• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about an IRC channel?

How about a northeast hiking IRC channel?

• Sounds great, let's do it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No thanks. Not interested in IRC.

• Sounds neat, but I'd never use it.

• What's IRC?

• Total voters

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Is there a hiking IRC channel out there for the Northeast? I don't recall hearing of one...

Would any of you bother to idle in it if there were?

Would any of you know what I'm talking about?

I guess I'll do a poll!

-T

ChileMass

What's IRC?? If it has to do with NE hiking, I will certainly look at it, just gotta know what it is......

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
ChileMass said:
What's IRC?? If it has to do with NE hiking, I will certainly look at it, just gotta know what it is......

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It's an online chatroom. There are servers out there where one coudl register a channel (say #alpinezone or #nehiking) that would be dedicated to a certain topic, in this case, northeast hiking.

That's the basics of it.

-T

Joshua B

I would definitely install an IRC client to check it out. I tried MIRC when I was new to the internet ('95 or '96) but didn't keep at it.

Max

I liken my internet savvy to an old Bill Cosby routine called "The Chicken Heart" wherein he described his childhood fascination with his parents old shortwave radio. In the skit he describes it as "...a huge radio with about 800 knobs, only 2 of which worked, the OFF-ON-Volume & Station Selector."

I know how to send email, google search for stuff, a few other basics, but all this jargon about "FTP, PHPP, IRC, servers, proxies, bandwidth, yadda yadda yadda" is just so much fat to be trimmed off my steak.

I'll go with the flow, but I voted for "What's IRC" :D

Max

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I used IRC in college a few times for getting leads on software and mp3 downloads but I haven't used it since. I don't think I would use it now though. I only get online once a day or so and chatting real-time isn't all that necessary. AlpineZone is used so frequently by such a varied group that I can get an answer to a question or see new replies to a discussion within hours, which is more than quick enough for me.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
While there was certainly a time when I'd spend my evenings glued to the computer, that is no more, and I prefer the read-when-I-can, reply-when-I-can bbs format. And they certainly would not approve of an IRC client at work!
8)

J

jlangdale

IRC is so old school. I haven't been on it in serveral years, probably like over 8 years ago. Is #twilightzone still going? I don't think I could even get on it anymore. Why not just have a simple web based chat?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I guess that was my thought... would a live chatroom be utilized. I was thinking it'd be neat to be be in a chatroom with all these folks from the various sites (AMC, AZ, VFTT, etc.).

Of course, we could all meet out in the woods instead! :)

-T