• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Flume Slide, Owl Head

granite

My work appointments took me through Franconia Notch today where I took these photos of Flume Slide and Owls Head. Mount Flume is the peak on the left and Owl's Head is the peak on the right.

The Flume Slide looks so skiable. Has anyone here ever skied it? What about the slide on Owl's Head?

Attachments

• IMG_7878.jpg
    IMG_7878.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7879.jpg
    IMG_7879.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7876.jpg
    IMG_7876.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7874.jpg
    IMG_7874.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 99

Cannonball

NEK is right about the peaks and the conditions.

I look at those all the time and consider it...but I doubt I'd ever actually do it. I was just looking through my pics from last winter of these slides taken from the summit of liberty, but can't find any good ones. These slides are WAY steep and typically pretty unstable. One of the easiest ways to hike to them would be up Liberty, then down. But it would be highly sketchy to approach it that way without a decent assessment on the way up. Thre are internet trip reports of skiing Flume slide (you can search on your own). They tend to involve falling rock and ice.

Owl's Head would be a whole other story. Seriously long approach to get to the vert. I XC'd in that way recently and would not have been happy on heavier gear.

A couple years back Ben White skied all of the NH 4Ks in one winter and wrote some nice reports. (you out there Ben?!?!). Look to his reports for an idea of the challenges.

EDIT: For what it's worth this was the best of my pics I could find looking from the summit of Liberty to Flume Slides (not great)....
GOPR3407.jpg

Last edited:

jaysunn

The one on the left is Mt Liberty. I know the Flume slide has been skied but it is very rocky and gets baked pretty hard by the sun.

This ^^

I still would be up for the challenge, @NEK did you get into the BC today up in the NEK? Still going through reports, so not sure if you posted already.