• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Heading north...Jay OB conditions?

GrizzlyFD

Heading up north to Jay this weekend and it looks like they have gotten a few decent storms to help raise the trail count. Looking to ski a couple runs out in the west bowl as well as the dip. Was hoping to hit big jay, but was wondering about the conditions. Anyone been out there recently. We usually hit it later in the season or after more snowfall, but Jay has been opening terrain all over the mountain due to natural snow. Staying hopeful that this next storm doesn't fizzle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
OB at Jay is still risky. we had TWO (two more than preferable) snow snake incidents on saturday after the snow fell, both resulting in crashes that could have led to serious injury but thankfully did not. we stayed mostly on the map after the second incident. i suspect dip may be ready, we didn't try, but do be careful as areas that have not been cleaned out and pruned are not ready and downed trees are lurking everywhere still. give it another foot of base before trying anything too wild.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I would think it would be sketchy out there. there really isn't enough snow to cover up all of the crap yet except for in the best maintained lines. Even then you'll very likely find some unseen rocks to bang your skis on. I agree with Riverc0il that another 12 inches of base is really needed.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
havent been anywhere yet, but i wouldnt bank on jay OB, or any OB yet. dude, winter started last week.
hardly. aside from having skied some safe OB this past weekend, here is some fine jay OB from late december. it is skiable, just use your head, go slow, and know the better aspects that are not as dangerous.

kbroderick

I spent most of Saturday and a few runs on Sunday in the woods here, and the wider, well-maintained lines were quite skiable. The tighter stuff definitely needs more snow, though, as does the less-well-maintained stuff. I'd expect the situation at Jay to be similar, given the similarity in weather patterns. We do have snow here in Northern Vermont ;)

(pics from Saturday: here)

koko85

i think jay peak got some snow last night and a few more inches total perhaps by the end of the week? :roll: i hope so---i am heading out thursday nite for friday/saturday skiing..

GrizzlyFD

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably stick to the more open lines and take it easy out there. Probably make a hike out into the west bowl as the northwest winds are predicted to pick up dropping all that blown snow into the trees.

VTpowder

don't bother, still lots of hidden dangers as of today. even the marked glades are still a bit thin, be patient. don't hurt yourself, wait for another storm, we are one good one away from it being safe.