• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is 4WD/AWD a neccesity on your ski vehicle?

Cheese

Guy who works for me runs his snows year round. Says they are far supior to regular tires, and that there is no difference to the life of the tire....
(I dont listen to him)

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Best tire advice I ever got was

Traction
Tread life
Quiet ride

Pick any 2

deadheadskier

Staff member
If the New Hampshire Highway Department is going to be asleep and not at the wheel so badly like they were this morning, I'm almost in favor of mandating snow tires on vehicles during winter.

In 22 years of driving, never have I seen such piss poor performance by a Highway Department. It took 55 minutes to travel 6 miles on 101. Cars and trucks off the road left and right, following less than an inch of snow. Wasn't a salt truck to be found. It was comical. It reminded me of watching TV footage of snowstorms in Georgia and how ill-prepared the South is at dealing with snow.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If the New Hampshire Highway Department is going to be asleep and not at the wheel so badly like they were this morning, I'm almost in favor of mandating snow tires on vehicles during winter.

In 22 years of driving, never have I seen such piss poor performance by a Highway Department. It took 55 minutes to travel 6 miles on 101. Cars and trucks off the road left and right, following less than an inch of snow. Wasn't a salt truck to be found. It was comical. It reminded me of watching TV footage of snowstorms in Georgia and how ill-prepared the South is at dealing with snow.
Vermont seems to have been doing the same thing the last few years for the first snowstorm/slippery road event (e.g. last weekend on I-89). It is almost like they are trying to remind the public to slow down.

dmc

Those Wiener Mobile drivers think they are immune to everything...
The false sense of security is ridiculous...

AdironRider

Vermont seems to have been doing the same thing the last few years for the first snowstorm/slippery road event (e.g. last weekend on I-89). It is almost like they are trying to remind the public to slow down.

My pops oversees plowing for the city of Nashua, (well maybe that was the problem, he was still recouping from a quintuple bypass and isn't on duty currently) but he did mention a couple things. Due to union regs as well as some other things (NIMBYS who don't want to hear the plows, maintenance practices, asphalt preservation, etc a myriad of different things), plowing only operates usually on a schedule. They cant just run passes everywhere so its clear. Also, no matter what they do, its always a shitshow on the first real storm. Its not a result of plowing, people just don't drive like they should on the first snowy day. So ultimately, its a three way reason on the plowing side, no previous salt or sand being laid down, union regulations on shifts and driving time, and maintenance of the roadways and vehicles that ultimate causes the problem. And the major, and ultimate cause, shitty driving. For one inch of snow, the plows will do more damage to the road than is ultimately warranted.

ScottySkis

I think their trying to save money but when majority of tourism is skiing doesn't make sense to not clear the highways.

AdironRider

If you think the ski industry has any part of the decision of whether to plow or not you are delusional. Remember last year during the biggest storm of the year (aka the best ski weekend of the year) they made it illegal to drive.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

In 22 years of driving, never have I seen such piss poor performance by a Highway Department.

Now wait a minute. I'll give you the highway department's failings, but there's enough blame to spread around everywhere. You know of course that the first snow of the season always generates a circus of driving performance regardless of road conditions. Everything from the panicking the white-knuckle driver to the fearless yahoo who must demonstrate his driving prowess to all who will watch.
Pull up a window seat at Dunkin' Donuts, grab a muffin and watch the show.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Now wait a minute. I'll give you the highway department's failings, but there's enough blame to spread around everywhere. You know of course that the first snow of the season always generates a circus of driving performance regardless of road conditions. Everything from the panicking the white-knuckle driver to the fearless yahoo who must demonstrate his driving prowess to all who will watch.
Pull up a window seat at Dunkin' Donuts, grab a muffin and watch the show.

Bill,

101 was really slick. It was almost black ice conditions. Even mid-winter seasoned drivers would've struggled going over 30 in spots. Salt was needed. No plowing, just the most minuscule amount of salt and things would've been fine. Like I said; I've been driving for 22 years now and I've never seen anything like it. The Highway Department wasn't prepared or simply chose not to act. They need to be prepared for small squalls like this to just go out before it arrives and lay down a bit of salt to prevent the precipitation from sticking. It was almost like they were gambling that the temp warm up enough for the precipitation to fall as rain. Their decision to not to do anything only created more work for everyone else (police, emergency workers, etc.) and massive frustration for anyone else on the road.

Cornhead

If you think the ski industry has any part of the decision of whether to plow or not you are delusional. Remember last year during the biggest storm of the year (aka the best ski weekend of the year) they made it illegal to drive.

Sure made for one great uncrowded powder day a da Loaf. Sometimes you find yourself in the right place at the right time.;)

AdironRider

Sure made for one great uncrowded powder day a da Loaf. Sometimes you find yourself in the right place at the right time.;)

No doubt. If I was there Id have driven anyways. Also, is this Deadheads "get off my lawn" moment where he becomes the old guy lamenting the days of yore?

ScottySkis

First winter driving on road home tonight in snow and ice very very happy I got snow tires, now if I could figure out how to fix defoster on windshield with freezing to death.