• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is 4WD/AWD a neccesity on your ski vehicle?

steamboat1

First winter driving on road home tonight in snow and ice very very happy I got snow tires, now if I could figure out how to fix defoster on windshield with freezing to death.

Probably your thermostat. It's relatively inexpensive to replace.

Either that or you need to shut off the AC.

Cornhead

Heat, and a working windshield washer sprayer, are highly overrated for Winter driving. ;) Have you tried running the heat and ac together? Seemed to work for me for the two hours I drove your car. You've got something weird going on, you shouldn't need the ac on to defog your windshield. It did fog up for me when I tried just heat without the ac. There must be moister entering the system somehow, heater core leak? You would think you'd smell coolant if this were true, unless there's just water, or very little antifreeze, in your cooling system. You'll find that out soon enough.

El Bishop

Here's a question: anyone ever have a flat tire with snowtires and then have to put the donut on? How does that handle?

KD7000

Here's a question: anyone ever have a flat tire with snowtires and then have to put the donut on?
Interestingly, this is an unanticipated benefit of having a second set of seasonal wheels and tires. On more than one occasion, I've used one of my idle wheel/tires as a spare, so I didn't have to run an undersize donut for any amount of time other than the ride home.

bigbog

In place of the stock, light jacks...the heavy, hydraulic, high-lift jacks double as added weight...put over the rear axle in the winter. No need for adding cinder blocks...etc.
Oh yeah...a regular sized wheel/tire saves the day when needed...

ScottySkis

An inch of ice this morning were I live. My snow tires went through the ice no problem. If had my season tires on I am sure I be sitting on a local road waiting AAA to come. Best thing I did for me and my car was get snow tires.

bigbog

Sure made for one great uncrowded powder day a da Loaf. Sometimes you find yourself in the right place at the right time.;)
What HAS to happen is for barriers to #16(Kingfield to Stratton) to be put up...prohibiting travel from CVA to the mountain, prior to noontime, on a day of 12"+ of new snow...:-D.
Horrible damage done to a race ski's base on a pow day....:eek:

steamboat1

Gotta put the snows on my Subi some time soon. Haven't had need for them yet on my two trips to VT. but hopefully that will change. Just beat the snow last night driving down. It didn't start snowing until I hit NYC & even then there was no accumulation yet.

C-Rex

I'm still debating whether to buy snows for my WRX. I'd rather not spend the money, but if the all-seasons aren't going to cut it in heavy snow, I will not let them stop me from getting to the mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The way I see it, buying snows simply prolongs the life of my summer tires. I don't feel like I spend considerably more on tires over the life of a vehicle by buying snows vs only buying all seasons.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm still debating whether to buy snows for my WRX. I'd rather not spend the money, but if the all-seasons aren't going to cut it in heavy snow, I will not let them stop me from getting to the mountain.

Many people forget that snows do more than give you traction in the snow. They are generally made of a softer rubber, which makes slippery surfaces more navigable and the driver more comfortable. Because of the soft rubber, they wear out sooner than summer tires. Most people claim to get about 20-30K miles on a set of snows. Seems to be about what we are getting.

C-Rex

Oh, I know all about the advantages. Its just a want verses need thing. I don't want to spend $600-800 if I can get by without them. Even if I don't this year I will by next season.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Oh, I know all about the advantages. Its just a want verses need thing. I don't want to spend $600-800 if I can get by without them. Even if I don't this year I will by next season.
I went without snows for 20 years. Then I started driving during storms to get to the pow, and up slippery steep roads. If you're only going to be on the highways that are clear and salted, a good rain rated tire will be good. Just don't go too early before the roads are treated. Access roads are generally well taken care of but if the resort is quite a distance off the main highway, you'll just have to go a bit slower.

Edd

I've been driving Subarus for the last 10 years with all seasons. Many ski trips and storms and I've never gotten stuck or had to turn around.

My current Forester tracks better than my old Legacy wagon, I think because of the stability/traction control or whatever it has.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

You don't absolutely need snow tires on a Subi. I drove several years without them & never got stuck either. I did slip & slide a little on occasion but that's about it. AWD is pretty good at keeping you moving forward with or without snows. Where you will see a major difference is in is in your cornering ability. I've seen plenty of Subi's in a ditch off the side of the road in a snowstorm. Bet you the majority of them didn't have snow tires. Another important advantage of snows is your ability to make sudden stops in snow. When you see that guy in front of you start fish tailing all over the road it's a comfortable feeling when you hit the brakes & can stop without going into a skid. I worry more about the guy behind me being able to stop. Like DHS said in the long run it really doesn't cost much extra because you'll get twice the life out of both sets of tires. Where it does cost more is having to remount tires twice a year. I've been lucky so far because I bought both sets of tires from the same dealer & so far he has remounted my tires free of charge. I don't think he'll do that forever unless I buy another set of tires from him.

C-Rex

Also, remounting tires over and over isn't a good idea if it can be avoided. You can damage the bead and sidewall making them leak air or possibly go out of round. This is more common with lower profile tires with stiff sidewalls but still something to think about.

I know a bunch of you will say you've remounted tires all your life and never had a problem. Good for you, but it does happen. And if you drive an AWD car you can't just replace one if the others are worn. The difference in diameter will cause stress to your center differential and can lead to problems.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have my snows on a dedicated set of basic steel rims. No need for remounting. If I were so inclined, I could swap the summer and winter tires out for free on my own, but I'm lazy and just have my mechanic do it along with an oil change in the fall and spring for $20; same amount he charges for a tire a rotation.