• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone on Verizon

skijay

I saw it on the news but did not see anything on the corp site or verizonwireless.com. Is it true that it is coming to VZ in January of 2011?

Glenn

This rumor seems to come up every so often. It certainly would be interesting if it happen. You'd just have to make sure you hold the phone correctly before making calls. :razz:

drjeff

It's been reported widely that AT&T has an EXCLUSIVE arrangement with Apple through basically mid 2012 for the iPhone. Somehow I don't see AT&T agreeing to let a competitor in on the iPhone any sooner than their contractually obligated too, as it's making them a ton of $$

What does seem to happen in the Verizon/iPhone rumor mill with some degree of regularity, is that when Apple comes out with a new version and/or AT&T has a new plan designed to lock iPhone customers up for 2 years, then the old Verizon iPhone rumors tend to increase. :idea: :rolleyes:

wa-loaf

There are always ways out of contracts. I'm sure if Apple really wanted to get out, they could. There will be no official word either way until Jan 11 because of Apples secrecy. and there's no way they would blow a Christmas shopping season. They do like to announce new products and stuff in January, so you never know. But if you are holding out for it I wouldn't bother.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Damn. I really want an iPhone (I know, stupid) and it's contract time again in Sept with Verizon... We were thinking of jumping ship this time. You're right, though, wa-loaf--not really news to make decisions over.

o3jeff

I've heard from a disgruntled AT&T worker that it is probably unlikely that it will happen until the contract it over.

I am pretty sure ATT will fight pretty hard to keep them since the iphone is the best thing they have going for them.

dmc

The IPhone would put a hurt on the Verizon network...

I ordered my IPhone 4 yesterday... :) It's my work phone but my company may drop AT&T. Because of that we had to pay but at the lower price. I'm hoping they switch to Verizon so I can get a Droid.

bvibert

Staff member
My understanding is that Verizon had first crack at the iPhone, but turned it down. At least part of the reason was because of the non-replaceable battery. I don't know if it's true, but it's interesting if it is.

As a Verizon customer I personally don't care, they have phones that reportedly do everything just as well as the iPhone with the added bonus of not being an Apple product. :p

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My understanding is that Verizon had first crack at the iPhone, but turned it down. At least part of the reason was because of the non-replaceable battery. I don't know if it's true, but it's interesting if it is.

As a Verizon customer I personally don't care, they have phones that reportedly do everything just as well as the iPhone with the added bonus of not being an Apple product. :p
But, Mr.-High-And-Mighty ;), your company worked out a better deal with AT&T than Verizon...

wa-loaf

They did have first crack at it, but they didn't want to give up the control that ATT did. e.g. being sold independent of Verizon stores, having Apple control the app store, etc ...

bvibert

Staff member
They did have first crack at it, but they didn't want to give up the control that ATT did. e.g. being sold independent of Verizon stores, having Apple control the app store, etc ...

Ah yes, I knew there was another factor to it too.

Geoff

I'll be curious to see what Apple comes out with when they make a CDMA phone. I doubt I'll ever get one since I need an email machine with a QWERTY keyboard.

dmc

I picked up a Droid last month and liking it a lot better than the Blackberry it replaced.

Was talking to a guy on a plane yesterday that said he saw a sneak preview of a Droid Pad.. Said it was cobbled together but seriously cool... He was a another Apple hater because of the Flash thing. But he did agree that Flash was heavy and is easily replaced by HTML5. Wich is light and free..