you ordered a copy through a store?

I ordered it through ...? Barnes and Noble (had to think about that)

Happened to be dopping my daughter off @ the relatively new Blackstone Valley Mall, ran an errand n the Verizon store...and B&N is right next door.

I called around to a few stores to see if someone had it in stock...but when I walked into B&N in Blackstone Mall...and they didn't have it but could order it...I jumped on the opportunity (it's on my commute home...very convenient).