• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Spring Wax

dblskifanatic

So I used to always use Swix waxes and specifically the yellow wax for spring. However, it was not always effective. I tried universal wax as well but also did not like the results. Then one day we were heading out to A Basin and I forgot to wax our skis and did not have it in the car either. So we stopped at a local ski shop and the guy recommended Dakine Nitrous Warm wax and rubbed it on our skis - low an behold this stuff works great. as an added bonus - it smells good too! I often use it as a touch up wax that I apply at the car and brush off with a nylon brush. O have hot waxed with it too. What I like is the fact that we do not get that suction effect because it repels water so good. Also do not get that sun shade weird stall and speed up feeling.

What tips do others have for spring? Besides beer!

drjeff

The now not made any more Swix LF10 Yellow is my goto Spring favorite wax with either a Nylon hand or roto brush after scraping. I was happy to find, and even at a good price, 2 more 900 gram bars of it back in January, so I am good for a few years.

An old trick to get things moving that we used to do back in my college racing days on warm days, was some liquid Dawn dish soap over whatever other wax you had on your skis already. Doesn't last long, but it gets things going from a standstill!

The other thing for Spring wet snow, is a GOOD stone grind to put some aggressive structure in the base to help better break the surface tension between the base material and the water in the snow

KustyTheKlown

i dont spring tune enough and i really should. mainly its because i don't tend to ski the same place 2 days in a row, and i stay off mountain in the nearest cheap shithole, so i cant leave it at a shop. i need an easy to apply (no iron necessary) quick wax solution. this guy was on shark tank recently and got a deal, and they have a quick wax.

jimmywilson69

my buddy out in Washington got it on his DPS skis. I'll ask him.

I've heard it doesn't apply very well after market. so you need to take your non DPS skis to an authorized DPS dealer. or buy DPS skis

Vince

I may have never been waxing my skis properly. Made a huge mess and lasted till about noon............Try Dynamic Wax Ghost. Its a spray. Very easy to use

Bumpsis

So, is there a wax out there that works well on wet/not so wet variable spring snow?

I have yet to find something that will prevent the annoyance of "halt and release" that's so typical of spring snow. I typically will hotwax with wax designed for + *C temps (above freezing for those not operating in metric) but that usually gets stripped off by the hard surface of the morning hours and by the time sun and warmer temps start turning the surface into wetness, the wax is long gone.

I bring with me something I picked in ski store a while back - Natural Skiwax Stick https://www.snowcountry.eu/holmenko...XBwVXiMRTST9yfRDnuS9x3dO2bO6NhCRoCXyAQAvD_BwE
designed to be dry- rubbed and buffed. It helps some but really doesn't last for more than 5 good runs.

I'd love to find something that lasts a bit longer. Suggestions?