• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goodbye Vermont...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
...hello New Hampshire!!!

Perhaps not what you were expecting after reading the subject ;)

This Summer has been unusually busy due to a variety of happenings which most recently include accepting a job offer in Plymouth, NH. Throughout the month of July, I will be splitting my work time between Lyndon and Plymouth to ensure a smooth transition for my current work location. I expect to be fully switched over and an official resident of New Hampshire by the end of August. We begin our housing search this weekend and are most likely looking into the neighboring towns of Campton, Tilton, Holderness, and Ashland due to higher taxes in Plymouth proper. This is a very exciting time for us as S finishes up her studies and begins job searching at the same time I begin my next career move and we look to be first time home buyers all at the same time :-o The current plan is too purchase a Condo in the area for the short term and after a few years look into a more permanent option.

When the job offer first came up, my knee jerk reaction was "no way am I moving away from my Northern Vermont skiing!" But ultimately we both decided that such a narrow view of the opportunity was not appropriate. A big career move into a position that is much more challenging and rewarding is huge and well worth doubling my drive time to Northern Vermont ski areas. The recreational opportunities of being split between the Lakes and White Mountains is immensely greater than what the NEK has to offer. Being closer to family and friends in Massachusetts was also a huge issue. And having a slightly faster pace of life, a major city nearby, more to do, and a better match for our personalities were all major factors. Finally there are more job opportunities for my significant other which could not be over looked. Doubling my drive time to a few ski areas is a very small price to pay.

Where does that leave me for the ski season? Very likely a Season Pass to Jay Peak and a Mad Card at Mad River with an outside chance of a NH Resident pass at Cannon. Being south of the notch has huge backcountry potential so I will probably be earning many more turns next season compared to this season with Cardigan in my back yard and the Moose within spitting distance as well as the other Whites such as Tripyramid later in the season. A five minute drive up the road after work could yield after work earned turns at Tenney mountain when it is lighter out. Suffice to say the drive to Mad River Glen is going to suck comparatively but I used to do two hour drives to Cannon from Massachusetts so a two hour drive to Jay Peak is just going back to the drive I was used to with many other options within half an hour when the trees are closed or the powder has not fallen.

In addition to work related issues, I have had a lot on my plate outside of work. A final revision to my web site included which should be finished by the end of the Summer. Yea, yet another version :roll: after hand coding everything for the past years (which occasionally requires six document updates and uploads) I have decided hand coding is a complete waste of time and am converting everything to a CMS which will allow me to write an article and the links and sub-pages and report pages will sort themselves out by tags. It is a truly amazing thing to put together and the best part is Gallery integration exactly the way I originally wanted it but did not know how to code it.

So contrary to popular belief, I have not been "snubbing" AlpineZone ( Brain... ;) ) but rather saving up for a big 5000 post announcement. Kind of ironic from the guy that pooh poohs on the post count threads so often ;) But I could not say anything sooner due to various logistical issues. Even now I am hoping I am not letting the cat out of the bag publicly before I can cover all my bases in person but it is not easy holding back such a secret! Now, I have a few week old threads I feel the need to dig up :lol:

Last edited:

awf170

Yes!!! Now I only have to drive to Plymouth instead of St. J when I go to Jay Peak.

Anyway congrats. Plymouth is a way nicer town. I bet they roll up the side walks at 7 instead of 6. :wink:

Also, you need to start climbing. Rumney is amazing.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Best O luck Steve! If it makes you feel any better, I'd probably have to cut my time by 80% to match you're new drive time to North VT :) But on the flip side, have you made 50 days yet?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Congrats on the move. I'm sure you will miss living in St. Jay.

And Bob R can cut you a good deal on a condo I imagine... :wink: He's selling his if you have not heard. Waterfall included.

roark

Nice Steve, certainly a worthy sacrafice. Best of luck with the move and house hunting.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Congrats on the move. I'm sure you will miss living in St. Jay.

And Bob R can cut you a good deal on a condo I imagine... :wink: He's selling his if you have not heard. Waterfall included.

LOL. I saw that condo in the MLS listing with the waterfall! I knew it looked familiar but I never would have thought it was the same exact Condo. Figured it was just at the same property.

bvibert

Staff member
Congrats on the job move Steve! I'm glad your absence was of a positive nature. I must say though that I'm surprised that put such significance on your 5,000th post. ;)

Hopefully we'll get a chance to ski together again this up-coming season.

BTW, Bob's condo is nice and secluded, if that's your thing, and the waterfall really is pretty cool! :)

snoseek

welcome to n.h.

the funny thing is i will shortly be saying goodbye to n.h. for colorado. go check out the hancock slide.

Vortex

Steve i sent you the linc, but I guess you already saw it. If you need info real estate agents anything. I would help if you wanted it. glad you are gettign what you want.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Cool Steve. I hope we get to tour more this winter, now that I have proper gear.

And it is soley for the camaraderie, it has nothing to do with me wanting you to show me where the goods are... just for the camaraderie.

Greg

Staff member
Lots of transitions it sounds like. Good luck with everything.

SkiDog

Good luck Steve...

If you decide to make that trip to SLC ....the offer still stands..just let me know..

M

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Good luck!!!!! Plymouth is a nice little town. It's not Vermont though ;) .
Let me know when you make it over to MRG.
It most certainly is not Vermont and that is both good and bad. More good than bad we believe. I will have at least five days at MRG and will keep you posted. Should make it over there for Green and Gold for a ride up the single, trail work perhaps, and to do my APR.