• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter - 12/1

dmc

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...4960937&site=aly&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en

Rain Wednesday night into thursday. 1.5 to 2.5 inches of rain. Ouch.
60 degrees thursday. How long does it take to recover from this. They can blow snow nonstop starting thursday night, but I doubt that will be enough, after the damage the 1.5 to 2.5 inches of rain does.

You can almost ski top to bottom right now... and that was only a few hours of snowmaking.. If they get temps back Thurs - they can open Saturday..

snowboarder05

Snowmaking has started! We'll be making as much snow as temperatures allow, and we're shooting for an opening date this weekend.

However, there's a very real chance of a significant rain event Wednesday into Thusday which would set us back. Colder temperatures are expected to follow after the rain, but there may not be enough time to recover before Saturday. Think cold and stay positive... most long-range forecasts are pointing to a change in the jet stream, leading to much colder temperatures after the weekend.

MarkC

I think the question is will Hunter pull all of the guns out from the middle of the trails to open on Saturday or continue to blow full bore and go for a Sunday / Monday opening. If I were them with these temperatures Sat day I would wait.

millerm277

I think the question is will Hunter pull all of the guns out from the middle of the trails to open on Saturday or continue to blow full bore and go for a Sunday / Monday opening. If I were them with these temperatures Sat day I would wait.

The temps will be sticking around for a while, no reason to delay opening for them. I see temps that low through at least monday...

snowboarder05

I told you I was right.

Tentative Opening Date is now Sunday, December 6th.

After viewing current weather forecasts, and the good possibility of more than an inch of rain Wednesday night into Thursday, we've decided to plan on a Sunday opening, December 6th. We hope to be open top to bottom on Sunday on the main line, Hellgate-7th Ave-Kennedy-5th Ave. We're pretty confident about this.

The really good news is, temperatures *should* be turning colder starting Friday, with continued nights in the teens by early next week. This should allow us to spread out and open more terrain very quickly.

snowboarder05

I'm just being realistic, I can't wait to snowboard, but the weather is not cooperating. I just wanted to say that the weather pattern through the middle of december is going to improve to freezing temperatures day and night, therefore 24/7 snowmaking will be possible, but it doesn't look good for any natural snow.

drjeff

Think thats gonna take a lot o ganga...Temps not supossed to drop till fri nite.

Yup, that's the big issue with this storm. Once the warm slop from the South gets kicked East offshore and out of the area, the pool of air to the North and West that will be drawn in on the backside of the storm isn't exactly straight from the Northpole artic air :( Going to take likely a good 24-36 hours once the storm leaves to get air that's cold enough to support snowmaking all the way to the base of most resorts, and then most places that have already been making snow will need atleast 12 hours (more likely 24+ hours) to put down enough snow to open given the good, but not great temps that are forcasted to be inplace.

The brightside is that there's finally starting to be some consistant weather geek online buzz about a solid pattern change mid/late December, that will get us out of this pattern where the jetstream is basically in a West to East flow giving us mainly air from the Pacific NW, Southern Canada and finally get the Northern component of the jetstream to dip well South of us an open up the Arctic as the source of our airmasses.

jtothewang

pass holders

I don't have the season pass, but does that mean, pass holders ski Saturday, everyone else Sunday?

JimG.

Staff member
Crap.

What are the odds that K is open on Saturday?

And don't anyone mention crowds since I'm a weekend Hunter skier.

I could care less, just get me to some snow.

snowboarder05

The entire northeast will be lacking snow, yes some places will be open, but overall most places will be closed and the places that are open will have just a few runs.