• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First measurable snowfall predictions

Greg

Staff member
Give your prediction for the first measurable snowfall (> than 2") in your area. For Northwest CT, I'm going to say November 8.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah, I hope both you are right.

Northeast CT, November 20. We're usually a bit surprised around here to see it befor Thanksgiving.

Here's hoping though.

noski

first 2"+ snow

2" snow, heck that's just a heavy frost. Peak Foliage here is October 11 at 11:14am. First snow is harder. Nov 2.

ctenidae

I'd have to limit that to inside 95, hammer. Now, outside 495, north of 90 is a different story altogether. Could be tomorrow.

Zand

For my house (Leicester, MA next to Worcester), previous first snows were:

2004: September 29th (first measurable: November 12th)
2003: October 19th (first measurable: October 23rd)
2002: October 23rd (first measurable: October 23rd)
2001: November 5th (first measurable: December 8th and that whole year was crap)
2000: October 8th (first measurable: October 27th)

Will it snow in September again this year (we had a topic on it from last year's suprise flakes)? Probably not. Will snow be on the ground on October 23rd like in 2002 and 2003? Probably. I say first flakes are October 11th. First snowfall is October 21st.

BTW, anyone here remember the early snows of 2000? I remember them clear as day. That Monday, Columbus Day, there was some mixing going on. The next day, it flurried again for a little while. By Halloween, it had snowed 5 times, 2 with accumulation. Keep in mind, this was October in southern MA.

Zand

In October, anything is signifigant. Wait till dEcember before you start calling it weak. :p

awf170

riverc0il said:
i was just thinking.... 2" seems kinda low for "significant" snowfall. i would consider significant snowfall at least a half foot minimum.

are you tryin to say if you cant ski on it, it is useless, if you are i would agree :D I say our first AZ day should be the first big storm of the year and we hike up cannon and ski down :D

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
i was just thinking.... 2" seems kinda low for "significant" snowfall. i would consider significant snowfall at least a half foot minimum.
I agree. Bad wording. I changed it to "measurable"...