• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's lifts...........or lack of now!!

Tdizz

The lift issue is right on the front of the web page and their facebook. At least they're not hiding it from the public. Back when the quad was on the front and was always having issues, they used to never announce it.

Creakyknees

Again, nothing in the snow report about snow making. The snow report for Mount Snow indicates they will start making snow as weather permits.

cdskier

The lift issue is right on the front of the web page and their facebook. At least they're not hiding it from the public. Back when the quad was on the front and was always having issues, they used to never announce it.

It always amazes me how many people don't look at that info ahead of time. I'll use my home mountain of Sugarbush as an example. There have been times this season that most of the lifts at Lincoln Peak started the day on wind hold yet at Mt Ellen almost all lifts are running. This is clearly listed on the snow report and lift status on their website and app. Yet I still see people piling into the Lincoln Peak parking lot on my way to Mt Ellen. I get to Mt Ellen and the parking lot and mountain is practically empty. Are people just holding out hope that the lifts will come off wind hold or do they really not look at the reports before heading to the mountain?

drjeff

It always amazes me how many people don't look at that info ahead of time. I'll use my home mountain of Sugarbush as an example. There have been times this season that most of the lifts at Lincoln Peak started the day on wind hold yet at Mt Ellen almost all lifts are running. This is clearly listed on the snow report and lift status on their website and app. Yet I still see people piling into the Lincoln Peak parking lot on my way to Mt Ellen. I get to Mt Ellen and the parking lot and mountain is practically empty. Are people just holding out hope that the lifts will come off wind hold or do they really not look at the reports before heading to the mountain?

My vote is on option B!!

These are the same people that have no idea the weather..the ones who say we'll see when we get there...yup

Yup! Or even better, the ones who see that the temperature is supposed to max out for the day DOWN IN THE FLATLANDS where they live, at say 35 degrees, and then when the summit temp at 9AM (or more like 10:30AM for this crowd I'm referencing ;) ) is say 5 degrees and never gets above 12 degrees for the day, they wonder why the weathermen "got it wrong" and why their circa 1987 headband isn't keeping them warm enough??? LOL!

kingslug

Go to Belleayre..almost totaly open. Might be my close go to place from now on, especially in spring when the bumps are nice. I learned to ski there, good vibe..The top runs are pretty steep but short. and Hey..they have a gondi..

cdskier

My vote is on option B!!

Mine too!
Yup! Or even better, the ones who see that the temperature is supposed to max out for the day DOWN IN THE FLATLANDS where they live, at say 35 degrees, and then when the summit temp at 9AM (or more like 10:30AM for this crowd I'm referencing ;) ) is say 5 degrees and never gets above 12 degrees for the day, they wonder why the weathermen "got it wrong" and why their circa 1987 headband isn't keeping them warm enough??? LOL!

Hah...another good one!

cdskier

Go to Belleayre..almost totaly open. Might be my close go to place from now on, especially in spring when the bumps are nice. I learned to ski there, good vibe..The top runs are pretty steep but short. and Hey..they have a gondi..

Platty is still my number 1 "close" choice, but Belleayre is number 2 for me. With conditions right now though, I'd pick Belleayre over Platty though due to how much terrain is open at each one. Currently debating if there's a good day this weekend to go to Belleayre.

cdskier

Platty is still my number 1 "close" choice, but Belleayre is number 2 for me. With conditions right now though, I'd pick Belleayre over Platty though due to how much terrain is open at each one. Currently debating if there's a good day this weekend to go to Belleayre.

Just looked at the webcams for Belle and Platty...quite a bit of ugliness :sad:

JimG.

Staff member

Nobody should go to Belleayre this weekend. I'm sure Hunter will fix all the lifts and blow a few feet of snow everywhere.

Stay at Hunter.

cdskier

Nobody should go to Belleayre this weekend. I'm sure Hunter will fix all the lifts and blow a few feet of snow everywhere.

Stay at Hunter.

I haven't been to Hunter in many years...so "Stay at Hunter" doesn't apply to me. :p

JimG.

Staff member

In all seriousness, it's a toss up. Belle is going to be a madhouse this weekend no matter what day it is especially with the obvious infrastructure issues at Hunter.

Even though conditions right now suck (my last 3 ski days were storm skiing at K, a powder day at Pico, and a day at Greek 100% open) I really want to get a few days in but I'm seriously considering just bagging it and staying home. If you decide to go to Belle I would definitely make the trip to perhaps ski a few runs with you. I think I will need the motivation.

JimG.

Staff member
So then, you will be at Belleayre? :)

I didn't get a Peaks pass this season...Belle season pass/MAX.

With MAX going away I thought I would go back to Peaks but the current lift issues have me spooked.

I guess I will wait to see what the Ikon pass looks like. Or maybe finally step up and get a Killington pass.

Bandit2941

In all seriousness, it's a toss up. Belle is going to be a madhouse this weekend no matter what day it is especially with the obvious infrastructure issues at Hunter.

Even though conditions right now suck (my last 3 ski days were storm skiing at K, a powder day at Pico, and a day at Greek 100% open) I really want to get a few days in but I'm seriously considering just bagging it and staying home. If you decide to go to Belle I would definitely make the trip to perhaps ski a few runs with you. I think I will need the motivation.

Belleayre should be decent on Sunday as they're saying 3-6" of snow for the area Saturday night. I'm going to skip tomorrow because of the refreeze but get an early start on Sunday.

If anyone wants to take a few runs I'm game!

cdskier

I'm having a difficult time convincing myself that it would be worth spending the $60 or so on a lift ticket to deal with crowds and the current conditions. If conditions were going to be good I'd have a much easier time convincing myself I could put up with the crowds without thinking I wasted money. Last year on the Monday of President's weekend Belleayre was pretty empty, but it was also frozen quite solid after a warm Saturday/Sunday. This year the weather forecast for Monday doesn't look great. Sunday looks good weather-wise up there, but I'm looking at the prospect of having to cleanup 6-8" of snow in NJ before I could leave in the morning. If I end up deciding to go, I'll let you know though. Always cool to meet people from this board and ski with them a few runs.

BenedictGomez

I'm having a difficult time convincing myself that it would be worth spending the $60 or so on a lift ticket to deal with crowds and the current conditions. If conditions were going to be good I'd have a much easier time convincing myself I could put up with the crowds without thinking I wasted money.

I get that entirely. This is what I'm wondering. That and the 14 hour round-trip drive.