• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great News for Whiteface

highpeaksdrifter

I'm really going to miss Pataki, even though he screwed me by vetoing an early retirement incentive :angry: , but anyways he has been a great stewart of the great outdoors in NYS.

Gov. Pataki announces $5 million for Whiteface upgrades

The $5 million in funding will allow the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) to undertake a variety of projects to upgrade facilities and services at the Whiteface Mountain Ski Center. These include:

· The renovation and expansion of its Kids Kampus;

· The construction of a new 350-space parking lot;

· Roof repairs at the main base lodge;

· The purchase of energy-efficient snow guns and bringing more water to the intake at pump house 1 to increase snowmaking;

· The replacement of existing air and water lines for snowmaking between pump houses 2 and 3 with larger, steel-welded pipes to increase snowmaking capabilities;

· The purchase of new snow groomers and a transport snow cat;

· Trail maintenance and expansion;

· Creation of the Excelsior Bypass to the Connector trail to aid traffic flow;

· Roof repairs at the castle atop the Whiteface Mt. Veterans Memorial Highway, along with improvements to the elevator that brings
visitors to the summit castle; and

· Expansion of the maintenance garage.

During the 2005-06 winter season, Whiteface Mountain saw an increase of 17,618 skier days over the previous year. Overall, ORDA facilities welcomed 390,560 visitors at its five facilities, an increase of 13 percent from the previous year.

Whiteface Mountain has the greatest vertical drop east of the Rockies, 3,430 feet, and its race courses are fully sanctioned for international competitions. Whiteface was rated the number one ski resort in the Eastern United States by Ski Magazine readers for three consecutive seasons: 2001-02 through 2003-04, and has been rated the number one resort in America for off-hill activities by these readers for 13 consecutive years.

Whiteface also won the National Ski Area Association’s Silver Eagle Award in 2002 for Environmental Excellence in Fish and Wildlife Habitat Protection.

Greg

Staff member
Very cool. Congrats! :beer:

SkiDog

Is whiteface state owned? seems like a lot of state money to pump into a ski resort even if it was once an olympic destination.

Please advise?

Thanks

M

AdironRider

Hell yes! Bummer as it doesnt sound like the tree island pod will be a reality soon but those are all great additions. The added snowmaking this season was seriously incredible. It was a completely different mtn compared to 04-05. I loved that I could ski the full 3400 vert before Christmas. Cant wait for even more additions. Whiteface really is an incredible mtn, and well worth the added investment.

AdironRider

Ive been there and read that, doesnt sound like itll come to fruition though within the next 2 years. But you are right, I really really reallly like what I read, and really really really hope Im wrong and its done very soon.

Hawkshot99

I love goin up to White Face. My Uncle used to take me there all the time when I was younger. I found it so cool to be skiing on the same trails that the Olympics where held on.

I hope I can make it up there sometime soon.